My new SPS experiment tank - Can it be done?

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome everyone. My 150 gallon SPS tank is cruising along and looking better everyday. So I thought hey, let's start another tank. However, this will be a small experiment tank. It will be a 20 gallon long tank with an "Old" school feel.

What I want to try and accomplish with this tank.

1. Lighting - Here is the main reason for starting the tank. I want to make a lighting system only consisting of 100W CFL lightbulbs rated at 6500K and will supplement with one Actinic bulb. I am thinking of 6 bulbs max. I want to experiment to see if this will grow SPS and if so, how fast.

2. Dose MB7 along with other bacteria right away with dry rock and see how quick I can add SPS corals.

3. No sump. Will only use a hang on back Marineland bio wheel filter and use natural methods of nutrient export with bacteria, etc.

4. Flow will be two small powerheads.

5. Still thinking of ATO ideas

5. Instant Ocean Salt

6. Will have an Apex on the system to monitor temp and pH.

I have everything I need to get started so it shouldn't cost me anything to get this going. I will build the stand this week and hopefully have it up and running in a week or so.

I will be using SPS frags from my 150 for the 20.

Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas I can try.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to run your alk high?

Honestly, haven't thought about it. Depends on how the nutrients look and how well the lights work. From no skimmer, and just the bio wheel then I could get a way with running higher Alk with higher nutrients.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio-wheel and an apex on the same tank! Lol. That’s awesome. I’ll be following along!

Lol. But its the older Apex. Does that count? Haha. I had it laying around so I figured, why not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will all work fine; it was done for years. Old School uses live rock, though. ;-)

Use 4 powerheads, not 2. Keep an eye on heat from the lights.

I know. That's the draw back. The main focus of old school was the lights and filtration. Dry rock with quick addition of SPS would just be a bonus.

I tried to find some threads or sites showing tanks with CFl light bulbs and couldn't find any. Only power compacts, halides, and VHO's.

I didn't start reefing until early 2000's but I always heard of using the 6500k bulbs. The spectrum was not pleasant but they grew corals and "algae" very well. Always wanted to try it out and see how well they grow.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting on the tank today. My plan is to have aquacaping done and water in the tank by tomorrow. Will work on canopy next weekend. I ordered my bulbs I am going to use. They are not CFL but I believe I will get good results from them.

I have this 15w one over my chaeto and the 40w over my mangroves. I pulled the chaeto 6 months ago when I ran Vibrant and haven't put it back since, yet. I changed up my scape in my 150 gallon and moved a rock of GSP and a rock of mushrooms under the 15w. In two weeks the mushrooms have doubled and the GSP is growing up the glass. Seems positive so far.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back