My Question of the Day: Does Flying and the Atmospheric pressure effect coral frags and fish?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bring this up because I have had corals and fish shipped to me, and I have driven several hundred miles to pick up both as well. I have noticed that when I drive several hundred miles, or to be specific, 600 actual miles to pick up fish and frags, when I return and either add them to my tank for frags, or a QT tank for fish, I noticed that they either had far better color or recovered so much quicker. I have received corals from several vendors, and I am very picky on who I purchase from, and also have purchased corals from most the same vendors at Macna Orlando and Reefapolooza Orlando, and for the most part, the corals from Orlando just looked far better from the start. A few months ago, I drove down to Orlando to @TopShelfAquatics to pick up a Achilles tang, and the same, it recovered and was eating in a copper QT tank in a few hours. Now, I will give a little more leeway on fish as I have received several orders from @tsmaquatics and those fish were extremely lively and ate from the start as soon as they were introduced in my DT, BUT, I have had a ton of orders in the past from other vendors and the fish looked far far worse. So I am not sure how the flying effects the fish. I have noticed that coral frags are more effected by the flight, and thus, brown out. It may take a few weeks or months for them to recover.

So is it the way they are packaged, Temp fluctuations, or the atmosphere when flying that causes these issue?

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm inclined to think that the amount of time spent in shipping and temperature fluctuations probably have the most impact. Too hot, too cold - or just plain sitting for an indefinite period of time waiting for the next connecting flight.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back