Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smallish update.

Tank is looking good again. My concerns before seem to be directly related to my nitrates zeroing out. I'm back around 3-5ppm and everything is open, growing and happy. Still a ton of diatoms on my sandbed, but that's really the only obvious algae place.

The RBTA is getting huge and really touchy during the day. It stung my hammer a few times, which led me to move the euphyllia another 2 inches left/back. I also moved my torch because it didn't seem happy where I had it before. In its new spot it's thriving and I'm seeing great polyp extension.

One small concern. I'm seeing a lot of random sponges around the tank. The biggest concern is around my bam bam zoas. It seems like it could be suffocating them a bit, or at least preventing them from growing out. Research on dealing with these is misleading, though most seem to say to just leave them be (scaping will cause them to just attach elsewhere.) The one 'possible' solution is to remove the frag and scrape though in open air. I don't really like that solution though because the plug is finally starting to stretch out and attach to the rock scape (and removing it would ruin that.) For now I'm gonna let it ride and cross fingers the sponges pull back some.

20210831_134818.jpg

Attachments

• 20210830_152111.jpg
    20210830_152111.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few additional thoughts.

A) I'm coral crazy and want to buy buy buy. But, I'm doing my best to slow down and see how everything does for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE (we'll see.) I've already invested a fair amount of cash in just coral (roughly $1000 at this point I think), and I reallllly should let things simmer for a bit. It's really difficult to not look at all the live sales going on seemingly EVERY DAY.

B) pH and nitrates, and phosphates. Yeesh these are hard to properly maintain. Since reduces my skimmer time, my pH has taken a serious hit. Instead of regularly reaching 8.25 pH daily, I'm lucky now if I hit 8.1. I feel like I'm feeding like crazy (pellets in the morning, half a frozen cube afternoon, flakes in evening AND reef chili every other day) and it seems like the skimmer running for 10hrs a day still takes out the majority of what I put in. I worry if I feed much more I'll run the risk of overfeeding my fish and experience whatever happens in that no bueno scenario.

C) I like the have an idea of what to buy next, so I'm taking suggestions! How it fits with my current setup is important, and COLOR is critical as well. Right now I'm eyeing one additional goniopora, and likely another torch. Otherwise I'm open for ideas.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been plucking a similar spongy growth off the plug of one of my birds nests. It was smothering and killing all the polyps at the base(due to lack of light). Eventually I plan to move that guy. When I do, I'll just cut it off it's plug and problem should be solved. Those zoas look happy and unaffected at the moment. I'd still probably pull off as much as you can with some tweezers.

B) I do believe this is the most difficult part to manage in a new tank. I am still constantly experimenting. I would try to keep a log of your feedings and test test test. I had a rhythm going for a few weeks over here, but just recently tested at .12 PO4, so I'll be adjusting my feedings yet again!

As for topics A and C, I believe you mostly solved this last night. :p:p:p

OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been plucking a similar spongy growth off the plug of one of my birds nests. It was smothering and killing all the polyps at the base(due to lack of light). Eventually I plan to move that guy. When I do, I'll just cut it off it's plug and problem should be solved. Those zoas look happy and unaffected at the moment. I'd still probably pull off as much as you can with some tweezers.

B) I do believe this is the most difficult part to manage in a new tank. I am still constantly experimenting. I would try to keep a log of your feedings and test test test. I had a rhythm going for a few weeks over here, but just recently tested at .12 PO4, so I'll be adjusting my feedings yet again!

As for topics A and C, I believe you mostly solved this last night. :p:p:p

I'm assuming you're plucking the sponges while they're in the tank? I really want to do that, but read it will just cause the sponges to spread even more throughout the scape. At the moment I've got sponges growing on at least 4 of my corals, some pineapple and some the little stick stuff. Let me know if after plucking you notice them elsewhere. If after a few weeks you don't, I'm definitely gonna!

I've got a spreadsheet of all my feedings, water changes, maintenance tasks, and test params. It's very helpful to review and remember when I need to do things (like replace filter floss.)

And lol, as to A and C, yup, I bought another 12 coral. It's irresistible! My wife was like, "you don't have enough space for those!" Oh don't you worry, I'll make it work!

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been plucking at that for at least a month now(in the tank) and nothing has spread that I can see. It does keep growing back, though. I'm okay with sponges in my tank, I just prefer they stick to crevices and not in the shade of my SPS.

Mine looks similar if not identical to yours.

PXL_20210905_163646377.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been plucking at that for at least a month now(in the tank) and nothing has spread that I can see. It does keep growing back, though. I'm okay with sponges in my tank, I just prefer they stick to crevices and not in the shade of my SPS.

Mine looks similar if not identical to yours.

PXL_20210905_163646377.MP.jpg
Good info, thank you! Maybe if I pluck, the zoas at least will be able to grow over...maybe.

OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my first costly 'muck up' has occurred. I've been noticing my Cherry Tree Montipora with LOTS of sponges/algae/whatisthat under its cap. It was also bleaching a little bit in the section that got the most direct light. So I had the brilliant idea to A) clean it and B) move it. Enter second brilliant idea, take it out of the tank and scrub under the cap with a toothbrush. This probably would have been OK had I of used saltwater...but I used RODI water. Everything scrubbed away super well and the monti 'seemed' fine going back in the tank. But the next day it looked horrid, just super white and not a polyp in sight. Ugh. That was 4 days ago. 2 days ago I decided to dip it in Coral Revive (following their directions.) Today...it looks no better, possibly worse with more whitening. At this point I'm pretty sure it's my first dead SPS. I'm going to give it another few days before removing. Crossing fingers but at this point I've only got myself to blame. Next time I'll use tank water OR just scrub in the tank.

In other news, I'm pretty sure I've got cyano on my sand bed, and a little on my rocks. Not gonna do anything to combat it at the moment. My CUC seems to be keeping it at bay and it's not 'spreading' much. I'm gonna reduce my reef chili feeding a little now that my nitrates are back at 5ppm.

20210905_124356.jpg

OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today marks two months since tank start. I figured I'd share a short video.

Also, here's all the coral I've got coming Thursday!

golden.png
Golden Cyphastrea
nuclear.png
ASD Nuclear Green Cyphastrea
watermelon.png
Watermelon Zoas
milky.png
Milky way Palys
hornets.png
Hornets Nest Zoas
flashlight.png
Ultra Flash light Torch
ultraalveopora.png
Ultra Alveopora
gorgeous.png
Gorgeous Ring Goni
jungle.png
Jungle Fever Favia
rainbow.png
Rainbow Eye Favia
lobo.png
Ultra Aussie Lobo
jp.png
Japanese Painting Chalice
digi.png
ORA Nuclear Digi

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the comments @Robinski and @FjordReef !

Added FIFTEEN (@AquaSD sent TWO freebies, thank you!) new corals to the tank today! My sand bed was so so full. In the process of adding (and after dipping in CoralRX), I accidentally bumped my purple torch off the rock, but caught it before it nose dived to the sand. I also touched my solar flare zoa such that it's shriveled on one side now. Ugh. I regret not using my frag rack but it's a bit bulkier than I'd like, so possibly it wouldn't have gone any better. Talk about STRESSFUL.

Coral dip produced 1x micro brittle star (which I immediately took out and placed in the tank, you're a good guy!) and 1x snail (unsure what kind, but it was shell-less, and I tossed it.) Also noticed some bubble algae on one of the zoa frags, but it was easy to pop off.

I don't really understand the Lobophyllia's massive frag plug. Is that necessary to keep? Googling is not producing much help on which direction to go.

Here's a shot a few hours post added, with a few frags mounted.

20210909_173206.jpg

OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few photos from all sides of the tank.

I successfully moved a slew of corals off of the sand bed. There's a Goniopora and Alveopora garden on the right now! Zoa garden is really taking shape too. Leaving two zoas on the sand to grow a bit more before mounting.

I took the opportunity to remove a bunch of frag plugs. I've finally gotten some confidence handling corals and really wasn't digging the plug look. My hands were in the tank a tad too long though and after the 5th plug removal, my black/white clown had enough and BIT ME! It was a shock, first time that's happened and while it didn't hurt, he did it twice more before I was done. Noted little dude, Ill try not to overstay my welcome next time!

Attachments

• 20210911_110533.jpg
    20210911_110533.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20210911_110544.jpg
    20210911_110544.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210911_110557.jpg
    20210911_110557.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 56

jkbonsai

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I recently joined R2R and if you’re interested in a bit more about me. my intro can be found here.

The goal is to be 100% aquacultured and captive bred. So far...things are looking pretty good here.

My Equipment:
Tank: Waterbox Marine X 35.1 Cube (22g DT, 11g sump)
Rock: 40lb Caribsea Liferock (Marine X 35.1 bundle from Waterbox)
Sand: Caribsea Special Grade
Powerhead: AI Nero 3
Heater: 100W BRS Titanium Heater w/ Inkbird temp checker
Lights: AI Prime 16HD with Flex Arm and 3D printed diffuser
ATO: XP Aqua Duetto
Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0
Lid: Kraken Reef Lid
Skimmer: Nyos 120
Salt: Tropic Marin Pro
RODI: 6 Stage BRS System

The tank is going to live behind my office desk. My biggest concern with the location setup is noise, and I’ve attempted to purchase equipment that is as silent as possible. I’ve got a PC gaming rig under my desk with plenty of fans, so I’m betting the tank/sump just blends into the existing ambient noise. My other concern is ambient light from the office window, but I’ve got automated blinds that tilt with the sun, as well as a sheer curtain for light diffusion. I'm planning for there to be no direct sunlight on the tank.

For cycling, my plan is to run Fritz Turbo 9000. I originally intended on using Brightwell’s Microbacter7, but after reading a few posts on R2R, Fritz seems the most recommended and fastest solution. I’ve been itching to get this going! I plan to throw in some Fritz Ammonium Chloride (used this to great effect on my Freshwater aquarium) periodically, while also testing daily. I may ghost feed, but we’ll see how things progress.

Aquascaping:
I’m going to do a ‘whatever works with what I’m given’ approach. Like I mentioned, I purchased the WB 35.1 Caribsea Liferock ‘bundle’, and I’m trusting what they send me will fit well with the tank size. I'll post a picture as soon as I can lay out the scape.

Aquascaping Update 9/12/21:
Top lop left has been in constant replacement turmoil. I was not happy with my first rock choice and have ultimately ended up with the smallest piece I could find.

Livestock:
2 Clowns, a orange ocellaris (Juniper) and black ocellaris (Ash), Orchid Dottyback, and Exquisite Firefish

CUC:
5x nassarius snails
5x astrea snails
5x bumblebee snails
5x hermit red/blue crabs

Current Tank as of 7/28/21

20210728_103629.jpg

Current Tank as of 8/1/21

20210731_170225.jpg

Current as of 9/11/21
20210911_110531.jpg
Very nice progression! Super build and all corals look HAPPY!

OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured 1245mg and 375ca about two weeks ago. I decided despite having all the 2-part supplies already that I didn't want to deal with the salinity increase that accompanies two part (and also needing to add a second doser.) Enter Tropic Marin All for Reef. I started dosing A4F on the 8th and am still struggling a bit to dial in the appropriate amount. Today I'm measuring 1260mg, 385ca, and 7.6alk. In consideration of these values, I've upped my dosage by nearly double. Will test everything again in a few days. I want to be around 8.5alk, which should net me higher ca/mg.

Things are growing really well. That includes Cyano though (started around the 4th.) Cyano is taking over my lower left quadrant of the tank. This is also the lowest flow area, so I tried swapping around a few sand rocks in hopes of more movement. No difference in cyano that I can tell. A little beside myself with what to do, so I'm just gonna stay the course for a bit. I'm running the skimmer 24/7 now, with nitrates at 10ppm and phosphates at 0. Can't get these phosphates up no matter how much dry food I feed. Grrr. On the bright side pH is 8.1-8.3 all the time now with the skimmer cruising.

20210918_175007.jpg 20210919_113829.jpg

Last edited:

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the AFR club! I had a feeling you might eventually convert. =)

Once you dial it in, you'll be super happy with it. How much are you dosing? I had a little mix up when my dosing line went dry for a couple days. I'm trying to get it dialed back in right now.

Cyano should be pretty easy to siphon out, eh? TDO pellets never fail to raise my PO4. But it almost sounds like it's being consumed as quick as you're getting it in there.... /shrug

OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the AFR club! I had a feeling you might eventually convert. =)

Once you dial it in, you'll be super happy with it. How much are you dosing? I had a little mix up when my dosing line went dry for a couple days. I'm trying to get it dialed back in right now.

Cyano should be pretty easy to siphon out, eh? TDO pellets never fail to raise my PO4. But it almost sounds like it's being consumed as quick as you're getting it in there.... /shrug
Hard to beat the AFR convenience! I upped my dosage to 8ml/day today. I was at about 4-5ml. We'll see after my next tests!

Cyano is interesting to siphon out. The little 1" tube doesn't do a good job at sucking it up, it kind of just floats in the tube unless I tip it over and then that breaks the siphon. Annoying to say the least, I need to figure out a better solution. The 2" tube is just too huge to use, I'd be bumping in to everything.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you doing water changes? When I started AFR I was maintaining pretty much perfect levels of CA and MAG just from my WCs(20% each week). I only needed 2ml to maintain ALK and actually stayed at 3ml for probably a month. I've only just recently started increasing by more than 1ml at a time. I'm at 10ml now.

I'm no AFR expert, but I'm pretty sure you're going to find CA and MAG playing catch up to an increasing ALK. Maybe some water changes are in order to get CA and Mag up?

OP
OP
Gedxin

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at 10% 1.5 week water changes. Just lazy more than any reason for that frequency. I will try and up to 20% weekly and see if there's any improvement.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I'm on the heavier end of the spectrum with water changes, so don't feel like you gotta change the routine. Honestly I would seek out advice from someone with more AFR experience. I've always thought of it as more of a maintainer. Get your levels right and then keep them there with AFR.

Back