My qt so far. What do you think?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. A few months ago in November I started a new 30 g qt tank. Had no meds in it. Added 4 chromis. All looked well. After a few weeks got a silver belly wrasse. After a few weeks everyone was doing well no meds. I had put in an order at the lfs for a hippo tang and flame angel. Got them mid December. Added. Hippo started flashing right away 2 days later showed ich. No biggy started coppersafe 2.0ppm plus. Did this for 30 days. No ich everyone looks great. Did water changes to remove the copper. Than did two prazipro treatments as reccomended. No issues. Did a few water changes. Now has been over a week since all those have been done. Everyone looks great. So with my procedure how much longer should I leave them in qt? I plan on introducing each species slowly to the display so the bio load stays healthy

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all these fish in the quarantine tank at the same time? It sounds like you had chromis in there for 3 weeks, then added a wrasse then added more fish a few weeks later?

The procedure for copper/prazipro sounds correct. But if you're worried about your bio-load in the main tank, then just quarantine one group at a time. But, the bio-load in the QT is tremendous!

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all these fish in the quarantine tank at the same time? It sounds like you had chromis in there for 3 weeks, then added a wrasse then added more fish a few weeks later?

The procedure for copper/prazipro sounds correct. But if you're worried about your bio-load in the main tank, then just quarantine one group at a time. But, the bio-load in the QT is tremendous!
It’s been perfectly fine it’s a cycled at tank full of live rock added fritz zyme 9 at the beginning. This amount of fish was never the plan but it happened and never lost a fish. But the question is when do you think I can start adding to the display

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been perfectly fine it’s a cycled at tank full of live rock added fritz zyme 9 at the beginning. This amount of fish was never the plan but it happened and never lost a fish. But the question is when do you think I can start adding to the display
Once your treatments are all completed, you can start adding them to your display tank. Most like to watch the fish for another week or 2 post-treatments to ensure nothing showing up.

If it's a really new tank, then maybe add a couple at a time every couple of weeks. Or, just add some additional nitrifying bottled bacteria to the main tank, shut off the skimmer and UV (if running this) and a couple days later add all the fish at one time so they all adapt to their new surroundings together... they've been in a tank all together so far, so aggression shouldn't be an issue.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree my new display is not ready for this bio load. I get paranoid that I would miss something. Today I was able to get kanaplex in. Canada and am going to wait as I think my hippo tang has a bacterial infection. I’m no rush thanks

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 120 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 30.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 74 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 16.6%
  • Other

Votes: 61 29.8%
Back