My Orchid dottyback needs help’

uagirl08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the other fish are exhibiting any symptoms. It looks like he’s missing scales. Please help a newbie out. I don’t have a quarantine tank set up. I just got an extra tank, but I haven’t had a chance to fill it and get it cycling. Any suggestions as to how to get it up and usable quickly or how to treat this fish are welcome.

7CF00032-EF93-4E76-AA2F-B5BEAB4F9B6F.jpeg AC15F42F-DB27-4DAC-9BB1-C0B878D43EC7.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,does not look good,
do a water change, use that water to start qt, best wishes.
is it being picked on?
how do other fish look?
water parameters? these are questions the experts will be looking for.
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 #reefsquad

OP
OP
uagirl08

uagirl08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t noticed it being picked on. It’s tank mates are a dwarf Pygmy angelfish, purple fire fish and a tiny snowflake eel. Everyone else looks healthy. I’ll test parameters and post the results.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t noticed it being picked on. It’s tank mates are a dwarf Pygmy angelfish, purple fire fish and a tiny snowflake eel. Everyone else looks healthy. I’ll test parameters and post the results.

Welcome to Reef2Reef.

That sure looks like a dottyback that got beaten up by another fish. Could the eel have tried to eat it?

It could have a bacterial disease, but they just don't start out of nowhere like that, and some injury is the likely start of those.

The problem is: fish use their skin to help maintain the proper salt level in their blood. With that much damage to their skin, it means they cannot balance those levels properly. I think it is too far gone. However, in case I'm wrong, the treatment would be to move the fish to a treatment tank at a lower specific gravity - 1.019, and then treat with a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic such as Furan-2, Maracyn 2 or Neoplex.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back