My parameters are out of wack in my first salt water nano reef (fluval evo 13.5)

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just a quick update.

So I received a TDS meter today and did a test on their RODI water. It tested at 483ppm.

Is this normal or is my LFS just selling me tap water? Does this explain my alkalinity issues?

This is the TDS meter I bought and used: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/com-100-waterproof-ec-tds-meter-hm-digital.html
Sounds like it or they just have never tested it or changed filters. Either way you are on a much higher path to success with the info given here and what you said you are doing moving forward. You may want to take everything this shop says with a grain of salt and researching it before making any decisions. I would do some small water changes spread out over a few weeks to drop alk slowly. The coral pro salt mixes to 11.5 dkh I think and if you were to essentially cut your alk in half or even down by a quarter at once then I don’t think your corals would react well. Maybe just do a gallon per day for a couple weeks and see where that gets you.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it or they just have never tested it or changed filters. Either way you are on a much higher path to success with the info given here and what you said you are doing moving forward. You may want to take everything this shop says with a grain of salt and researching it before making any decisions. I would do some small water changes spread out over a few weeks to drop alk slowly. The coral pro salt mixes to 11.5 dkh I think and if you were to essentially cut your alk in half or even down by a quarter at once then I don’t think your corals would react well. Maybe just do a gallon per day for a couple weeks and see where that gets you.
Thanks for the advice! I received my 7-stage RODI unit today but the adapter fittings it came for the drain valve didn't fit my faucet so I have to run around tomorrow and try and find an alternative.

Worst case scenario I have to plug in straight to the cold water line.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I received my 7-stage RODI unit today but the adapter fittings it came for the drain valve didn't fit my faucet so I have to run around tomorrow and try and find an alternative.

Worst case scenario I have to plug in straight to the cold water line.
No problem. It seems like a great tank and once you figure these issues out you will have a solid base for a reef tank. I’m using one currently for coral qt and just stock it seems to be doing a good job. Going to upgrade the light soon and one in tank media basket but that’s all I’m planning. You may want to look into a skimmer if you plan on keeping more than a couple fish in there. I just have my rodi setup like that in my basement right now. I think it makes the filters a bit less efficient the colder the water but I haven’t had any issues yet. I think pressure is the more important thing in terms of how much you can produce. It’s also a good gauge for maintenance because if it goes up for a bit you can probably assume the membrane is slightly clogging. If it didn’t come with a pressure gauge I would buy one it’s cheap and it wouldn’t hurt to have an inline tds meter but you said you had a manual one so that will do to.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. It seems like a great tank and once you figure these issues out you will have a solid base for a reef tank. I’m using one currently for coral qt and just stock it seems to be doing a good job. Going to upgrade the light soon and one in tank media basket but that’s all I’m planning. You may want to look into a skimmer if you plan on keeping more than a couple fish in there. I just have my rodi setup like that in my basement right now. I think it makes the filters a bit less efficient the colder the water but I haven’t had any issues yet. I think pressure is the more important thing in terms of how much you can produce. It’s also a good gauge for maintenance because if it goes up for a bit you can probably assume the membrane is slightly clogging. If it didn’t come with a pressure gauge I would buy one it’s cheap and it wouldn’t hurt to have an inline tds meter but you said you had a manual one so that will do to.
The unit came with a glycerin filled pressure cage thankfully. I ordered a booster pump just to be safe

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey everyone, just a quick update.

So I received a TDS meter today and did a test on their RODI water. It tested at 483ppm.

Is this normal or is my LFS just selling me tap water? Does this explain my alkalinity issues?

This is the TDS meter I bought and used: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/com-100-waterproof-ec-tds-meter-hm-digital.html

Edited following a quick bit of research!!

What are you transporting the RODI in? Did they previously have something else in (e.g. saltwater)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my RODI system. Getting 0 TDS out of the output purified water line.

9E43AEF4-4483-4D7A-A9EB-BCEAECA3C4B8.jpeg

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fingers crossed! ;Nailbiting
I actually keep 55 gallon drums (hydro farms hydroponic if you’re curious) of both salt and fresh. That way I always have enough to fix any problem across all my systems. They do make 10-20-30 gallon etc ones too if you want to go that route. Keeping mine crossed for ya too!

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually keep 55 gallon drums (hydro farms hydroponic if you’re curious) of both salt and fresh. That way I always have enough to fix any problem across all my systems. They do make 10-20-30 gallon etc ones too if you want to go that route. Keeping mine crossed for ya too!
Ohhh that is actually very helpful. I'm not happy with my containers and was looking around for alternatives. I will definitely check those out.

Thank you!

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohhh that is actually very helpful. I'm not happy with my containers and was looking around for alternatives. I will definitely check those out.

Thank you!
Doesn’t have to be that brand but I like them, you’re looking for food grade. I learned this the hard way with trash cans, Rubbermaid makes food safe and regular and I didn’t know that until way down the road. If you go trash can style( Brute food grade) they make wheel kits for the bottom. I used those for YEARS to get water around til I plumbed all my tanks into my house walls. You’ll definitely want them cuz 20-30 gallons is a couple hundred pounds

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy my saltwater premixed from my LSA.

I have 7 fish and a handful of corals, I think around 7-9. They're all little frags.
Too many fish in that small of a tank I think. You have count your inverts and stuff. That seems huge bio load in that tank. I have one as well and have a tiny wrasse, a fire fish, and. Tiny clown. I assume I will at some point have to remove at least one of them as they out grown the tank. I have several corals, a fire shrimp, emerald crab, and a few snails and hermits. I really don't think my system would support much more than that.

OP
OP
kiran

kiran

reef noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many fish in that small of a tank I think. You have count your inverts and stuff. That seems huge bio load in that tank. I have one as well and have a tiny wrasse, a fire fish, and. Tiny clown. I assume I will at some point have to remove at least one of them as they out grown the tank. I have several corals, a fire shrimp, emerald crab, and a few snails and hermits. I really don't think my system would support much more than that.
Yeah my system was definitely way over its bio-load. I donated 2 fish to my local LFS, gave 2 to a friend of mine, and gave one to my little cousin who just recently started his own saltwater tank.

Now I have 1 clown and 1 tailspot blenny and a handful of coral and inverts. I think I have around 6-8 inverts total and I gave away some frags as thanksgiving gifts so I'm down to 6 frags, 4 of which are zoas, 1 hammer coral, and 1 blastemusa (sp?)

Bombschell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my system was definitely way over its bio-load. I donated 2 fish to my local LFS, gave 2 to a friend of mine, and gave one to my little cousin who just recently started his own saltwater tank.

Now I have 1 clown and 1 tailspot blenny and a handful of coral and inverts. I think I have around 6-8 inverts total and I gave away some frags as thanksgiving gifts so I'm down to 6 frags, 4 of which are zoas, 1 hammer coral, and 1 blastemusa (sp?)
That seems a much more reasonable and manageable load. Here is a pic of our little tank. I have kept salt water for years then took about 10 years off before wifey said "lets do another aquarium" this is one of the smallest I've had and the first mixed reef so even with experience there was a lot to learn. I hope you have success and enjoy as much as we have. We are just about through the uglies which I extended due to a lack of knowledge and experience with these systems.

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_170239225.jpg
    IMG_20211202_170239225.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 28

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back