MY OWN DIPPING REGIMEN, WITH IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE AND THE TRUTH ABOUT USING BAYER

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Jun 11, 2018.

1. OriginalUserName

OriginalUserName Valuable Member R2R Supporter

Why not? It's fun watching every single pod in your tank roll over and float around all at once. (don't ask me how I know)

2. yellojello

yellojello Active Member

Interceptor and red bugs :)

3. Robthorn

Robthorn Well-Known Member

Bayer does not own the active ingredient. It is available in many other products. I have 3 gallons of a different product at home 2 friends and I are splitting. It is way stronger than Bayer. Bayer even makes a product without the other said to be harmful ingredient. You just have to buy a gallon but I found bang for the buck in another brand.

To find other products I read the label of the recommended product and then searched the internet for that ingredient.
    Sucks I have to say do this at your own risk and I am not liable.

I have also experimented with potassium dipping up to 1600ppm. It kills a lot of things but not everything. It did appear to harm some of the corals. I can't remember all that died and all that did not I kind of scrapped the idea because of bacterial issues in my tank. I will likely revisit it once my tank stops dying and hopefully starts to grow again.

Rispa likes this.
  4. lazylivin

lazylivin Well-Known Member

Robthorn and ._Z_. like this.
  5. Robthorn

samnaz likes this.
  6. lazylivin

lazylivin Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015BSPO9W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CahiBb33AT5PT

I found this. It is 75%, not sure what the other 25% is. It does say the inactive ingredient is inert. A lot better then the bayer retail product that is less then 1% active ingredient.

Rispa likes this.
  7. Amps Reef Life

Amps Reef Life That Fish Guy R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

What a great write up! Thank you for this.

8. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Thank you I really apprieciate it. It's a subject I take extremely seriously, and had been having the same conversation ofter for a couple years now was long over due actually

Bronc likes this.
  9. Robthorn

I have to let you know what I found when I get done swimming with all the yellow tangs. A.k.a next week. ;-) It is a liquid that is many times more potent than bayer. My bad memory tells me over 30 times.

10. chipmunkofdoom2

chipmunkofdoom2 Always Making Something R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Article Contributor

I don't know if I agree. It would be one thing if this stuff was basically harmless but became dangerous if used in a very specific and novel way. Pesticides like Bayer are just dangerous, full stop. Insecticides and pesticides are essentially nerve agents, not all that different from the neurotoxin used to assassinate Kim Jong-nam. Generally speaking, insecticides and pesticides like Bayer work by attacking the central nervous system. This is why things like flatworms, amphipods and bristle worms are affected by Bayer while corals are not. All the former have central nervous systems, while corals do not. This is also why pesticides and insecticides cause birth defects: they affect the central nervous system of the developing fetus.

I never ever touch Bayer without at least protective gloves and glasses, no exceptions. This is really, really dangerous stuff. A little caution on Adam's part is not unwarranted.

Rispa likes this.
  11. Battlecorals

This is kind of where my thought process has landed me as well. Between our own actual health and secondly, the our tanks, we don't really have any longitudinal data about long term effects respectively. And i am pretty much paranoid about anything that can or could get in my water, to an obsessive extent Same "bananas" mentality applies so the idea of using poison has never really been something I've warmed up to. I just saw it as the best option at the time.

samnaz likes this.
  12. Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds Zoa Addict R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Article Contributor

Besides dipping do you use any tools like a magnifier or anything else to help?

Rispa and samnaz like this.
  13. Battlecorals

Yep I have one of those gem stone magnifiers you have to put up real close to your eye, and a microscope if i need a closer look as well. I also use sharp tipped wooden grilling skewers to coax out acro crabs whenever i can. And of course my trusty battlebrushes to whisk away any sort of stray material. I should have noted on the original post as well. I'm extremely anal about removing any thing that isn't actual coral, meaning rock or mounting plugs and such. Even minuet patches of dead skeleton. I'll chip, chisel and saw any trace of anything that is not 100% actual coral.

CraftDaddy, Rispa and samnaz like this.
  14. Bpb

Bpb Valuable Member

Adam, you have talked at length about Bayer and also the polyp lab dip for flat worms. You haven’t mentioned redbugs, Black bugs, or bacterial infections. It is my understanding that bayer is completely ineffective on red bugs. Do you find this to be true? All research I’ve done points to Milbemycin Oxime (interceptor, dr g’s) being the only effective substance against them. Thoughts?

Rispa likes this.
  15. Bpb

Bpb Valuable Member

Adam, you have talked at length about Bayer and also the polyp lab dip for flat worms. You haven’t mentioned redbugs, Black bugs, or bacterial infections. It is my understanding that bayer is completely ineffective on red bugs. Do you find this to be true? All research I’ve done points to Milbemycin Oxime (interceptor, dr g’s) being the only effective substance against them. Thoughts?

16. Battlecorals

Indeed predatory flatworms are my primary concern, I believe that bayer is completely effective on pods actually. In fact red bugs were the reason people first started experimenting with Bayer in the first place if memory serves me well. there was along thread on RC about it back in 08-09 maybe? Was titled "Bayer for redbugs" even. Interceptor is the only known in tank treatment for RB's, But lots of dips annihilate most pods pretty easily. I cant speak for black bugs but these, and all of the "yet to be discovered" pests are ones of the reasons I double dip, and over dip essentially and go with the "scorched earth" policy.

bubbaque and Rispa like this.
  17. Bpb

Bpb Valuable Member

Good to know thanks! I’ve had to interceptor treat the display before. It’s painless and didn’t hurt anything. But it’s so hard to come by

18. tankstudy

tankstudy Valuable Member

Dr. G's is pretty easy to get, just really really pricey.

19. blebs

blebs Member

This is ~100 cc BAYER into 1000 cc H2O or 1:10 for people who do not like mixing units!

how long is your actual dip? 20 minutes?

Rispa likes this.
  20. DBryan

DBryan Member

I have a frag of ice fire from a wild colony, i got bayer to dip it with but have not used it . I thought i would leave it in a qt tank for month or two on its own , to let any thing develop then dip . I would rather not use the bayer, would the reef primer be the best option in the first place?
    Adam i have a frag of ice fire from a wild colony. I have it in qt on its own to see if any thing develops , i was going to se bayer but it seems like reef primer is the better option . What would you suggest for ice fire , would the reef primer be enough on its own? Thanks for any suggestions .

Draft saved Draft deleted