(Edit: no longer new and no longer have the tank)My new Saltwater Tank (also new to the hobby)

What fish could I get?

• Clown

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Goby

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Fire shrimp

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to add, being as this is a new tank, you have some ugly stages coming. DO NOT LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU. We all went through some sort of ugly stage or all of them lol. It is part of a new tank and all of it can be worked through and resolved. Just ask here and someone will chime in to help.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS told me to test every week so what should I do

At this stage with the system still new, I would check Ammonia and nitrites (you need this one as well as the nitrate) daily to see if enough beneficial is enough to keep any spikes from taking place. JMHO

EDIT: @Mjrjj23^^^ you beat me to it. :) Good deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think nitrites are important as well. You want to test all 3 to make sure your cycle is moving along. You should get to point where your ammonia test always reads zero. If your ammonia is reading zero but you are showing nitrates your moving in the right direction. Just take it nice and slow. A few extra weeks is worth the wait
K thks

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20181215_104514.gif

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant to add, being as this is a new tank, you have some ugly stages coming. DO NOT LET THIS DISCOURAGE YOU. We all went through some sort of ugly stage or all of them lol. It is part of a new tank and all of it can be worked through and resolved. Just ask here and someone will chime in to help.
Thks. If I need any help can I ask you?

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this stage with the system still new, I would check Ammonia and nitrites (you need this one as well as the nitrate) daily to see if enough beneficial is enough to keep any spikes from taking place. JMHO

EDIT: @Mjrjj23^^^ you beat me to it. :) Good deal.
Ok thank you

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thks. If I need any help can I ask you?
You can ask me, or make a post in the forum related to your issue or question. There are also some really good stickies for people just starting in the hobby and they will help a ton.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so much has changed since this first post. I don’t even own the tank anymore lol

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best advice I have received is to have patience. Do not be in a hurry. Test the water so much that you can perform the tests without looking at the instructions. I tested my new tank daily for the first several months and then back it down to weekly on most tests. You want to have as much information as possible so if/when something goes wrong you can look at the data and fix it cause you know what it is.

Plus when there is a problem the first question everyone on this site will ask is "What are the tanks perimeters?" In order for us to help you we have to have this information. The wealth of knowledge on this site is unmatched. You are in good hands.

Welcome to the best group of overly involved and passionate reef tank owners in the world!!!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow so much has changed since this first post. I don’t even own the tank anymore lol

Sorry to hear it crashed on you. Any plans to start another tank or have you already?

BGrand

Only dead fish swim with the stream.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just caught that. LOL

1573052507621.png

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on it. For now, I’m just researching

That's good news and there is nothing wrong with research. And as said above, ask questions here as there are a ton of willing and able folks to help along the way.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back