Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. I had a puffer, a dogface puffer... he was my favorite fish in the world... he had passed away 4 days ago from Ick... he was truly a strong one. I buried his body and had a little funeral... any ideas on how to remember him even more?
Poll below.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I had a dogface puffer many years ago. He'd roll over and let me scratch his belly. Spit water in my face, with excellent aim, I might add, if I was a bit slow with his dinner. Awesome fish. Had to give him away when he got too big for the 75 gallon tank I had him in.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I've been itching to respond to this for a week, but I was naughty and finally can post again.

I lost my porcupine puffer last year suddenly (still have no idea why, I watch my camera and it was almost like a stroke) after I built him a 210 gallon tank. I was heartbroken. I buried him in my little fish area in the yard (more little funerals than I ever had hoped for). He was by far my favorite and was more of a pet than a fish. I had him for 4+ years.

My point is, I get it. Puffers are different from other fish. Here is what I did, I bought a new porcupine 2 days later. I saw him at the LFS the week before. I did not do it to replace the old one (Sean), but because the first day I came home and there was no smiling pressed against the glass it hurt. Yes, I have 3 dogs and a wife, but the fish are living creatures too. I "saved" another puffer because I felt I already knew them and I was better set up.

I also had a canvas made of my favorite picture. I have 3 of them on the fish room the best ones. Get another one, they are the best! I will never be without a puffer or a lionfish. 20180514_202303.jpg

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I've been itching to respond to this for a week, but I was naughty and finally can post again.

I lost my porcupine puffer last year suddenly (still have no idea why, I watch my camera and it was almost like a stroke) after I built him a 210 gallon tank. I was heartbroken. I buried him in my little fish area in the yard (more little funerals than I ever had hoped for). He was by far my favorite and was more of a pet than a fish. I had him for 4+ years.

My point is, I get it. Puffers are different from other fish. Here is what I did, I bought a new porcupine 2 days later. I saw him at the LFS the week before. I did not do it to replace the old one (Sean), but because the first day I came home and there was no smiling pressed against the glass it hurt. Yes, I have 3 dogs and a wife, but the fish are living creatures too. I "saved" another puffer because I felt I already knew them and I was better set up.

I also had a canvas made of my favorite picture. I have 3 of them on the fish room the best ones. Get another one, they are the best! I will never be without a puffer or a lionfish. 20180514_202303.jpg
Hello. I am sorry for your loss and I’m glad you got a picture of him. Sadly, I would wish to do the same. I don’t have any pictures of him looking happy... the only thing I do to still remember him is, I put new dirt on his burial spot every Sunday and pluck the weeds out where he is always to remember how happy he made me. He didn’t smile, but him the glass to say hi was his smile. I sadly have been waiting 4 weeks to get one from my LFS as they all can’t get one somehow... my tank is sad without him. But thank you still for waiting 1 week to reply! That means a lot. :)

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. I had a dogface puffer many years ago. He'd roll over and let me scratch his belly. Spit water in my face, with excellent aim, I might add, if I was a bit slow with his dinner. Awesome fish. Had to give him away when he got too big for the 75 gallon tank I had him in.
I've got the saltwater in my eye before, lol. Patience is not a virtue in the fish world.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im near MA! And I saw your prof pic and I’ve been dying to ask this! WHERE DID U GET THAT CUTE ANGLER/FROG FISH!
Lol, that was Blinky. He died a couple of years ago. He was awesome, but I learned that you can only feed anglers 2 times a week regardless of how much they wave their lure. He came from liveaquaria.

I now have a painted black angler (also awesome fish that have lots of personality)

I got him online from thatfishplace.com. Good place, better that you think.

Where are you located? Most places around here are less than desirable. I have to treat all the fish because I don't like their environment. My favorite place (Oceans in Glass) closed last year. My last 2 fish (firefish for my reef tank) came from Petco. I treated them with CP and GC to treat whatever.

I'd buy online before local which sucks, but I haven't seen too much to make me change my mind. I buy corals from 2 people, but not fish. All corals get dipped as well. 20180107_173856.jpg

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, that was Blinky. He died a couple of years ago. He was awesome, but I learned that you can only feed anglers 2 times a week regardless of how much they wave their lure. He came from liveaquaria.

I now have a painted black angler (also awesome fish that have lots of personality)

I got him online from thatfishplace.com. Good place, better that you think.

Where are you located? Most places around here are less than desirable. I have to treat all the fish because I don't like their environment. My favorite place (Oceans in Glass) closed last year. My last 2 fish (firefish for my reef tank) came from Petco. I treated them with CP and GC to treat whatever.

I'd buy online before local which sucks, but I haven't seen too much to make me change my mind. I buy corals from 2 people, but not fish. All corals get dipped as well. 20180107_173856.jpg
He is beautiful! And will he eat my small fish if I do get one? And how much was he! He truly looks beautiful and awesome!

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is beautiful! And will he eat my small fish if I do get one? And how much was he! He truly looks beautiful and awesome!
I don't know how small is small, but yes lol.

They get about 4-5" but their mouth is huge so anything that is their body size is in danger.

I think he was $90 + shipping ($40?) I posted a video of him swimming. It really is a sight to see. They don't have swim bladders so it's all water jet through their mouth. Check out my YouTube channel, I have a bunch of fish videos. Anglers, lions, puffers.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will eat anything that can fit in his mouth, there better off with there own tank and preferably one that is mature and fully cycled. They take certain skill levels and patience as well so I'd refrain from getting one.

OP
OP
DoggoThePuffer

DoggoThePuffer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will eat anything that can fit in his mouth, there better off with there own tank and preferably one that is mature and fully cycled. They take certain skill levels and patience as well so I'd refrain from getting one.
True. I did some research and it’s nuts to me how their mouth expands! I won’t get one but if they weren’t aggressive and didn’t eat fish, I would have gotten one. Also, I have been doing some reaserch on a bay near me and Golden saltwater puffers will appear 4 times a day! I want to catch one but will they act weird if they aren’t bred in a tank?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. I did some research and it’s nuts to me how their mouth expands! I won’t get one but if they weren’t aggressive and didn’t eat fish, I would have gotten one. Also, I have been doing some reaserch on a bay near me and Golden saltwater puffers will appear 4 times a day! I want to catch one but will they act weird if they aren’t bred in a tank?
Please don't catch anything and put it in your tank.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you are in the carribean, I wouldn't catch one. The tropical aquarium environment is very different from the northern Atlantic.

You would have to keep the water in the 60s and wouldn't be able to get any other fish.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffy and I send our condolences.
I am in MA. I will keep an eye out for you on my travels for a frogfish for you. Also a Puffer. Not to replace your beloved Doggo, but to give maybe another awesome fish a new home, because you are setup for it.
Honestly I don't know what I would do if I lost Puffy. It has been 4+ years of having him. Everyday he makes me smile and my roommate. We always say,"we love our other fish, but nothing can compare to Puffy." I have lost a few fish in the past 2 years. Losing my Swissguard basslet killed me, then seeing my clown fish swimming around looking for him everyday was heartbreaking. Then my spotted mandarin died shortly after. The tank got hit hard with velvet and brook at the same time. So I know what it feels like to lose fish and it leaves the tank unsatisfying to look at, like it's lost its feeling it gave you, but that is when a new door opens. I got that feeling back in there. Picked up my ultimate goal fish! A green mandarin, blue spotted jawfish, and a flame angel. I am happy again to wake up and care for those guys everyday and my smile is back and most of all. My tank is back for now.
Maybe Blake's Aqua Den in CT or Tropic Isle in Framingham MA may have one. Blake's had a beautiful Marine Betta a few weeks ago. Don't know if you would ever consider one of them, but they can live really long. Heard up to at least 35 years!

IMG_20170302_084242.jpg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffy and I send our condolences.
I am in MA. I will keep an eye out for you on my travels for a frogfish for you. Also a Puffer. Not to replace your beloved Doggo, but to give maybe another awesome fish a new home, because you are setup for it.
Honestly I don't know what I would do if I lost Puffy. It has been 4+ years of having him. Everyday he makes me smile and my roommate. We always say,"we love our other fish, but nothing can compare to Puffy." I have lost a few fish in the past 2 years. Losing my Swissguard basslet killed me, then seeing my clown fish swimming around looking for him everyday was heartbreaking. Then my spotted mandarin died shortly after. The tank got hit hard with velvet and brook at the same time. So I know what it feels like to lose fish and it leaves the tank unsatisfying to look at, like it's lost its feeling it gave you, but that is when a new door opens. I got that feeling back in there. Picked up my ultimate goal fish! A green mandarin, blue spotted jawfish, and a flame angel. I am happy again to wake up and care for those guys everyday and my smile is back and most of all. My tank is back for now.
Maybe Blake's Aqua Den in CT or Tropic Isle in Framingham MA may have one. Blake's had a beautiful Marine Betta a few weeks ago. Don't know if you would ever consider one of them, but they can live really long. Heard up to at least 35 years!

IMG_20170302_084242.jpg
I bought my Lion at tropical isle. Make sure you QT (if you believe in it). I don't think Tropical Isle is that clean.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Lion at tropical isle. Make sure you QT (if you believe in it). I don't think Tropical Isle is that clean.
Got my Swissguard, blue spotted jawfish, Carberryi Anthias, tailspot blenny, green mandarin, and dwarf flame angel all at Tropic Isle and I don't QT.
When I talked to a couple workers there. They said they copper treat the right side. How much truth to that idk. Also if the fish isn't in there long enough. It makes no difference.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back