My piece of the Ocean (Reefer 250 Build)

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Well done! Looks like a mini water-reclamation plant under there.

Inspiring to see how much can be done (neatly) in a small space. Still got room for a doser?

Regarding the ATI retro... Did you send Dave an ATI fixture, or did he modify a new one? how long did it take? I have a 6x24w Sunpower from my last build that I am thinking about using on my Reefer 250. It will be nice to see yours in action.

OP
OP
Rory's Reef

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Well done! Looks like a mini water-reclamation plant under there.

Inspiring to see how much can be done (neatly) in a small space. Still got room for a doser?

Regarding the ATI retro... Did you send Dave an ATI fixture, or did he modify a new one? how long did it take? I have a 6x24w Sunpower from my last build that I am thinking about using on my Reefer 250. It will be nice to see yours in action.

Thanks! I really appreciate it :)

For the doser I originally planned on getting the DOS & DDR from Neptune which would have fit perfect. The DOS would go on the back behind my plumbing and the DDR would fit next to the ATO container. However, I've recently been debating selling off my Apex and going for a GHL ProfiLux 4. If I do, it will probably wait till the summer when I will have more time to dedicate to rewiring and programing. Another type of doser could fit in the current setup, but I would most likely need to build a custom shelf to be bolted to the top in order to keep it looking neat.

I did not have an ATI fixture so Dave ordered a new one for me. I want to say it took about 3 weeks before I received it. This included about a week for him to receive the new ATI fixture, then because I had it anodized black that added another 7 - 10 days, then a few days for him to wire it up and another few days for shipping. Honestly, I wish I had gone with the 6X24 instead of the 4x24. It would have allowed me to have 4 t5s instead of just the 2 and then I think it would be perfect for the 25o! Overall, I'm actually quite happy with it so far (even though I wasn't sure at first). My tank's still too new to get any good looking corals going, but I have faith that the light will do the job.

rroselavy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Nanobox info.

I have eyed the Profilux4 as well (at least the standalone doser). I still have a Reef Keeper Elite somewhere in a box, so I will probably just dig that out and give it a second life.

OP
OP
Rory's Reef

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the Nanobox info.

I have eyed the Profilux4 as well (at least the standalone doser). I still have a Reef Keeper Elite somewhere in a box, so I will probably just dig that out and give it a second life.

Nice! I wish I had a controller lying around :). This is my first endeavor into controllers and unfortunately I didn't do enough research and just went with the most popular one.

OP
OP
Rory's Reef

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really would like to keep this thread updated more and put more into it to look back at later when things are coming together. Unfortunately, between work and school I can't keep up with it as much. Plus, I'm still fighting the ugly diatoms :(.

However, this past weekend I took a little trip down to Denver for Reefstock X and decided to make it a little weekend get away with my girlfriend. The first day was a bit of a mess getting everything together and we didn't make it down until a little after noon. We quickly found out that everyone shows up in the first few hours on the first day and raids the booths before calling it good and heading home. By the time we arrived it was still pretty full so we walked around and listened to some speakers before my girlfriend had had enough :rolleyes: and was ready to go. The second day I she dropped me off and to my surprise found it pretty quite. I listened to Jake Adams talk, which was interesting, and was finally able to snag a few corals before I headed home. Being that this was my first reef show I had to show some restraint and not buy every single coral I thought I HAD to have o_O. But, I did find two corals that I've been wanting for quite some time now. The first is a Jason Fox Jack-O-Lantern Leptoseris and the second is a pretty cool looking Fungia Plate Coral. I'm still working on my photography skills and my pictures really don't do them justice, but hopefully I can get better as time goes on.

JF JackOLantern Lepto.jpg
Fungia Plate Coral 1.jpg

VstyLe09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i ask what your lighting schedule is running that nanobox? Ive been running 36" with 4 arrays and 2 t5's, still cant find a schedule the corals are happy with.

OP
OP
Rory's Reef

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i ask what your lighting schedule is running that nanobox? Ive been running 36" with 4 arrays and 2 t5's, still cant find a schedule the corals are happy with.

TBH, I haven't quite found that sweet spot with these lights either. Right now I have my whites down low because I'm still dealing with a diatom issue. But I seem to mess with it every now and then trying to get a nice balance of aesthetics and what my corals like. This is what I'm currently running and my T5's come on during the midday period. I was actually thinking of emailing Dave and seeing if he had any suggestions for starting off points. Which I think I'll do now.
fullsizeoutput_368.jpeg

reefaboo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the wall where you attached dry wall and did you use the wooden studs to do the arms for hanging lights ?

was wondering how much weight a dry wall can hold and mine has aluminium studs which are pretty useless :)

OP
OP
Rory's Reef

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is the wall where you attached dry wall and did you use the wooden studs to do the arms for hanging lights ?

was wondering how much weight a dry wall can hold and mine has aluminium studs which are pretty useless :)

No I didn't mess with the studs. Dry wall can actually hold a lot more than most people think if done correctly. I've hung lots of TV's and panels for work on drywall before and they're a lot heavier than my light. You just need to get some good size toggle bolts. I used two of these in each bracket and I'm confident that I never have to worry about it falling. Just don't hang on it ;).

Sppf121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome sump build. Is this all 3/4"... Thank for putting this out.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back