My porcupine puffer is getting lazy or sick?

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had her when she was 1.5" and 18 months later she is now 6-7". She had been swimming around / near the top of the tank until recently. Starting a month or so ago, she slows down a lot and would just sink and sit at the bottom, sometimes in some awkward position for hours. She does eat and we mainly feed her silverside and occasionally shrimp, clams, snails etc from Asian supermarket. I remember when she was well fed, she's like pregnant. Now I do not see her full tummy even after eating. One thing for sure, I have never seen her poop.

There doesn't seem like any disease I can see on the body. I have moved her to my QT but it is even smaller (30G) than the 72G she was in. She does make a mess when eating and foul up the QT quickly. I am thinking about moving her back. I know 72G is still too small for her. I will soon get a 300G.

Question for you if you have a porcupine, do they get lazy and sit at the bottom resting when they get older? Or they are so smart and figure out no point swimming around unless I walk closer holding a cup. Or fatty silver I have heard?

Image20190914_001.jpg

OP
OP
D

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I just noticed something. She might have some bone stuck in her throat. She might need a surgery?

IMG_20190902_102348.jpg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar spot towards the tail, so not likely a foreign object that is lodged. Looks like an infection/bacteria/etc

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What color is the poop.? If white , or even not may be an internal parasite issue. Furan or metroplex will work well for this and even praziPro
If you haven’t already, add vitamins to food such as selcon and also garlic extract but not at the same time

OP
OP
D

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She does eat but I have never seen her poop.
I will change water (she eats dirty) and watch for couple more days before doing the medication.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would post in fish-disease-treatment-and-diagnosis I've kept Porcupine Puffers for well over ten years and while they do lay around the tank from time to time, they ALWAYS swim right to the front of the tank when they see their owners. When you get his heath back in shape (fingers crossed) I would change up his diet. Fish are not a typical diet for Puffers. Clams, shellfish and algae sheets should make up most of their diet. Way cleaner than feeding silversides also.

OP
OP
D

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She seems to be fine now. I did not medicate. The 2 red spots are going away and she is actively swimming during the day. I will change the diet. Thanks for all the comments.

IMG_5289.JPG

IMG_5290.JPG
\

Back