OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - Yes in the summer time I run one - in the winter not needed. I did however just buy an inline 6" exhaust fan I am going to install in the spring. I am going to hook it up to the apex to run hourly or every few hours - I will see once it is in. I got a larger one so I can do a decent size air exchange. My issue is my boiler - when it kicks on in the summer to heat the water tank that is when I get the bad humidity in the room. Like I said - winter is no issue.

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS today
uploadfromtaptalk1424554963647.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Any updates? :)

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Actually a pretty big update. I made a custom sump, changed up my sump room. Switched my skimmer to a Reeflo Orca 250 (love) and the grow out tank is thriving! Since the video I have however gone back to my Kessils on the Frag tank and added a Kessil H150 grow light to the fuge.

Here is a video of the sump room.

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah those rastas look happy! I LOVE your setup; the custom sump, very nice rimless frag tank, fuge looks great, nice big*** skimmer, and grow out tank is lookin good! You said you're running a bio reactor; this mean biopellets? If so what type of reactor and pellets you use? And what brand is that sump? Is the brand called Mr Reefs? I'd like to see their sumps as I'm now in the market for one. Thanks!

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! MR Reefs is a logo I created. (my initials) and the sump I designed and a friend helped me build. Came out awesome. I liked my Oceanic sump but this is SO much more efficient in how it works, a lot cleaner and less noise. Not that noise was an issue as it is in my basement.

My reactor is a Reef Dynamics. I went to an All in one and they have really kicked in. I use Reef Interests All-In-One BioPellets.

As far as the Skimmer - Heck yeah! Thing ROCKS! Thick foam skims awesome.

And yes they are some happy Rastas! I have a boatload of them. Been selling and trading them local.

Mike

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare submersible pump with a hose. I put it in the sump with the accessory pump off but main pumps going to the DT and Grow out tank running. As the water level drops, once the drain stops I kill the return pump and empty out the sump most of the way. Gives me about a 50-60 gallon change on a 300 gallon system. During this time I have the holding tank on the left recirculating, heating and mixing the salt water. I turn the valve and fill the sump - when I get to where I am well over the water line I turn on the DT return pump, top off the two DT tanks, once those are full I turn back on the accessory pump and top those off.

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff and love the fact your so patient with your grow out tank and frags - I personally can't wait to get new stuff in the show tank and could learn a lot by doing it your way.

I know many do this however watching your videos and reading it brings into focus many things - Great setup and man do you devote a lot of your personal time into reefing - LOVE IT

Now time to copy off you a little, well with all you have I will say a tiny, tiny, tiny bit

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Velocity. It's been a lot of research and tweaking. And trust me certain frags go right in the DT! Like the Oregon tort I just got!

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Velocity. It's been a lot of research and tweaking. And trust me certain frags go right in the DT! Like the Oregon tort I just got!

Nice, yea I have a 200 with a 20 gal sump that is getting moved to a 40gal today and it's crazy as I was just thinking during the week how I wanted to implement the 20g as well - I think am going to follow your lead and use it in the system as well.

Have a question, what is the tank with the plants in it up top left actually doing ? I know it's some type of filtration correct ? But what else does it bring ?

In short, trying to find what could the 20g be used for while helping the most

OP
OP
Reefinny

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a refugium. Mostly now only has chaeto the calupra went asexual and I had some issues from that. Won't use it again. It is great for growing pods. My pod population is out of control. The sand bed is about 4"

Velocity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a refugium. Mostly now only has chaeto the calupra went asexual and I had some issues from that. Won't use it again. It is great for growing pods. My pod population is out of control. The sand bed is about 4"

I need PODS in my life lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 45.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back