My new reef tank 2019

juannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks oly I plan to do it in September now I'm on vacation, when I have the results I will show you. Thanks again. I will continue the evolution of your tank is an inspiration to me.

Gibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good oly's one of the best reef tank i've ever seen. I'm running fauna marin too but i'm in trouble with nitrients stabilizing (my tank is 3 years old and it's more difficult without carbon source).
How many zeolith and at what flow are you running it? And what is your exchange schedule for that?

juannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your videos, good work. Brutal coral growth. In your previous tank you also used a zeolite reactor? Don't you use any FM food for your corals?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love your videos, good work. Brutal coral growth. In your previous tank you also used a zeolite reactor? Don't you use any FM food for your corals?
In my previous tank I used it just for the last few month before it crashed...
I use every FM food product, but just about 50% of the recommended amount.

juannnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you explain your feeding routines?
Do you use zeolite to lower nutrients or feed corals? Have you noticed much improvement when using it? I used it for years and we didn't get good results

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it for nutrient export. For me it's impossible to say what product causes one or another effect.
The feeding routine is as recommended by Fauna Marin. I don't think it makes sence to explain every single day routine, as none can copy a tank or a routine for similar results. I don't do anything special, just following rules and recommendations. :)

Gibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow exactly the Fauna Marin HTU.
Whats the problem with your nutrients?
So you are using 100 grams/100 liters and 100 lt/h every 100 grams?
My nutrients is a bit unstable expecially on po4 side but i'm coming from a depot problem.
Nitrates after 6 months of dosing seems stabilizing around 8 ppm now.
I'm using Bacto Energy to try to stabilize a bit but for now the po4 is going up (0.15 ppm). Seems it's my depot still coming from the rocks and transformed to bio mass making it measurable.

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are using 100 grams/100 liters and 100 lt/h every 100 grams?
My nutrients is a bit unstable expecially on po4 side but i'm coming from a depot problem.
Nitrates after 6 months of dosing seems stabilizing around 8 ppm now.
I'm using Bacto Energy to try to stabilize a bit but for now the po4 is going up (0.15 ppm). Seems it's my depot still coming from the rocks and transformed to bio mass making it measurable.
I use that amount yes, but no idea about the lt/h ratio, as I use a Skimz ZAR 127. There is no possibility to change the flow setting. In my old tank I had the same problem with depot aswell, it was impossible to lower them with zeolith or any other filtration method. Even 95% water exchange didn't help anything. Do you use Min S?

Gibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment no Min S but i've the new and the old on my products collection. For you it can help?

Gibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new min s solved 50% of my nutrient problem in my old tank. Po4 came down from 0.24 to 0.10!
I've used in the past and seems that with low po4 it dark the corals. Maybe with some po4 it works better :)

Gibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing FM ICP test every month to get all params in check. On my last ICP po4 detected was very low (0.02) but using adsorber. So, i've tryied to dose some bacto energy (carbon source) leaving adsorber in the filter over time (i think now they're saturated) and po4 goes up very quickly to 0.12 causing some issues on corals. Now, in according with FM i'm using less bacto energy because seems dosing it bacteria get out po4 depot from the rocks and move it to the water column where i can detect them.
So the strategy seems: dose carbon source very slowly and maintain the value of po4 with adsorber for the moment. When the depot start to lower his effect i think i can reduce adsorber until i've removed it completely and maintain the inorganic values only with cabon source.
Min s i think it contains oil based carbon source and amino acids that it boost bacteria.
The very strange effect from my depot transformed to po4 is that in theory it should be skimmed off instead to accumulate to po4 but skimmer runs without extract too much.

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing FM ICP test every month to get all params in check. On my last ICP po4 detected was very low (0.02) but using adsorber. So, i've tryied to dose some bacto energy (carbon source) leaving adsorber in the filter over time (i think now they're saturated) and po4 goes up very quickly to 0.12 causing some issues on corals. Now, in according with FM i'm using less bacto energy because seems dosing it bacteria get out po4 depot from the rocks and move it to the water column where i can detect them.
So the strategy seems: dose carbon source very slowly and maintain the value of po4 with adsorber for the moment. When the depot start to lower his effect i think i can reduce adsorber until i've removed it completely and maintain the inorganic values only with cabon source.
Min s i think it contains oil based carbon source and amino acids that it boost bacteria.
The very strange effect from my depot transformed to po4 is that in theory it should be skimmed off instead to accumulate to po4 but skimmer runs without extract too much.
why do you think that Po4 can be skimmed out of the water?

Gibo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do you think that Po4 can be skimmed out of the water?
By Phosphorous accumulator bacteria. Bacteria needs po4 to create their "structure", eat nitrogen and carbon and dead. After they removed from the system by the skimmer. Or is fantasy? :)

OP
OP
Olys_Tank

Olys_Tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By Phosphorous accumulator bacteria. Bacteria needs po4 to create their "structure", eat nitrogen and carbon and dead. After they removed from the system by the skimmer. Or is fantasy? :)

I don't know if there are many dead bacteria in the skim foam. I remember having seen a paper where someone analysed that foam. There was a lot of N, but extremly little P.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 42 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.9%
Back