My new SP Goniopora only opens at night

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for less than a week. On the sandbed. Excellent Params etc. Moderate flow. Polyps about quarter inch long like cute little flowers in day. After lights out about 1 inch. Any thoughts?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it for less than a week. On the sandbed. Excellent Params etc. Moderate flow. Polyps about quarter inch long like cute little flowers in day. After lights out about 1 inch. Any thoughts?
Might be in too high lighting I’m not sure honestly. I have a goni that is similar but more open at day. Very open at night it’s weird.

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be in too high lighting I’m not sure honestly. I have a goni that is similar but more open at day. Very open at night it’s weird.
20210305_043229.jpg
night time

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try moving it to a shaded spot of the tank and see if it opens during the day
Thanks. I'm going to take your advice. At the LFS it was under extremely harsh Kessil lighting. Too bright and the Spectrum seemed all wrong to me. So maybe there's a bit of transfer shock as well. This morning I caught it with a very enlongated Stinger tentacle out. Now I have a Palm Tree Coral that has a dead polyp dangling off of it. I didn't think this little ghani would have such a long reach. M learning. Little guy packs a big punch

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm going to take your advice. At the LFS it was under extremely harsh Kessil lighting. Too bright and the Spectrum seemed all wrong to me. So maybe there's a bit of transfer shock as well. This morning I caught it with a very enlongated Stinger tentacle out. Now I have a Palm Tree Coral that has a dead polyp dangling off of it. I didn't think this little ghani would have such a long reach. M learning. Little guy packs a big punch
Yeah Goni’s from my experience are really tricky sometimes. I recently also got a glitter goni and it was half open the first day and now it just sits there completely closed. The other Goni’s and alveopora are fine. Kinda tricky IMO maybe the shaded area will help yours as I’ll try that with mine also!!

OP
OP
LardLad

LardLad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Goni’s from my experience are really tricky sometimes. I recently also got a glitter goni and it was half open the first day and now it just sits there completely closed. The other Goni’s and alveopora are fine. Kinda tricky IMO maybe the shaded area will help yours as I’ll try that with mine also!!
Keep in touch. Let me know how it works

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back