My NPS Finger gorgs are alive after a month and a half of no food or flow!,

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick Backstory: I had an old 5 gallon TopFin Desktop tank on my desk that was an NPS / Macro Algae Tank (you mightve seen my old thread) but long story short, after 4 months the tank broke (Bottom Seal cracked, leaked, and the side pannel gave up) so I had to throw everything into a 5 Gallon Lowes Bucket. (Electric Flame Scallop, Sargassum, Dragon's Breath, White Sea Fan, and of course, the Red and Yellow Finger Gorgs). Unfortunately, everything ended up dying sooner or later
(Scallop died due to rapid fluctuation of parameters, it did very well for the first 3 months which was a surprise since it was my 1st one). Macros died due to not enough nutrients, and then the sea ran was starting to rot. After the Scallop died, I didnt dose any food. Flow was impossible since there was no spot for a WaveMaker or airline.

I ended up throwing everything out, but decided to hang onto Gorgs since I didn't see any rotting or Decay. I threw them into my frag tank, just the coral, not glued to anything. Straight to the point, its 2 weeks later, I turned on the lights today, and was met with a surprise to see they're both alive! The yellow was always more reclusive so if this is all I see for now, that's fine with me. I always heard Red & Yellow finger gorgs were good beginner NPS Corals, but I never knew they were this hardy! How did they survive? I don't know. Possibly from the little organisms in the sand, but other than that I have no idea. Once they get fed, I might put them in my new display. But this has to be the craziest thing I've witnessed

20210421_174058.jpg 20210421_174908.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back