MY OWN DIPPING REGIMEN, WITH IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE AND THE TRUTH ABOUT USING BAYER

Discussion in 'Battlecorals' started by Battlecorals, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Bpb

Bpb Valuable Member

Yeah that is prohibitively expensive for a display. Not terrible for small dips though. One bottle treats a gallon correct? $20 or so.

2. tankstudy

tankstudy Valuable Member

I don't exactly recall how much a bottle treats but it feels like that.

I have 2 bottles on hand all the time but I'm not home atm. =)

3. jwshiver

jwshiver Active Member R2R Supporter

Hey Adam. I remember this conversation well. I have thought about writing on this subject since our discussion. Thank you for writing this article. The law on this subject is very simple in the eyes of the EPA and State regulatory agencies; THE LABEL IS THE LAW. Period, end of discussion! If someone is using a pesticide in a manner that is not consistent with the label it is a violation of the law. I started my pest control business in 1997 and have been in the industry for 27 years. As I discussed with you, The Label is The Law, is one of the first things pounded into new employees brains when they start. This is done for the safety of the public, for the safety of the applicator, is required instruction to employee and liability protection for the business. Pesticides use is not to be taken lightly but if the label is followed they can be used safely and effectively.

I'm sure the Coral Dipping Police will not be knocking down anyone's door but, it will become an issue if a worse case scenario were to happen. From a liability stand point I don't see a defense against violating the label. You may have heard of the horribly sad story of a family poisoned on vacation https://www.cbsnews.com/news/87m-se...ened-by-toxic-pesticide-terminix-on-vacation/ This happened because the person applying the product used it in a manner inconsistent with the label. It is not allowed to be used in a residential setting. Now a family's life will forever be altered and the $87 million dollar settlement will not change that. All because someone didn't follow the label. I know this is an extreme example but my point is accidents and worse case scenarios are never planned. You never know what or when they will happen. Is it worth the risk?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    WWIII, HairyGary, 5altkreep and 5 others like this.
  4. Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds Zoa Addict R2R Supporter 3RMAS Member Article Contributor

That story is absolutely terrible. Family goes on vacation and each one comes back completely destoryed. Im glad they won the settlement buts its unfortunate they cant enjoy it.

Besides having common sense is there any other precautions people should take when using bayer? Is it just as bad as whatever was used in this article?

5. yellojello

yellojello Active Member

One cap per 20-30 gallons. Or I think some said 1 ml per gallon. So not that expensive at all. Better than losing a full tank of sps to red bugs. Interceptor is cheaper if can get it obviously.

6. Bpb

Bpb Valuable Member

Good to know. Though of any pest there are I’d take red bugs over any other. My tank was growing healthy with what I considered good PE and color and didn’t even discover red bugs until it was an accident, by taking pictures to share of my acros. No telling how long they were there. Frags made it to colonies with bugs

Rispa likes this.
  7. Battlecorals

Battlecorals Aquaculturist R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hey, Thanks a lot for chiming in! I was really hoping you'd see this one. It was our conversation a few years ago that changed my entire process and viewpoint on this stuff for sure, and I still greatly apprieciate your willingness to share your knowledge on it. It's serious stuff and people do need to start realizing that when it comes to using Bayer.

jwshiver and Rispa like this.
  8. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Imagine a health inspector walking into my restaurant kitchen and seeing a bottle of bayer....hahaha... talk about being done.

Rispa likes this.
  9. Robthorn

Robthorn Well-Known Member

Its not a problem if you store it correctly. Sitting on the counter next to meat or veggies and good luck to you. Lol

It

Rispa likes this.
  10. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

But.... i dip my vegetables for pests

Robthorn likes this.
  11. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Cough amazon

12. Sabellafella

Sabellafella Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Ive actually tryed the brightwell potassium dry mix, from what I've gathered- you'll need to raise your dip water to 1,600 ppm. That was the math I tryed my best to follow. Been trying it on and off for years. Works just like the reef primer. That polyp lab dip had to be one of the best commercial dips I've tryed, but at 40 dollars a bottle for a couple of gallon dips is just way to expensive for my hobbiest purposes.

13. Battlecorals

Totally with you on this

It definitely stings to buy the stuff. And at a gallon a time it’s about two dips worth which is crazy to me.

I actually only mix up 1000 ml batches and that takes 2 cap fulls. It’s a drawn out process but lasts a lot longer that way. I also learned recently that you can actually re use it. I have a container in my freezer right now with my last batch lol

Sabellafella likes this.
  14. Ferrell

Ferrell Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

Another great write up Adam. Not into sps yet and still using revive on my lps

Battlecorals likes this.
  15. Lord Chris

Lord Chris Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

I did one bear dip and lost one of my favorite actors and all the others survived so ever since then I’ve never used it again and was for red bugs so I ended up getting interceptor. But when I dip my quarantine in my nano for at least two weeks and watch it then I would do it every five days in revive

16. Kyl

Kyl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

The other thing about Bayer advanced is availability outside of the US. I haven't brushed up on our own laws here surrounding personal importation (US > CAN), but considering it's unavailable for sale up here, and that our government has been per suing limits on use of Imidacloprid, I doubt CBSA would take kindly to finding me bringing bottles of it back from a day trip. The EU is probably even stricter.

Thanks for the write-up!

17. Big E

Big E Well-Known Member

I've noticed people have been using Melafix with good results. I recently bought some to test out.

It's clear so you can see what comes off the corals.

Jlentz and HairyGary like this.
  18. Rispa

Rispa Valuable Member

I look forward to hearing about your experience

19. Sabellafella

I mean hey from the best of my knowledge, there should be no chemical imbalance with continued use like that other then stuff dying in the dip. But then again we are dipping corals in very strange stuff nowadays.

Never though of reusing it, actually plan on doing that soon as I get my hand on another bottle. Pretty cool stuff Adam thank you

20. Battlecorals

My pleasure. Ive used the frozen dip twice now, and so far good. If it starts to get nasty at all, ill definitely chuck it though.

Draft saved Draft deleted