My purple scale fairy wrasse wont stop bothering my helfrichi firefish

Elliotjj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, first post here. New to the hobby and did not start my tank in the traditional method at all. I got my stuff used and some live rock to sort of "jump start" my tank. It has been running for a little over a month now. I started off by adding CUC first, huge fan of the sand sifting snails, and then one engineer goby, waited a week and a half then got a pair of clowns. waited some time then added a second engineer which paired perfectly with the original. I also got a peppermint shrimp which loves to hangout in the goby cave. I noticed some bristle worms at night so I decided to add a wrasse to help control that. (I also have some corals that were given to me that have been living for about 3 weeks now just fine). Everything was doing great and then about 2 days ago I added a blue hippo tang and a helfrichi firefish. The tang gets along great with everything but its just a little shy. However when I put the firefish in to temp acclimate the wrasse was instantly checking him out and kind of pecking at the bag. I tried to shoo the wrasse away with a net to send it the message not to do that, but when I added the firefish after acclimation the wrasse was all over him. Following him and chasing him everywhere. It was kind of crazy to see them practically teleport around the tank but the firefish wont come out of hiding. I've seen him in a two different spots but have not been able to find him since yesterday. I have a tank cover so I am not worried about him jumping, but what can I do to stop the wrasse from doing this? The wrasse is perfectly fine with every other fish and the firefish didn't do anything to upset it. I've read that tapping a mirror to the side of the glass could help distract the aggressive fish and keep it occupied. I'd hate to have to get rid of one of them but would most likely be the wrasse if so.

P.S. The firefish hid in the goby cave for a bit with them, not sure if that's helpful information but forgot to mention it.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are timid all the time...and beautiful for that split second they dart out of a hole to eat and then back into the hole. The other fish will intimidate the firefish until it won't come out at all. I had one and it just disappeared.

You introduced a hippo tang so I'm assuming you have a tank over 125g...which is the smallest size recommended for a hippo tang. I would think in a tank that big or bigger the firefish could find a place that the other fish wouldn't bother him too much. But if it's a small tank, then the firefish will probably hide away constantly.

OP
OP
E

Elliotjj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish are timid all the time...and beautiful for that split second they dart out of a hole to eat and then back into the hole. The other fish will intimidate the firefish until it won't come out at all. I had one and it just disappeared.

You introduced a hippo tang so I'm assuming you have a tank over 125g...which is the smallest size recommended for a hippo tang. I would think in a tank that big or bigger the firefish could find a place that the other fish wouldn't bother him too much. But if it's a small tank, then the firefish will probably hide away constantly.
I actually only have a 55 gallon. The tang is still very small and I plan on upgrading in a few months and the deal at the LFS couldn't wait for the upgrade. I also have a buddy that could take him if need be for a while if he gets too big before I upgrade. About the firefish, I have found him and he is currently laying in the goby cave breathing normal. I know wrasses can be somewhat aggressive however it doesn't show any towards any other fish. Is there a reason for this or a way I could stop it without removing one of the two? It has only been about two days and I know it will take time for him to get used to the tank so I am not too worried at the moment but is there anything I should be preparing for? Like the mirror thing I mentioned above?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually only have a 55 gallon. The tang is still very small and I plan on upgrading in a few months and the deal at the LFS couldn't wait for the upgrade. I also have a buddy that could take him if need be for a while if he gets too big before I upgrade. About the firefish, I have found him and he is currently laying in the goby cave breathing normal. I know wrasses can be somewhat aggressive however it doesn't show any towards any other fish. Is there a reason for this or a way I could stop it without removing one of the two? It has only been about two days and I know it will take time for him to get used to the tank so I am not too worried at the moment but is there anything I should be preparing for? Like the mirror thing I mentioned above?
My leopard wrassed pestered my firefish endlessly. I couldn't find a way to stop the tormenting. Eventually I noticed my firefish had a small injury on its jaw, but it was hard to see in its rock hole. I assume the leopard was able to get ahold of it somehow. But, it resulted in the firefish disappearing in the rocks never to be seen again.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no real way to stop it. You could try keeping one in a breeder box/net or try rearranging the tank (something about having to reestablish territory can lessen aggression), but these are usually only temporary (if they work at all). Is the wrasse the same color (or have some of the same colors) as the firefish? If so, that could be a reason why the wrasse is only after the firefish (also if its the fish closest in body shape). You may end up having to take one of them back to the lfs (definitely do this before the wrasse kills the firefish), you’ll just have to decide which one you want to keep.

OP
OP
E

Elliotjj3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no real way to stop it. You could try keeping one in a breeder box/net or try rearranging the tank (something about having to reestablish territory can lessen aggression), but these are usually only temporary (if they work at all). Is the wrasse the same color (or have some of the same colors) as the firefish? If so, that could be a reason why the wrasse is only after the firefish (also if its the fish closest in body shape). You may end up having to take one of them back to the lfs (definitely do this before the wrasse kills the firefish), you’ll just have to decide which one you want to keep.
The firefish a very different color, however it has been a few days now and they seem to be fine. The wrasse doesn't seem to care for the firefish as much and the firefish feels more comfortable coming out from time to time. Thanks for the response!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back