My New Reefer 170 Build (moved from Beginners)

LarryJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received my Reefer 170--and intend on trying to update getting it all set up.

Unfortunately we are in the middle of retiling our living room and remodeling our kitchen so the house is a mess and this thread may have very few entries for now, but I will try to keep it updated. I don't expect to put water in the tank for at least 3 weeks.

My equipment so far:

Via Aqua 200w heater
ReefLED 90 Lighting
Sicce Syncra 3 Return Pump
Two Eflux Wave Pumps

Expecting to purchase:
Quantum 120 protein skimmer

I also expect to use Turbostart 900 for cycling and intend on adding about 20 lbs of sand and 30 lbs +/- of rock

I live within walking distance from the Gulf of Mexico so intend on using filtered seawater for water changes. The water at the beach here for the most part is quite clean. But I am intending on using commercial DI water and Pro Reef Salt to make my initial fill of the tank and sump.

I have the cabinet built (great job by Red Sea--quality cabinet) which went together quite well.

More to follow-0

Thanks-

Would like to know if anyone has any comments.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice idea.... real sea water and maybe real beach sand?

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I used natural beach sand on my build. Following love a good build. I also use NSW and filter through a 5 micron sock. Good as gold all the natural bacteria benefits specifically during your cycling process which will help speed it up.

OP
OP
LarryJ

LarryJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys-I did not intend on using beach sand--where I live it is pretty fine stuff and I am concerned about it blowing all over the place. NW Florida is kinda known for the very white sand. For my first tank, I think I will stick with purchased sand since I don't need too much.

About the seawater filtering, I was intending on using a sieve. I will look for one in 5 micron size.

Thanks-

Larry

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back