My nth aquarium endeavor - IM 40 Fusion Pro - FOWLR (maybe softies)

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My name is Jason and I'm finding this site super helpful and fun. I just set up my new FOWLR on 5/12/2023 (that may get softies at some point). This is my 7th, 8th, not sure how many ventures into an aquarium since back in 1988 when in high school I couldn't cram enough tanks into my bedroom and dad would get mad about the electricity use :) I've done, fresh, planted, FOWLR, reef, cichlid, and now I'm again starting new with a FOWLR and hope to do some softies (or more) at some point.

I went with an Innovative Marine Fusion Pro 40 AIO with APS Stand. My gear is listed below. Bought almost everything from IM and BRS. I'm using the hardy fish cycling approach and plan to do frequent water changes and watch ammonia every 2 days so as to minimize pain to the fish. Reef2Reef and BRS TV has been a tremendous help...things I wish I had in the past! One thing I'm still unclear on is why the FOWLR setups migrated away from under-gravel filters with powerheads...seemed like a huge biological bonanza to use the entire bed for good chemistry.

Anyway...thanks for all the help folks here have provided so far. I'm looking forward to this journey with having so many good people and so much available and helpful information on places like Reef2Reef, BRS, etc.

Regards,
Jason

Innovative Marine Fusion Pro 2 40 AIO with White APS Stand - https://bit.ly/3NvEBOt
AI Prime 16 HD LED Reef Light with Tank Mount
AI Nero 3 Powerhead
Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
IM Helio PTC Titanium Dual Element Heater
Innovative Marine NuvoSkim AIO Protein Skimmer - Midsize
40 lbs. Reef Saver Aquarium Dry Live Rock - MarcoRocks - https://bit.ly/411bPZg
(2) 20 lb. Bimini Pink Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand - CaribSea - https://bit.ly/41WBfbE
5 Stage Premium Plus 150 GPD Water Saver RO/DI hard piped into water supply and drain
~40 Gallon Brute trash barrel with lid - water storage
10 Gallon Brute trash barrel with lid - salt mixing
RODI shut-off float valve on 40 Gallon Brute
Tunze Care Magnet Strong+
Rio RV2735 Rid-Volt Titanium Grounding Probe
Aquaforest Reef Salt Mix Bucket - https://bit.ly/3VvOQ7G
American Marine Pinpoint pH monitor and probe
Milwaukee Refractometer
Various thermometers, hydrometer, Syncra Nano Pump (for mixing salt water), magfeeder
Simple Deluxe 10ft High Lift 800GPH 24W Submersible Pump (3000L/H) for water changes
GROWNEER 550GPH Submersible Pump 30W Ultra Quiet Fountain Water Pump, 2000L/H, with 7.2ft High Lift for water changes
DAVCO 5/8" ID × 50 ft Heavy Duty Braided Clear Plastic Vinyl Tubing, Flexible High Pressure Reinforced PVC Vinyl Tube Hose
(2) 5 Gallon Plastic Hedpack with cap for ATO
RedSea Marine Care Test Kit
Hanna Colorimeters: Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Alkalinity, Calcium
Smart Stir - Magnetic Stirrer for Test Kits - AutoAqua
Under cabinet LED lighting = Lvyinyin Curio Cabinet Lights Kit, Over Under Counter LED Puck Lights, Low Profile 0.3", 120V Wall Plug in, RF Wireless Remote Control Dimmable, Linkable, White Cables, Daylight 6000K, 6 Lights
Innovative Marine Gourmet Gadget Defroster PRO - Adjustable Frozen Fish Food Feeder and Feeding Ring
Floor protection Mat
KETOTEK Digital Thermometer Temperature Gauge USB Power Supply with Sensor Probe for Aquarium
500mL Graduated Cylinder - Premium Polypropylene, Hexagonal Base - Class B, 5mL Graduation
Pro-Clean Squeeze Medium - Python
MagFeeder Magnetic Feeding Ring - Two Little Fishies
Malida Water purifier quick Push to Connect, RO water filter fittings 1/4 inch tubing quick connect ,Ball Valve, Check Valve,Tee Set Of 12 (Connector set of 12)
Habitech 2-Pack In-Line Barbed Ball Valve 16mm For 1/2 and 5/8 Inch Tubing (.570 to .620 ID) - Regulate and Shut-Off/On Water Flow

IMG_4379.JPEG
IMG_4380.JPEG

IMG_4381.JPEG
IMG_4382.JPEG
IMG_4383.JPEG

Last edited:
OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I bought some cheap LED lights on Amazon and ran them around the inside. Worked out great! It's so much nicer to be able to see in there when working on stuff.

dmsc2fs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slide your ATO jug over to one side. You won’t need to try and fiddle with putting items around it on either side.

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that tank! Bought one a few months back, downsizing from a RedSea 300xl. Still have not started to build mine yet, but can’t wait to watch yours comes along.

Attachments

• 2FA6A69C-A267-4BBC-B565-AA13473ACAFF.JPG
    2FA6A69C-A267-4BBC-B565-AA13473ACAFF.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 48
OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that tank! Bought one a few months back, downsizing from a RedSea 300xl. Still have not started to build mine yet, but can’t wait to watch yours comes along.
That's a beautiful piece of furniture you have that tank on. Looks awesome!

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @rsaylor3 ! The tank is ~10 weeks old now and going well I think. Here's the latest pic. I haven't lost any fish, but a couple hermit crabs died...I'm not sure if this is normal as the other crabs/snails/fish see hungry and OK. I added protein skimmer
IMG_4551.jpeg

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great and glad to hear it’s coming along! I think it’s pretty to common to lose some of the hermits and snails from time to time, so I wouldn’t be overly concerned if everything else is doing fine.

Which protein skimmer did you go with?

I’m still just staring at my empty tank:) can’t wait to move my stuff out of the little 10 gallon to the 40 hopefully sooner than later!

Keep us updated on your tank and good luck!!

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great and glad to hear it’s coming along! I think it’s pretty to common to lose some of the hermits and snails from time to time, so I wouldn’t be overly concerned if everything else is doing fine.

Which protein skimmer did you go with?

I’m still just staring at my empty tank:) can’t wait to move my stuff out of the little 10 gallon to the 40 hopefully sooner than later!

Keep us updated on your tank and good luck!!
Thank you @rsaylor3 . I went with the IM skimmer. Without any previous skimmer experience...I'm not sure how well it works, but it does collect nice brown, stinky water :) I'd love to see your setup once you get it going. Are there components you need before you can start? What is holding you back (maybe free time?)?

rsaylor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free time for sure!

I’m planning on using the IM skimmer as well and the UV they offer. I’m not the biggest fan of socks so I found these the other day, that replace the sock with a cup to use filter floss in.

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome to the IM 40G club! I’ve enjoyed mine so far. I built a stand as mine came used with a poorly built stand. Wish it had the premade one.

I am using the IOAOI skimmer which is a cadlights knockoff. So far it’s really nice. I am waiting for plexi to come in to finish the front door and I have an auto rollermat coming as well that will fit in the overflow chamber so I don’t need socks anymore.
IMG_3634.jpeg

OP
OP
JasonG1

JasonG1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the IM 40G club! I’ve enjoyed mine so far. I built a stand as mine came used with a poorly built stand. Wish it had the premade one.

I am using the IOAOI skimmer which is a cadlights knockoff. So far it’s really nice. I am waiting for plexi to come in to finish the front door and I have an auto rollermat coming as well that will fit in the overflow chamber so I don’t need socks anymore.
IMG_3634.jpeg
Looks beautiful! If I may ask...how (and what) are you dosing?

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looks beautiful! If I may ask...how (and what) are you dosing?
You don’t see the stupid hair algae I’m dealing with haha. This tank was purchased up and running and it had been severely neglected. It’s a lot better than it was a couple months ago for sure.

Right now I just dose 5ml two part every day. I do have NP Bacto. Zeobak, and Zeofood coming this week to try carbon dosing. My hope is it will clear up the algae as the blenny and snails have helped some but it lingers. I also just added 4 T5’s to lessen the shadowing of the Radion.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back