MY OWN DIPPING REGIMEN, WITH IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE AND THE TRUTH ABOUT USING BAYER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is prohibitively expensive for a display. Not terrible for small dips though. One bottle treats a gallon correct? $20 or so.

I don't exactly recall how much a bottle treats but it feels like that.

I have 2 bottles on hand all the time but I'm not home atm. =)

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been strong and vocal proponent of using Bayer on new arrivals for many years. Until one day, a customer of mine who was in the pesticides business, (who I hope will chime in here) essentially sat me down and told it to me straight, after having recommended to him Bayer like I normally did, following a really rough post dip prognosis after using one of the more popular commercial dips, where nearly all the frag I sent perished.

Hey Adam. I remember this conversation well. I have thought about writing on this subject since our discussion. Thank you for writing this article. The law on this subject is very simple in the eyes of the EPA and State regulatory agencies; THE LABEL IS THE LAW. Period, end of discussion! If someone is using a pesticide in a manner that is not consistent with the label it is a violation of the law. I started my pest control business in 1997 and have been in the industry for 27 years. As I discussed with you, The Label is The Law, is one of the first things pounded into new employees brains when they start. This is done for the safety of the public, for the safety of the applicator, is required instruction to employee and liability protection for the business. Pesticides use is not to be taken lightly but if the label is followed they can be used safely and effectively.

I'm sure the Coral Dipping Police will not be knocking down anyone's door but, it will become an issue if a worse case scenario were to happen. From a liability stand point I don't see a defense against violating the label. You may have heard of the horribly sad story of a family poisoned on vacation https://www.cbsnews.com/news/87m-se...ened-by-toxic-pesticide-terminix-on-vacation/ This happened because the person applying the product used it in a manner inconsistent with the label. It is not allowed to be used in a residential setting. Now a family's life will forever be altered and the $87 million dollar settlement will not change that. All because someone didn't follow the label. I know this is an extreme example but my point is accidents and worse case scenarios are never planned. You never know what or when they will happen. Is it worth the risk?

Last edited:

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That story is absolutely terrible. Family goes on vacation and each one comes back completely destoryed. Im glad they won the settlement buts its unfortunate they cant enjoy it.

Besides having common sense is there any other precautions people should take when using bayer? Is it just as bad as whatever was used in this article?

yellojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that is prohibitively expensive for a display. Not terrible for small dips though. One bottle treats a gallon correct? $20 or so.

One cap per 20-30 gallons. Or I think some said 1 ml per gallon. So not that expensive at all. Better than losing a full tank of sps to red bugs. Interceptor is cheaper if can get it obviously.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One cap per 20-30 gallons. Or I think some said 1 ml per gallon. So not that expensive at all. Better than losing a full tank of sps to red bugs. Interceptor is cheaper if can get it obviously.

Good to know. Though of any pest there are I’d take red bugs over any other. My tank was growing healthy with what I considered good PE and color and didn’t even discover red bugs until it was an accident, by taking pictures to share of my acros. No telling how long they were there. Frags made it to colonies with bugs

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey Adam. I remember this conversation well. I have thought about writing on this subject since our discussion. Thank you for writing this article. The law on this subject is very simple in the eyes of the EPA and State regulatory agencies; THE LABEL IS THE LAW. Period, end of discussion! If someone is using a pesticide in a manner that is not consistent with the label it is a violation of the law. I started my pest control business in 1997 and have been in the industry for 27 years. As I discussed with you, The Label is The Law, is one of the first things pounded into new employees brains when they start. This is done for the safety of the public, for the safety of the applicator, is required instruction to employee and liability protection for the business. Pesticides use is not to be taken lightly but if the label is followed they can be used safely and effectively.

I'm sure the Coral Dipping Police will not be knocking down anyone's door but, it will become an issue if a worse case scenario were to happen. From a liability stand point I don't see a defense against violating the label. You may have heard of the horribly sad story of a family poisoned on vacation https://www.cbsnews.com/news/87m-se...ened-by-toxic-pesticide-terminix-on-vacation/ This happened because the person applying the product used it in a manner inconsistent with the label. It is not allowed to be used in a residential setting. Now a family's life will forever be altered and the $87 million dollar settlement will not change that. All because someone didn't follow the label. I know this is an extreme example but my point is accidents and worse case scenarios are never planned. You never know what or when they will happen. Is it worth the risk?

Hey, Thanks a lot for chiming in! I was really hoping you'd see this one. It was our conversation a few years ago that changed my entire process and viewpoint on this stuff for sure, and I still greatly apprieciate your willingness to share your knowledge on it. It's serious stuff and people do need to start realizing that when it comes to using Bayer.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Imagine a health inspector walking into my restaurant kitchen and seeing a bottle of bayer....hahaha... talk about being done.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not a problem if you store it correctly. Sitting on the counter next to meat or veggies and good luck to you. Lol

Imagine a health inspector walking into my restaurant kitchen and seeing a bottle of bayer....hahaha... talk about being done.
It

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Well i honestly didn't really want to call out any of the offending dips in this thread so ill tread lightly. I don't use revive on my sps though for what it's worth. I'm sure it's great dip for lps and zoanthinds but in my experience it was too harsh on sps at dosages strong enough to actually kill flatworms. Bayer can be hit or miss on flatworms in my experience as well. I have had to up the dosage a few time to what I'd consider alarming amounts, before i saw worms actually die. and times I'd often put immobile worms back in some untreated tank water to see if they'd snap out of it, and on occasion they would, scary stuff really.

However, I am still continuously experimenting with dips on the market as well, and if something better than what I am currently using comes along, I will absolutely use it. So far for flatworms specifically, the primer has proven to be the most effective. It's a potassium salt based dip, and i know there are people out there using potassium salt mixes on their own as dips with similar success. I'm just to naive to mix my own and feel confident using it, but I'm sure it would cost way less lol.
Ive actually tryed the brightwell potassium dry mix, from what I've gathered- you'll need to raise your dip water to 1,600 ppm. That was the math I tryed my best to follow. Been trying it on and off for years. Works just like the reef primer. That polyp lab dip had to be one of the best commercial dips I've tryed, but at 40 dollars a bottle for a couple of gallon dips is just way to expensive for my hobbiest purposes.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ive actually tryed the brightwell potassium dry mix, from what I've gathered- you'll need to raise your dip water to 1,600 ppm. That was the math I tryed my best to follow. Been trying it on and off for years. Works just like the reef primer. That polyp lab dip had to be one of the best commercial dips I've tryed, but at 40 dollars a bottle for a couple of gallon dips is just way to expensive for my hobbiest purposes.

Totally with you on this

It definitely stings to buy the stuff. And at a gallon a time it’s about two dips worth which is crazy to me.

I actually only mix up 1000 ml batches and that takes 2 cap fulls. It’s a drawn out process but lasts a lot longer that way. I also learned recently that you can actually re use it. I have a container in my freezer right now with my last batch lol

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did one bear dip and lost one of my favorite actors and all the others survived so ever since then I’ve never used it again and was for red bugs so I ended up getting interceptor. But when I dip my quarantine in my nano for at least two weeks and watch it then I would do it every five days in revive

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing about Bayer advanced is availability outside of the US. I haven't brushed up on our own laws here surrounding personal importation (US > CAN), but considering it's unavailable for sale up here, and that our government has been per suing limits on use of Imidacloprid, I doubt CBSA would take kindly to finding me bringing bottles of it back from a day trip. The EU is probably even stricter.

Thanks for the write-up!

Rispa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed people have been using Melafix with good results. I recently bought some to test out.

It's clear so you can see what comes off the corals.
I look forward to hearing about your experience

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Totally with you on this

It definitely stings to buy the stuff. And at a gallon a time it’s about two dips worth which is crazy to me.

I actually only mix up 1000 ml batches and that takes 2 cap fulls. It’s a drawn out process but lasts a lot longer that way. I also learned recently that you can actually re use it. I have a container in my freezer right now with my last batch lol
I mean hey from the best of my knowledge, there should be no chemical imbalance with continued use like that other then stuff dying in the dip. But then again we are dipping corals in very strange stuff nowadays.

Never though of reusing it, actually plan on doing that soon as I get my hand on another bottle. Pretty cool stuff Adam thank you

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I mean hey from the best of my knowledge, there should be no chemical imbalance with continued use like that other then stuff dying in the dip. But then again we are dipping corals in very strange stuff nowadays.

Never though of reusing it, actually plan on doing that soon as I get my hand on another bottle. Pretty cool stuff Adam thank you

My pleasure. Ive used the frozen dip twice now, and so far good. If it starts to get nasty at all, ill definitely chuck it though.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back