My New tank has a disappointingly noisy drain

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a gate valve to the main overflow pipe and you'll be able to dial it in to match whatever return flow you want to use. As others mentioned it will take a little bit of patience to dial it in but when you do it should be silent.

Not a good idea to use a gate valve on the main drain unless you also have a secondary drain. Asking for disaster.

RandyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Add a gate valve to the main overflow pipe and you'll be able to dial it in to match whatever return flow you want to use. As others mentioned it will take a little bit of patience to dial it in but when you do it should be silent.

this is never a good idea if there is only one drain setup in an overflow. Restricting the flow without an emergency drain is a sure fire way to flood your floor if a snail, algae or something else gets stuck in the drain.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to do something with the setup it came with. It came with this device not sure what it is to help with the noise. It fits inside the pipe.
7D9D3896-6301-4C7C-9324-5E1AE3BF1FB2.jpeg

Wow, haven’t seen one of those in a long time. It’s intended to ‘force’ laminar flow down the drain to reduce turbulence noise. I also see that there’s a blue airline in the overflow but cannot tell where it ends up?

The problem with those drain inserts, which is why they fell out of favor I’d imagine, is they reduce drain capacity.

ChicagoChad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a search for a herbie overflow. You’ll have to redo your plumbing and likely run your return out the back and over the top (depending on how many holes are drilled) but it is 100% worth it. Totally silent once set up correctly. You’ll never get it quiet with the way it is currently set up.
100% AGREE!

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, haven’t seen one of those in a long time. It’s intended to ‘force’ laminar flow down the drain to reduce turbulence noise. I also see that there’s a blue airline in the overflow bit cannot tell where it ends up?
It Goes all the way down to the bottom of the overflow and out the corner to an air stone. Not using it. It came with.

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, haven’t seen one of those in a long time. It’s intended to ‘force’ laminar flow down the drain to reduce turbulence noise. I also see that there’s a blue airline in the overflow but cannot tell where it ends up?

The problem with those drain inserts, which is why they fell out of favor I’d imagine, is they reduce drain capacity.
It’s a lot noisier without it.

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So all I really need to do is a double elbow on top of my overflow pipe that goes below the surface of the water level? Plus a hole in the top for air.

ChicagoChad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Durso drain, by design, will never be silent. To be silent and reliable go over the top with the return and use the two drilled holes for the drain. It's called a Herbie style drain. One of the drains have a full siphon and will be silent. Use that corkscrew thing on the emergency drain.

a730357ef8849b3d86669c8125d03567.jpg

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to do something with the setup it came with. It came with this device not sure what it is to help with the noise. It fits inside the pipe.
7D9D3896-6301-4C7C-9324-5E1AE3BF1FB2.jpeg
Proclear right?

I have the same setup, Proclear 220. Like everything but the noisy overflow. Those are “silencers”, they reduce the sound but not much.

Do you still have the black pipes installed with the slits in the top around the drain pipes? Someone mentioned they took theirs out, not sure it made a difference.

I know I have no room for 90s and would have to move my returns. Still working on making it quieter.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Durso drain, by design, will never be silent. To be silent and reliable go over the top with the return and use the two drilled holes for the drain. It's called a Herbie style drain. One of the drains have a full siphon and will be silent. Use that corkscrew thing on the emergency drain.

+1.

If you do decide you keep the durso setup, as others mentioned... You need the durso standpipe to make it quieter.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A

greed. This is exactly what I would recommend to. It means having an extra pipe for the return going over the tank back wall and into the tank. (makes sure the sump can handle the back syphon so don't put the return to low in the water). But that is the only way you'll get a totally silent drain and enable to run full power on your pump. Reef ready tanks now days come with 3 predrilled holes as appose to 2.

Not familiar with that tank, but if its acrylic you could possibly drill a third hole in the base of the overflow section to add the second drain. I'm not sure. That would be awesome though. Solve all your problems..

As for the silencer I wouldn't use that to be honest. It could easily get blocked by as said, snail. Even algae eventually or just abuikd up of stuff and before you realise it's water all over the floor.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proclear right?

I have the same setup, Proclear 220. Like everything but the noisy overflow. Those are “silencers”, they reduce the sound but not much.

Do you still have the black pipes installed with the slits in the top around the drain pipes? Someone mentioned they took theirs out, not sure it made a difference.

I know I have no room for 90s and would have to move my returns. Still working on making it quieter.
Yes ProClear 100 gal Cylinder. No slits and my drain is a 59mm OD pipe. Not sure I have room for elbows. Not sure I can even remove the drain pipe to modify it. I sent an email asking if it was threaded into the bulkhead at the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A
greed. This is exactly what I would recommend to. It means having an extra pipe for the return going over the tank back wall and into the tank. (makes sure the sump can handle the back syphon so don't put the return to low in the water). But that is the only way you'll get a totally silent drain and enable to run full power on your pump. Reef ready tanks now days come with 3 predrilled holes as appose to 2.

Not familiar with that tank, but if its acrylic you could possibly drill a third hole in the base of the overflow section to add the second drain. I'm not sure. That would be awesome though. Solve all your problems..

As for the silencer I wouldn't use that to be honest. It could easily get blocked by as said, snail. Even algae eventually or just abuikd up of stuff and before you realise it's water all over the floor.
No way to add a second pipe. The overflow section is a piece of acrylic the extends the height of the tank 35”. I’m putting a low level sensor in my sump to my Apex to shut down the return on sump low level.
My best bet maybe to live with it or add the durso double elbow mod.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ProClear 100 gal Cylinder. No slits and my drain is a 59mm OD pipe. Not sure I have room for elbows. Not sure I can even remove the drain pipe to modify it. I sent an email asking if it was threaded into the bulkhead at the bottom of the tank.
Do you have these black pipe that slip over the drains?

79BDE3F6-5E5C-4C1B-946C-BD68525C2545.jpeg

Back