My peacock has gone blind (Leopard Macropharyngodon meleagris)

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One day I was feeding my tank and all seemed normal, then I didn't see my peacock wrasse for a few weeks(in which I thought he had died randomly) and then when he would pop out(a few weeks at a time). he would swim into rocks and everything causing him to circle on the sand bed and then dive back into the sand, it's been a good month if not longer I hadn't seen him and I saw him today briefly, maybe for 5 mins doing the exact same thing and then dived back into the sand. I've had a look at his eyes and they aren't cloudy, when this happened first I did a freshwater dip with a few drops of methylene blue but I've only done this once. is there anything I can do to fix him or help him it's sad to watch him like this he was the protector of my reef.(I've had him over 1 year prior to this issue)

the picture below him sleeping in the sand with his tail out

IMG_20230315_113058.jpg

Last edited:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a leopard do this a few years back. Ended up being a broken beak from hitting the sandbed to hard. Literally could not eat, and wasted away until it eventually died.

Is it eating?

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
firstly thank you all for commenting I really do appreciate it @homer1475 @Sharkbait19 @SaltyT

I haven't seen him eat for about 3 weeks, whenever I even feed him he never comes out of the sand, and when he does he bangs into a few rocks then starts to circle the sand in the tank and dives back into the sandbed. Today I've seen him sleeping close to the glass so I will post a video he does look like he's breathing heavily. Is it possible for a peacock wrasse to last 3/4 weeks without eating and just constantly sleeping to save its energy?

Attachments

• VID_20230317_153526.mp4
    48.5 MB
OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive done a fresh dip before
Breathing that fast is concerning - velvet can be ruled out due to the timetables, but flukes are possible.
shall I do a freshwater dip again with a few drops of methylene blue I've got other fish and they are all perfect such as my clown and my aptasia-eating filefish

(my setup so you know is two gyre pointing towards the surface making some crazy aeration and I've got a skimmer which is a pretty good tunze made for double my tank size)

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if this doesn't work do I have to put it down :'( i don't want it to suffer he's been like this for at least one month

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene blue isn’t too effective for saltwater fish - flukes would likely affect most fish as well.
Are you able to get this guy into a separate qt for closer observation?

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene blue isn’t too effective for saltwater fish - flukes would likely affect most fish as well.
Are you able to get this guy into a separate qt for closer observation?
I don't have a QT as i get all my fish QT'ed but ill catch him in a container and take another video of him tomorrow

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT as i get all my fish QT'ed but ill catch him in a container and take another video of him tomorrow
I've been trying to catch him the last few days as he's gone under a rock and just waiting for him to move from that spot so i can catch him and then send you a video

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found him today upside down and breathing heavily I slowly picked him up and when I looked at him again he wasn't breathing and had died from looking at him his eye was clear and didn't have a spec on his scales I would think he had gone blind and stayed alive as long as possible without eating (he did look skinny) thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it but today is a sad day for me and my wife :(

OP
OP
M

MarineLunatic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear
Keep a close eye on your other fish for now, just to ensure it wasn’t any disease issue.
thank you I will keep an eye on them as soon as he died I removed him and then did a 50L water change including a gravel siphon just to be sure.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back