20211023_141338.jpg

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome man.

hoping to snag some live rock for my birthday just in time for my tank getting wet. It’ll only be 20lbs or so with the rest being dry rock (aquascaping). But I figure even that small of an amount will do wonders for biodiversity.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking awesome man.

hoping to snag some live rock for my birthday just in time for my tank getting wet. It’ll only be 20lbs or so with the rest being dry rock (aquascaping). But I figure even that small of an amount will do wonders for biodiversity.

Anything helps! You will probably have some ugly phase on the dry stuff but the liverock (assuming you get aquacultured or mature stuff) should not see any of that nasty stuff for very long. Good luck!

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything helps! You will probably have some ugly phase on the dry stuff but the liverock (assuming you get aquacultured or mature stuff) should not see any of that nasty stuff for very long. Good luck!

yeah I’m expecting uglies. Which is fine. More concerned with getting the microfauna expanded in my system. And yeah it’ll be ocean fresh. Going with deco live rock from gulf live rock.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I’m expecting uglies. Which is fine. More concerned with getting the microfauna expanded in my system. And yeah it’ll be ocean fresh. Going with deco live rock from gulf live rock.

Post some pics on here of that gulf rock when you get it. I've ordered from the old TBS a couple of times and most recently the FL keys liverock from KP aquatics. I would personally recommend the keys rock over any gulf rock i have ever received.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the rules I have always broken are never QTing, no testing, using ocean rock, allowing "pests" to live happily in coexistence with my reef, no dosing, no chemicals besides prime, no filtration additives besides carbon about once every few months to clear the water, and others I am sure.

My general philosophy in reefing has always been to create as natural an ecosystem as possible. I see the tank as the ocean, the refugium as the estuary, and the skimmer as the beach. I allow all life to live and thrive in my tank in order to fill its natural niche in my tank. I believe even things such as red planaria play a vital role in my system. By allowing everything to thrive in my tank just one thing will never take it over. Checks and balances.
I do exactly like this except I don't use Prime or Carbon and I dose calc and alk.
@Paul B im going to grab some mud in our local estuary this weekend during a fishing trip. Any advice? Thanks!
Mud is great. If you can find some flat rocks or wood in the intertidal zone you will find much more life. Just don't take it if it smells and is black

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do exactly like this except I don't use Prime or Carbon and I dose calc and alk.

Mud is great. If you can find some flat rocks or wood in the intertidal zone you will find much more life. Just don't take it if it smells and is black

Hey @Paul B, ill try a little chunk of rock or wood for sure!

About the Prime. I keep it on hand in case of an emergency or if I wash tank equipment in tap water I treat that water with prime. I absolutely do not dose it or ad it to my aquarium regularly.

Carbon is only used to clear the water every couple of months or if I use epoxy and glue to attach frags. Idk if it makes a difference but I like to think that it will pull out some chemicals from the adhesives.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post some pics on here of that gulf rock when you get it. I've ordered from the old TBS a couple of times and most recently the FL keys liverock from KP aquatics. I would personally recommend the keys rock over any gulf rock i have ever received.

will do. Going with gulf live rock as I’m trying to get it before it gets too cold to ship and they’re the only ones with it in stock

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is only used to clear the water every couple of months or if I use epoxy and glue to attach frags.
I used it for years but then figured it removed to many things that I wanted to keep and it is supposed to be a main cause of HLLE according to some. I am still on the fence about that though.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought their premium stuff and it was very nice

i believe it. Going to place an order for 30 lbs after work tonight. Just need to figure out the whole airfreight thing. Definitely want as much life as possible

jx fang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the rules I have always broken are never QTing, no testing, using ocean rock, allowing "pests" to live happily in coexistence with my reef, no dosing, no chemicals besides prime, no filtration additives besides carbon about once every few months to clear the water, and others I am sure.

My general philosophy in reefing has always been to create as natural an ecosystem as possible. I see the tank as the ocean, the refugium as the estuary, and the skimmer as the beach. I allow all life to live and thrive in my tank in order to fill its natural niche in my tank. I believe even things such as red planaria play a vital role in my system. By allowing everything to thrive in my tank just one thing will never take it over. Checks and balances.

Tank looks great.
Ultra low maintenance is the way to go.
Not fan of all those fancy gears too.

And thanks for this fantastic statement.
For a tank with mainly soft corals and 2 damsels.
There is no need to QT, no testing and no dosing.

Others that have more stony corals and more sensitive fishes.
Always remember to test and dose and most importantly quarantine your fishes.

jx

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great.
Ultra low maintenance is the way to go.
Not fan of all those fancy gears too.

And thanks for this fantastic statement.
For a tank with mainly soft corals and 2 damsels.
There is no need to QT, no testing and no dosing.

Others that have more stony corals and more sensitive fishes.
Always remember to test and dose and most importantly quarantine your fishes.

jx

Thanks.

IMHO QT is entirely over rated and most ppl (i would argue) who do it probably don't do so rigorously enough to actually keep pathogens from their tanks.

OP
OP
Sump Crab

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick tank update. Removed my vortech mp10 and switched to two return pumps rather than one. Great flow and anemone safe for my new RBTA! Also added an azure damselfish. What a stunner! Tank is progressing beautifully!
20220101_125834.jpg
20220101_125845.jpg
20211230_120457.jpg
20211230_120417.jpg
20211229_153605.jpg

Back