My new Sump & Refugium plum/design, any advise?

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I've been out of Aquariums for 10 years, after running all sorts for 15 before hand. So I had lots of pieces and parts and someone needed their 150g gone, I gladly accepted! I have about 200lbs dry rock that sat for a week in RO flushed every other day. Roughly 120lbs of live rock covered in coraline, but not one actual creature.
I'm going overboard possibly with the flow, but I want the capabilitie to have anything on the reef. I'm using an little giant outboard of the sump to one return, and a Mag 18 to the other return. Both have ball valves and another valve connecting left and right returns...giving me flexibility to use either pump to supply the 1" plumbed returns, or both. 1" standpipe pulling full siphon, T'ed off, one side to the main old school bio-ball sump. The other side drains through a UV then into a 3 section 29g fuge. Wanted tumbling algae ball in center section, possibly something in the 1st chamber as well. The sump has an original Euroreef that I put a Mag 9.5 on with fractioning impeller and venturi. Lots of bubbles, Wow!
I'm looking for any advise or suggestions as to the contents of the refugium or plumbing mods if the consensus is that a tumbling ball is better than a growing mass. Full spec LED fixture mounted above. Thanks for reading through, and excited to be back in the chase!
20191013_180340.jpg
20191013_212407.jpg

20191013_194008.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should i try for getting the perfect tumble from the one sides drain...or just throw a tiny powerhead in the middle?

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now adays, The rock wall look is old school. More towards individual islands. But, good luck!

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which ever is easier for you. I use a ph but must be cleaned often...if you use a drain line should be less maintenance.

OP
OP
T

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies! I already tore down the entire rock wall look for 2 tall islands with a almost bare spot in the middle. My temp with the 3 250w halides on for 10 - 14 hours is already around 82 degrees. I added a fan to the right side in the corner, blowing across the top and in the morning im currently at 78.8. Need less time with the halides either way, im already growing fine green algae on the rocks...part of the cycle im hoping. Are those controllers favored to just setting the TStat on the heater? I have a temp controller just never used one on my own tanks.
Cheato and venting the stand are next on list for this weekend...oh btw, my halides have to be ancient, which can throw off color and grow algae?? Are cheapy MH ok, need ballast too, but there going to have to work for now...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back