My new tank (I am also new to the hobby)

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a fluval sea evo 13.5 about a month and just got water in it 2 weeks ago. My LFS told me to bring back water to test and I did today. They said the water was good enough for a clown and gave me a clown to put in the tank. I just wanted some general advice and suggestions. I am thinking of making it into a nano reef tank. I also have a slight algae problem. Also what other fish could I get?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did up finish your cycle !?
Your max is 2 fish so a clown and goby would be good. Your going to get through an ugly stage with different types of algea .

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did up finish your cycle !?
Your max is 2 fish so a clown and goby would be good. Your going to get through an ugly stage with different types of algea .
Yeah the guy at my LFS said I did and could have a clown in there so I got one. Do you think I could have 2 clowns and a goby and a couple of snails? If the clowns outgrow the tank, I might be getting a bigger tank (maybe 60 or 70 gallons) in December.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
'
If you want more fish look at some of the small nano fish. Your limit will be about 3. Take back the big clown and get maybe a pair of neon blue gobies and a shrimp goby. I would look at small shrimp too.

scott11106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont really think the tank has cycled and the algae issue most like is just part of the cycle. I would not add anything to the tank yet.
what are your parameters and what are all of the details of your system?
also some pictures would be great, then we can really help you more

and by the way, welcome to the world of saltwater

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the guy at my LFS said I did and could have a clown in there so I got one. Do you think I could have 2 clowns and a goby and a couple of snails? If the clowns outgrow the tank, I might be getting a bigger tank (maybe 60 or 70 gallons) in December.
IMO That’s a small tank for 2 clowns and a goby. Did you use live rock ?

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy
'
If you want more fish look at some of the small nano fish. Your limit will be about 3. Take back the big clown and get maybe a pair of neon blue gobies and a shrimp goby. I would look at small shrimp too.
What about the clown, a goby , and a small shrimp?

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to self advertise but take a look at my build thread (link in signature).

I run the same tank (with clown and firefish) and you might like to read my progress as it will give you some idea of what's in store for you.

There's a Facebook group for this tank which is extremely active - it's good for seeing what mods people have made but so many overstock this tank, so I'd only follow advice you see here, generally speaking.

Make sure you start your own build thread if not already done :)

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to self advertise but take a look at my build thread (link in signature).

I run the same tank (with clown and firefish) and you might like to read my progress as it will give you some idea of what's in store for you.

There's a Facebook group for this tank which is extremely active - it's good for seeing what mods people have made but so many overstock this tank, so I'd only follow advice you see here, generally speaking.

Make sure you start your own build thread if not already done :)
Thks. How do I start a build thread and also, since you have the same tank can I ask you questions if I have any in the future? Also I m thinking of getting an icecap salinity/temp, any advice?

Crazeh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course, just sent me a message or post in the forums - lots of people have this tank :)

You can start a build thread in the members area here (mine is under nano reefs): https://www.reef2reef.com/categories/members-aquarium-discussion.321/

If you then go to this link and 'Join User Group' on the 'Build Thread Contributor' section, you will get a badge under your avatar: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/join-user-groups

I've never used one of those IceCap meters. They look great, but for the price you could get yourself a decent refractometer, temperature probe, and some to spare (in case budget is a concern). Research some reviews and see if you think it would be worth it. If you have bad eye-sight, then refractometers can be hard to use, but otherwise are easy, simple, accurate, and can be re-calibrated.

I use a refractometer and have a line marked on chamber 3 of the tank (this is where water loss through evaporation shows first). As the water drops, I top it back up to the line manually with RODI water. Only need to do this every 2-3 days, and my salinity has been stable at 1.025 +/- 0.001 since I started (so over 9 months). Despite being a nano it's quite easy to maintain the salinity, but keep in mind I'm in the UK where the climate helps me out. You could also implement an auto top off in the future.

As for temperature I like to have a constant LCD display near the tank, with a probe sitting in the water. It allows me to easily check the tank temperature without any effort.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes of course, just sent me a message or post in the forums - lots of people have this tank :)

You can start a build thread in the members area here (mine is under nano reefs): https://www.reef2reef.com/categories/members-aquarium-discussion.321/

If you then go to this link and 'Join User Group' on the 'Build Thread Contributor' section, you will get a badge under your avatar: https://www.reef2reef.com/account/join-user-groups

I've never used one of those IceCap meters. They look great, but for the price you could get yourself a decent refractometer, temperature probe, and some to spare (in case budget is a concern). Research some reviews and see if you think it would be worth it. If you have bad eye-sight, then refractometers can be hard to use, but otherwise are easy, simple, accurate, and can be re-calibrated.

I use a refractometer and have a line marked on chamber 3 of the tank (this is where water loss through evaporation shows first). As the water drops, I top it back up to the line manually with RODI water. Only need to do this every 2-3 days, and my salinity has been stable at 1.025 +/- 0.001 since I started (so over 9 months). Despite being a nano it's quite easy to maintain the salinity, but keep in mind I'm in the UK where the climate helps me out. You could also implement an auto top off in the future.

As for temperature I like to have a constant LCD display near the tank, with a probe sitting in the water. It allows me to easily check the tank temperature without any effort.
i never said thanks so here it is: thanks. even Though this thread is from almost a year ago and I don’t even have the tank anymore...

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont really think the tank has cycled and the algae issue most like is just part of the cycle. I would not add anything to the tank yet.
what are your parameters and what are all of the details of your system?
also some pictures would be great, then we can really help you more

and by the way, welcome to the world of saltwater
+1 on this. Cycling takes at least 1 month, preferably longer. The algae is definitely part of the cycling process.

It might not be too big of an issue right now. But do not go addind more fish or any corals for at least another month or two.

Because at this point, you are still cycling, with the Clown being used in place of a damsel, which is what a lot of people would do before to get the cycling started as damsels are hardy and (at times) appear to be nearly impossible to kill.

But definitely wait to add more fish, corals, and any "large" invertebrates, as the bioload increase really needs the tank to be cycled in order to not cause a crash. If you were to get impatient and add more fish and corals now, then you would just be causing an increase your overall expenses in the long run as you will most likely lose all the fish and corals, and then have to replace them later. So save time, worry, and money....by being patient and waiting another month or two before adding more "large" livestock.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this. Cycling takes at least 1 month, preferably longer. The algae is definitely part of the cycling process.

It might not be too big of an issue right now. But do not go addind more fish or any corals for at least another month or two.

Because at this point, you are still cycling, with the Clown being used in place of a damsel, which is what a lot of people would do before to get the cycling started as damsels are hardy and (at times) appear to be nearly impossible to kill.

But definitely wait to add more fish, corals, and any "large" invertebrates, as the bioload increase really needs the tank to be cycled in order to not cause a crash. If you were to get impatient and add more fish and corals now, then you would just be causing an increase your overall expenses in the long run as you will most likely lose all the fish and corals, and then have to replace them later. So save time, worry, and money....by being patient and waiting another month or two before adding more "large" livestock.
Uhh thanks but I actually done have this tank anymore lol

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you getting a really big tank? Lol

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back