OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah mine aren't spaced that far apart, the dead plate is about 5.5-6" in diameter and each 1x1" square has anywhere from 10 to 20+ of the little polyps, some of them looked like they were growing into each other/fused together.

They are attached pretty firmly, the smaller ones won't come off without breaking but the 1/4"+ sized ones pop off fairly easily. I've only been removing the ones that look like they're growing into each other or completely shading the smaller ones.

Glass Algae

Show Me The Anemone!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This forum is magic. I'll never toss a skeleton ever again. Saw this with sun corals and dendros on the forum now plates!? And that's some QUICK growth! Almost worth it to kill a plate and harvest the babies!!

OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think its hit or miss, I had another plate that died that was much smaller (2" in diameter) and it doesn't look like it's doing anything. Still leaving it in hopes it will sprout some babies too though lol.

They do grow pretty quick, they went from a 1/8" polyp to covering a 3/4" plug in a couple months.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can get surprisingly large in a short amount of time. It's best though to judge growth by measuring the skeleton with the polyp completely deflated.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to post another update, I've been picking the bigger ones off and glueing them to plugs, new ones seem to keep popping up on the dead skeleton also.

20200922_030607.jpg
I recently had a large fungia plate recess for some reason but has kept a couple pieces of tissue. This is an inspiration!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skeleton of that same green plate coral with pink mouth, and mine’s been making babies for years now. Probably 20-30 at this point. Super neat to watch it happen. Congrats!

Its one of the few parts of the hobby that actually makes money for me:)

OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had a large fungia plate recess for some reason but has kept a couple pieces of tissue. This is an inspiration!

That's pretty much the same thing that happened to me, there was one little sliver of tissue remaining and it slowly died within a week or so.

It took a long time for the polyps to start growing after it lost all its tissue, I think it was atleast a month or two. The polyps are tiny when they first start growing, like the size of half a sesame seed lol. I only noticed it after taking a close look at it under actinic lighting, I found a pic of it I took when I first got it, it was only 3 inches or so in diameter, I hope they grow into something similar, so far they do look like mini versions of it.

20190829_023023.jpg

OP
OP
M

Min

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skeleton of that same green plate coral with pink mouth, and mine’s been making babies for years now. Probably 20-30 at this point. Super neat to watch it happen. Congrats!

Its one of the few parts of the hobby that actually makes money for me:)

Thanks! I know I'm giving out a bunch for free to the couple local reefers I know. The lfs near me gives me a decent amount of store credit for frags I bring them, I can't wait till these grow a couple more inches lol.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is officially happening to mine! I can see some very small tentacles on a few of the spots and it looks like they all have mouths.

so happy I came across this post and kept it.

08F7AB46-52F5-4CC8-A6E3-7B1EE975861A.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back