My New tank has a disappointingly noisy drain

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don’t.
12686626-C59A-4BA6-9E84-EFFD202B457F.jpeg
I would contact them and ask. Not sure the exact function but seems to better channel water down the “silencers” to reduce some noise. But again mine still has some noise.

You can see there is no room for 90s and when I looked at the drain bulkhead was a bit worried about modifying the drains (to the point of no return). At the show the drain was very quiet but I didn’t see how much flow they had. If you look at my build thread you can see some pictures of their display at Reefapolooza Chicago.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact them and ask. Not sure the exact function but seems to better channel water down the “silencers” to reduce some noise. But again mine still has some noise.

You can see there is no room for 90s and when I looked at the drain bulkhead was a bit worried about modifying the drains (to the point of no return). At the show the drain was very quiet but I didn’t see how much flow they had. If you look at my build thread you can see some pictures of their display at Reefapolooza Chicago.

Pretty sure they are silencer rings.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listen to this

that would drive me insane!

from the looks of what you have provided I really think your missing a Durso elbow. Plus seeing the small airline tube reinforces that theory! A lot of people add airline tubing to the top of the Durso elbow to further silence the overflow..

Typical overflow plumbing is not glued inside the overflow box. I would be confident to say a little twist and pull and you should pop out that drain pipe. Cut to size and add the Durso elbow. If not you can always purchase the complete assembly from AQUEON or other equivalent and be done.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk but my Red Sea was loud till I tuned my overflow and now it's quiet as hell. Cant hear a drop.

Your Red Sea has a Herbie drain setup which is designed to be tuned with a gate valve. A durso setup which the OP has should not have a valve installed on it therefor it can't be tuned with a valve. You can adjust flow with a DC pump but at the end of the day it won't help much for noise either. :)

OP
OP
AL210

AL210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Pro Clear Aquatics the tank supplier. They said the overflow pipe is glued to the bulkhead in the bottom of the tank. Bulkhead would need to be removed to modify the drain pipe. Can't do that because the tank is full.

They said drain pipe should not be noisy if flow rate is correct. They said 600-800 GPH max. My pump is Apex Core 15. I have 6 foot of head and the Cor is rated for 650GPH at that head height. I have it at 40% and still have noise???

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I contacted Pro Clear Aquatics the tank supplier. They said the overflow pipe is glued to the bulkhead in the bottom of the tank. Bulkhead would need to be removed to modify the drain pipe. Can't do that because the tank is full.

They said drain pipe should not be noisy if flow rate is correct. They said 600-800 GPH max. My pump is Apex Core 15. I have 6 foot of head and the Cor is rated for 650GPH at that head height. I have it at 40% and still have noise???

You have to remember that the pressure in the hose pushing down into the pump is going to reduce the power the longer the hose is and higher it goes... Also if your pump is only rated for 650, it is definitely not 600 when it gets to the top of the tank. At least in my opinion. If you're only running it at 40% then you're barely at like 200GPH, at least I would think. You probably need a bigger return pump.

Im sure someone in here has some mathematical equation for how much GPH you lose per foot of return line.

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never, never, never put a valve of any sort on the only drain.
If it was my tank i would remove the return line and convert it to a 2 pipe herbie setup. Then you can valve the main drain to maintain a full syphon, and leave the secondary for the overflow trickle. The overflow will be very nearly silent this way. You should be able to lower the leven lin the tank a little and suck out the overflow. then you can remove the existing pipes and modify as necessary. Then get an over the back return line to put water back in the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back