OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got the plumbing done this morning. No leaks so it’ll do.

8B8664AD-CF2B-4394-B233-2017A08097BA.jpeg

Anytime I do plumbing I never am concerned with the gallons/hour etc. As long and my return keeps up with my drain I’m fine. I always run the return to a manifold. In this instance I have 2 going to the tank and the other to the UV. TheUV drains into the return section also acting like a power head helping keep that section of the sump clear.

Chose flex tubing simply because it was easy to work with and quick to do. Plus much easier to modify down the road if necessary. No hose clamps. I use the 3/4” Lasco Fittings from Lowe’s and have never needed to use clamps with them. Drains all PVC.

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a 40g water change. I moved water from my reef over to the new setup. Figure it'll help some with the cycling of the system. Instead I just did a water change on the reef. Barely ever do, but guess I'll take advantage of needing to do so on the FOWLR.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure by this weekend I should be able to add a few fish. If I can find some that have been conditioned I’ll add them, but going to setup a temporary QT with water from the established tanks. Since it’s gonna be temporary will do TTM for any QT over the course of 2 weeks. Know it may not be extremely long but the idea is running both hypo and therapeutic level of copper. Will do fresh water dips in between transfers. Should be fine.

Can almost see through clearly.

32C7416B-75A1-43DB-9D7B-A1AEFAA334A0.jpeg

I have an ammonia tester but no reagent. Figure once the initial bloom passes and me adding different sources of bacteria to assist the process, I won’t have to worry about ammonia too much.

I also added a ok sized piece of rock from my display sump into the system. Know that’ll help for sure.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well placed the first fish order. I considered making this a dominant Angel tank, but Angels get too big, so decided on making this a dominant Butterfly tank.

Starting out with the following:

Red Sea Golden Butterflyfish
Pearlscale Butterfly
Australian Marginalis Butterfly
Collare (Pakistani) Butterflyfish

All are 3-4" in size.

List I am shooting for (starting out). All of these below are considered peaceful so hope it all works out:

Scribbled Angel
Goldflake Angel
Pearlscale Butterfly
Spotband Butterfly
Red Sea Bannerfish (3)

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well placed the first fish order. I considered making this a dominant Angel tank, but Angels get too big, so decided on making this a dominant Butterfly tank.

Starting out with the following:

Pearlscale Butterfly

All are 3-4" in size.

List I am shooting for (starting out). All of these below are considered peaceful so hope it all works out:

Scribbled Angel
Goldflake Angel
Pearlscale Butterfly
Spotband Butterfly
Red Sea Bannerfish (3)

I love butterflies my fish only will be BF dominate. let me know who they do for you. are you still gonna do TTM on them?

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love butterflies my fish only will be BF dominate. let me know who they do for you. are you still gonna do TTM on them?

No deciding to just put them straight into the system. If I need to treat the tank I will. I know the risk involved but going to go straight to display.

Yes I’ve had velvet prior so I know what it can do. I know all fish carry disease but I would be more concerned if they were Tangs going into the system.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some fish coming in about an hour from now. Have my observation setup. If they eat well and look fine after a few days observation they are going into the system.

image.jpg

Whenever I do some type of QT/monitoring and not going directly into DT, like using containers that black out so new fish do not get as stressed once taken out of bags.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention, water for observation was also taken from my SPS tank. I'll also add a filter sock likely tomorrow that I'll take from one of my systems that need to have them changed.

Have Amquel on hand just in case, but I do not have an ammonia test kit to test :oops:. Not overly concerned with having ammonia spikes though. I'll change the water as many times as needed, but do not expect needing to unless fish come in diseased.

Right now have no medications or copper in the water. All butterfly fish this time so before doing any type of treatments, I first want to know what I am dealing with as it relates to this batch of fish.

The first batch I was able to observe and I have trust in the supplier of those fish. Not that I do not trust the supplier for the Butterfly fish, just that they are likely going to be super stressed initially so want them to have time to calm and start eating.

If they eat well and look healthy after a few days without any noticeable spots, etc. they are going to join the others in the FOWLR. Also if needed, I'll just treat the tank if I have to deal with anything unexpected, i.e. Velvet. The idea is I'll know if they have either velvet or any other disease that'll wipe out the tank in a couple days.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, the fish staying in that container didn't last long. Everyone is now in the DT. One of the butterflies had a twitch I didn't like so I gave it a quick freshwater dip and put them all in PraziPro/NeoPlex for a few hours. Wasn't going to keep them in that too long and not really knowing how they are going to eat.

Figure best option is having them in the DT where the Harlequin Tusk and Anthias are eating well. Will ideally help teach them what to do.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have aiptasia in my display and am considering grabbing the Marginalis and temporary placing in reef. Moved over some zoa disc from the DT that had some aiptasia and it's not gonna last the day o_O . He has been eyeing rock all day long. He pick at brine shrimp I put on the rocks with only return flow going. Everyone else eats brine shrimp free floating.

Pearlscale picks but not aggressive as I'd like. Have some Masstick on the way to put on rocks.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all of the butterflies are now eating brine shrimp. The Pearlscale is still more sensitive than the others but is coming around.

Guess them seeing other fish eating and adding in some live rock from the SPS sump helped too. I noticed all the butterflies peck that rock and the other one from the SPS tank and just look at the other rock. Only peck it if food falls on it.

Also putting in those zoanthid frag plugs with Aiptasia made them seem more comfortable faster.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next week will add in a Heniochus Butterfly and a Yellow Pyramid Butterfly. At that point I think I'll be pretty much complete with the butterflies. Only other one I'm considering is a Declivis Butterflyfish.

Then I'll look for a Regal Angel.

OP
OP
mitch91175

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the White Face and Yellow Head in.

Shout out to Lee Larson @ School of Fish in Desoto. He has some premium livestock. I wish I could buy all his fish, lol.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back