My New Yellow Tang is being so shy! Is it normal?

genny1687

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, everyone i am a newbie here with a YT question...we just got him about 2 days ago from the aquarium store and since we dropped him, he has been overly shy. As soon as he sees anyone in the room he hides. I haven't seen him eat and spends most time behind the rocks if anyone is around (i know this because i have a camera and i see when theres no one around he does comes to the front) is it normal? Will he outgrow it? How long until he gets comfortable? Any food recommendations or anything that will make him get out of that shy behaviour?

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "dropped him" do you mean "dropped him in the tank" as in added him, or "dropped him on the floor"?
Try offering a nori clip and watching via the camera to see if he munches there? He should become bolder as he settles in, but he may need some space before he's comfortable.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to be the same way and ive had this one for almost a year. He’s still shy he’ll hide if you walk up to the tank but he’ll come out if you sit and watch.

OP
OP
G

genny1687

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That happens a lot with new fish. Just give it some time.

It might be because yellow tangs are schooling fish in the wild and don't feel safe alone.
Ok, i guess i am just being impatient. I have a pair of clowns that owned the tank the minute i put them there. Ill see how they do in a few more days

OP
OP
G

genny1687

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "dropped him" do you mean "dropped him in the tank" as in added him, or "dropped him on the floor"?
Try offering a nori clip and watching via the camera to see if he munches there? He should become bolder as he settles in, but he may need some space before he's comfortable.
I meant to say when i put him in the tank. No he has not been dropped on the floor. Ill try the nori clip and see how it goes and be patient. Thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Very normal. It will and should come out temporarily when food is offered
Mine averages 2-3 days. I have 6

0102F5E9-D623-4ED0-906F-6018C35AD5A4.jpeg

Last edited:

Delouise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having similar issues with a Kole at the moment. He's in QT with a PVC elbow and will not come out, I have not seen him eat in 5 days. I have put nori in front of the PVC and tried meaty foods and pellets. Any other tips? How long can he go without eating? I'm getting worried.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines is real comfortable now. I walk up now and he swims in circles in front of me along with all the other fish aswell

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having similar issues with a Kole at the moment. He's in QT with a PVC elbow and will not come out, I have not seen him eat in 5 days. I have put nori in front of the PVC and tried meaty foods and pellets. Any other tips? How long can he go without eating? I'm getting worried.

Koles are very shy.... more so than Yellows. Hes probably not a fan of a bare tank with a PVC elbow.

Did you try some spirulina brine? Or even live brine? Just something to get him started.

Delouise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koles are very shy.... more so than Yellows. Hes probably not a fan of a bare tank with a PVC elbow.

Did you try some spirulina brine? Or even live brine? Just something to get him started.
No, I will grab some today and try! Thanks

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Yellow Tang is still a little shy/nervous after 9+ months in the tank. If anyone gets too close to the tank, the Yellow and the Tomini, will quickly disappear into their respective caves.

If you stand still near the tank they will eventually come back out. Especially if you're feeding them. :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back