My new Tunze 9012 is noisy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been running my new 9012 skimmer for ten days. As it’s still under break-in period and I mainly do the immersion depth adjustment. At the beginning days there were too much micro bubbles, but they almost disappeared now. After days’ try and adjustment it skims well now.

Only one issue is that it’s very noisy, I can hear its running sound even in my 2nd floor bedroom (my tank is in 1st floor). Does anyone know if the noise will disappear after more time’s break in? Thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have at least a quarter of the intake grate on the cup under water? This skimmer should definitely not be noisy. If it is not submerged so at least a quarter of the intake that is under the cup is submerged it is essentially running dry and that is one thing that can make it very noisy.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have at least a quarter of the intake grate on the cup under water? This skimmer should definitely not be noisy. If it is not submerged so at least a quarter of the intake that is under the cup is submerged it is essentially running dry and that is one thing that can make it very noisy.
I submerged a little more than 1/2 of intake grate, under where it skims great.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never do more than half the grate submerged but that shouldn't cause noise. Do you possibly have some water in the silencer? Is the noise a grinding/ motor noise or a slurping water noise?

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never do more than half the grate submerged but that shouldn't cause noise. Do you possibly have some water in the silencer? Is the noise a grinding/ motor noise or a slurping water noise?
- it’s the noise from motor.
- I will check if thre’s Water in silencer.
Thanks!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would open the skimmer and check that nothing got into the motor, if it is motor noise the only moving part is the impeller, so it could be an out of balance impeller but more likely something is snared in the needlewheel and on mine I have even had small snails get lodged in the pump.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's no water in silencer.
i will send you a vedio clip. can you help advise what i can do?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is too deep, that is indicated by the bubbles exiting the front, I would open the skimmer and remove the pump and remove the impeller, I think something is in the pump.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is too deep, that is indicated by the bubbles exiting the front, I would open the skimmer and remove the pump and remove the impeller, I think something is in the pump.
Thank you and I will open check it. I remembered you put a link somewhere about how to disassemble it step by step, can you send the link to me?

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run that too. Looks like way too much air going in. There shouldn’t be any bubbles coming out of the front either. Dial the air all the way off, it should start making a gurgling sound as it draws too much water in the intake, then crack the air valve just past the point where the gurgle stops. It should be visibly skimming water silently in the intake. It will start to gurgle again when the intake gets dirty or obstructed. Once you get a feel for it these are unbelievably good skimmers. The best small ones I have ever used. I own 5 com line skimmers as well, this 3rd generation is the best yet but a mother and a half to dissemble for cleaning.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh, I too could use a lil cleaning tutorial as well, I’m sure I’m not properly dismantling it.

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi@ Roger,
Talking of Tunze, I have the Tunze 9006 in my 10g sump which I've had for getting on 4yrs without any issues, but what I am interested in Roger, is your opinion on replacing the 9006 for the 9410 for 60 g cube many Thanks.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you basically do have to break these things apart. I was doing it right, just very unnerving yanking on a 300 dollar piece of plastic like that!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I can say about the plastic we use, at least the bodies (the cups are polycarbonate and they can break) is that plastic is almost indestructible, I agree it is a bit nerve racking at first but I rarely see any of them break unless pried on. The trick is to start at one corner and then it will practically unzip.

So you basically do have to break these things apart. I was doing it right, just very unnerving yanking on a 300 dollar piece of plastic like that!

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be overkill, if this tank was heavy on SPS, the 9410 would be a great skimmer, but I would be more comfortable if the tank was 90-120 gallons. When you oversize a skimmer sometimes you get less than you would expect because their is not enough waste to get a consistent foam head. The 9004 would be a slight improvement and much smaller in size.

Hi@ Roger,
Talking of Tunze, I have the Tunze 9006 in my 10g sump which I've had for getting on 4yrs without any issues, but what I am interested in Roger, is your opinion on replacing the 9006 for the 9410 for 60 g cube many Thanks.

Simon Cushing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your input, pity really, what I have is a 60g cube with a 10g sump mainly consisting of soft and LPS corals. Though the 9006 is still running I really like the Tunze product. It's a fair old few quid £ to spend but worth every quid. I could get in touch with Tunze here in the U.K. Otherwise look around for another alternative.
It could be overkill, if this tank was heavy on SPS, the 9410 would be a great skimmer, but I would be more comfortable if the tank was 90-120 gallons. When you oversize a skimmer sometimes you get less than you would expect because their is not enough waste to get a consistent foam head. The 9004 would be a slight improvement and much smaller in size.
T

Back