My peppermint shrimp are eating my torch

cameron_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced my torch and immediately I saw the shrimp have pieces of the torch in their mouth what should I do? Should I move the shrimp?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced my torch and immediately I saw the shrimp have pieces of the torch in their mouth what should I do? Should I move the shrimp?
I have since removed all shrimp from my systems as they are permanently banned from all my systems

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because mine minds his own business in his cave and rarely comes out. A single one in a 90. Never seen him bother a coral. Maybe mine has better things to do.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because mine minds his own business in his cave and rarely comes out. A single one in a 90. Never seen him bother a coral. Maybe mine has better things to do.
Mine have eaten chalice , acans, torch’s , dendro, blastos, and I’m sure more that I have not specifically seen

RedSeaReefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said it before and I’ll say it again peppermint shrimp are NOT reef safe. Yet LFS’s always advertise them like they are and say “well they’re great for aiptasia”

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are peppermints known for eating torches?
I haven’t read about them eating corals unless they are dying. They’ll eat the dead parts and leave healthy tissue alone. I’ve witnessed this behavior in my system as well for acan frag that took a turn for the worst. Only about 1/3 of the specimen was devoured. They left the remaining 2/3 and the frag bounced back.

Peppermint will, however, learn that they can irritate the corals and get it to regurgitate it’s food. Then they steal the regurgitated food. Sometimes they can relax right in. Frequent use as a Pez dispenser can traumatize a coral. I’ve seen it personally on my duncans and trumpet
I fed the repeat offending shrimp to my catalaphyllias and cynarinas.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back