MY OWN DIPPING REGIMEN, WITH IMPORTANT DISCLOSURE AND THE TRUTH ABOUT USING BAYER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conversation has primarily been about corals, but I’m super curious about a possible dip for snails. When you say “any living/moving critter” are you including snails? If so, that would be awesome! Thanks.
Take a toothbrush and peroxide to shell, usually gets rid of any algae hitchhikers. Snails will pull themselves up into the shell.

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Battlecorals Any recent update on how UWC Expel / Primer has been working for you? Have you fully transitioned away from using Bayer?

I have a lot of respect for your opinion on this subject as I feel you are an industry leader in maintaining pest free corals. I had a bottle of Bayer in my shopping cart today, but after reading your post and this thread I decided to remove it. I didn't consider how powerful and potentially dangerous this stuff was until I came across this thread.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Battlecorals Any recent update on how UWC Expel has been working for you? Have you fully transitioned away from using Bayer?

I had a bottle of Bayer in my shopping cart today, but after reading your post and this thread I decided to remove it. I didn't consider how powerful and potentially dangerous this stuff was until I came across this thread.

Thanks!

Hi there, Yep and thanks for asking. I haven't used Bayer for a couple of years now I think

I have been using a capful or two of the Polyplab primer mixed in my expel solution for good measure, and it's definitely effective., Still a tad harsh on sps at dosages strong enough to "scorch earth" but much easier on them than any other commercial dips I've tried.

at this point, until something better comes along I'll be using this combo for sure.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam quick question about how you qt. I never quit understood how anyone qt’s coral. If you get a shipment of acros in and place them in a qt tank and notice a flatworm, isn’t that tank now useless? If you just take the corals out and dip them and place it back in the tank, they can just get flatworms again from any that were not currently on the coral. Same with a display tank with acros. Can’t just take the corals out, dip them and place them back and be flatworm free as any on the rock would just climb back on.

It seems like to qt corals you’d have to constantly take tanks down once a pest was ever noticed or am I thinking about this wrong.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adam quick question about how you qt. I never quit understood how anyone qt’s coral. If you get a shipment of acros in and place them in a qt tank and notice a flatworm, isn’t that tank now useless? If you just take the corals out and dip them and place it back in the tank, they can just get flatworms again from any that were not currently on the coral. Same with a display tank with acros. Can’t just take the corals out, dip them and place them back and be flatworm free as any on the rock would just climb back on.

It seems like to qt corals you’d have to constantly take tanks down once a pest was ever noticed or am I thinking about this wrong.

Adam, would love to hear your thoughts and how you approach this also.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's a great question and sorry for the. It's crazy how fast threads get buried these days. Thanks for the re-bump.

Ultimately my process relies very strongly on the inspection step. I spend more time very finely inspecting than the actual dip for sure. I think this is by far the most crucial step. If a coral has a single worm on it, I will find it before the coral goes in the dip. I'm certain of this. Any eggs and the entire piece is thrown out immediately. sometimes they don't even get out of the bags they were shipped in. Buckets, gloves sink, and any other apparatus are washed and rinsed thoroughly before proceeding after any eggs are found. Also, a very important part of the process, as eggs are way more dangerous than any living worms that are easily killed in my dip solution.

After inspection, it's on to an essentially scorched earth dip procedure that leaves nothing alive. So I am really operating on the notion that coral going in my QT is free of pests. And corals get the very same scorched earth procedure on the way out. probably a little more severe actually.

There was one instance a few years back now, that I found a single worm on a piece I was planning on removing from QT. This was a small batch from a heavily infested tank tear down that I attempted to salvage. Really nothing like a typical order of wild Aussies by comparison. Upon having found the worm, I tossed everything, drained the QT and started over. It sucked but the risk wasn't worth the coral I was trying to save to me. So to really answer your question, if I ever were to find any sign of a living pest in my QT, I will again scrap the batch and clean slate the QT 100%.

I totally plan on doing a step by step on my exact Dip/Inspection process for the BC youtube channel eventually. Probably going to let my kids run with it and try to get some more content up there now that they are home, so that's something to look forward to as well. And also long overdue

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a great question and sorry for the. It's crazy how fast threads get buried these days. Thanks for the re-bump.

Ultimately my process relies very strongly on the inspection step. I spend more time very finely inspecting than the actual dip for sure. I think this is by far the most crucial step. If a coral has a single worm on it, I will find it before the coral goes in the dip. I'm certain of this. Any eggs and the entire piece is thrown out immediately. sometimes they don't even get out of the bags they were shipped in. Buckets, gloves sink, and any other apparatus are washed and rinsed thoroughly before proceeding after any eggs are found. Also, a very important part of the process, as eggs are way more dangerous than any living worms that are easily killed in my dip solution.

After inspection, it's on to an essentially scorched earth dip procedure that leaves nothing alive. So I am really operating on the notion that coral going in my QT is free of pests. And corals get the very same scorched earth procedure on the way out. probably a little more severe actually.

There was one instance a few years back now, that I found a single worm on a piece I was planning on removing from QT. This was a small batch from a heavily infested tank tear down that I attempted to salvage. Really nothing like a typical order of wild Aussies by comparison. Upon having found the worm, I tossed everything, drained the QT and started over. It sucked but the risk wasn't worth the coral I was trying to save to me. So to really answer your question, if I ever were to find any sign of a living pest in my QT, I will again scrap the batch and clean slate the QT 100%.

I totally plan on doing a step by step on my exact Dip/Inspection process for the BC youtube channel eventually. Probably going to let my kids run with it and try to get some more content up there now that they are home, so that's something to look forward to as well. And also long overdue
Thanks for the detailed response!

Makes total sense and I always wondered how most people try and get away with bringing in corals putting them in a tank and then dipping, made no sense.

So pretty much pest can’t even be allowed in to a qt it seems.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am about to transition from using bayer to expel. I was wondering what concentration you’re using that you trust kills all the pests were are looking to eliminate.

the directions read:
3ml Expel per 2 quarts (0.5 gallons) of aquarium water in dipping container.

Is this the concentration you use?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to know which state statute you think you are violating by using bayer to dip your corals.

First, to say it is "against the law" indicates that you think there is a federal law governing the use of this product. There likely isn't.

Different states have different laws. If you are aware of your state's law that makes dipping corals in Bayer illegal, please cite the statute number. I'd love to read it.

Mercado

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Adam,

Hope you had a great weekend. To confirm you dip an SPS in Reef Primer for up to 15 mins and then right after into Bayer?

How long in bayer? Your mix of Bayer/Water is 103.5 ml (Bayer) to 1000 ml (tank water).

Thank you for the write up,

Special K

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the only place to buy the expel from their website?

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you got new customer soon :)

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to know which state statute you think you are violating by using bayer to dip your corals.

First, to say it is "against the law" indicates that you think there is a federal law governing the use of this product. There likely isn't.

Different states have different laws. If you are aware of your state's law that makes dipping corals in Bayer illegal, please cite the statute number. I'd love to read it.

It's a weird and common misconception in the reefing community that Bayer is super dangerous for humans. Imidacloprid (the active ingredient) is one of the most widely used insecticides in the world. All banning of this chemical has everything to do with it's unintended ability to wipe out honey bee populations (which get exposed to it by folks spraying outdoor foliage w the chemical). Dipping corals in it and safely disposing the water in a toilet doesn't pose this same threat to bees.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If dipping corals is not on the label it is illegal to use it in that manner.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

If dipping corals is not on the label it is illegal to use it in that manner.

Hey, Thanks a lot for chiming in on this one.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey @Battlecorals what about that video of your dipping process and doses on your YouTube channel? I would really like to see your process for treating these corals as they come into your facility.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back