My Not So Mysterious Pistol Shrimp

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd throw this post up for fun and for anyone who is struggling with the same problem!

So if you have a pistol shrimp that you never see and he doesn't already have a buddy... get him one! (If it's a responsible move for your tank of course :)) I recently added an orange banded goby and he, even more recently, paired with my tiger pistol shrimp. Well, I have seen my pistol more in the past week than I have in the past year! He is always out and about just excavating away. He's even started digging large trenches, which is cool because this brings him several inches out and away from his burrow. One thing I love about this is that whenever they are out the pistol keeps one antenna in contact with the goby at all times! Anyway, just thought this was fun and it's exciting when stuff like this works out.

Happy reefing everyone!

20170929_184112.jpg

20170929_184336.jpg

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it!
I'm getting a pistol shrimp to pair up with my diamond goby soon:)

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it!
Good luck! Mine took a few weeks, but one day it just happened. Ha ha, my mom was visiting when I noticed too, I almost felt bad for paying no attention to her for a few hours while I watched him dig. :D

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it!
FYI Diamond Goby (diamond goby sand sifter) don't pair up with pistol shrimp, only certain type of gobys will pair up with pistol shrimp.
Note:
If your LFS have more than 1 species of pistol shrimp for sale than make sure to buy the tiger pistol shrimp, some species of pistol shrimp don't pair up with anything.
I got 1 pistol shrimp in the past (red/orange color one) Alpheus Armatus and this one won't pair with any gobies that available for sale in my LFS like randall, yellow watchman goby.
**I just found out that this Alpheus Armatus love to dig a cave near anemone, this one made all anemone that have foot burrow under the sand stress out and move around and the shrimp just keep follow the anemone new location and start digging again...

OP
OP
Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it jump by any chance. I had 2 yashas and they both managed to find a tiny hole in the lid!
I don't think it jumped, mainly due to my screen top. It's possible that he could've fit through the holes but I never found a body either. I am actually almost 100% positive it was my sixline wrasse :oops: I got that fish when I was new to reefing and obviously didn't do enough research.

nashvillian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a hi fin and a yasha pair with the same tiger, and both have gone unexpectedly missing after 3-4 months. My yellow watchman jumped, fingers crossed for this orange spotted.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back