My Red Sea MAX S-650 Build with PICs

Ray's-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
My name is Ray. Last time I owned a small reef tank was about 10 years ago and I am back now. I have been doing research and things have really moved on.. I recently bought a used Red Sea s-max 650. This thing is a beast. I am not to keen on the sump so I have replaced it. I am currently working on my aquascape with TMC eco rock.

I plan to use two Chaeto sandwiches using the egg crate. I have alfagrog beneath them to catch any stray deritus. I am not sure which part in the sump to place my heaters though. I might remove the alfagrog and just have a egg crate stand to mount the heaters beneath and have the chaeto on top

From the return pump I am using 25mm 1" pipe. My return pump is 6000lph

The equipment I currently have to build my system
-TMC XXL sump
-Deltec SC 1456 Skimmer
-2 x 200w Eheim Jager heaters
-TMC 6000 lph return pump
-Small LED Refugium light
-TMC V2 Vecton UV
- 2 x Maxspect 350 pumps with controller
-TMC ligthting system that I put together
-7 x Biohome bricks for my bio filtration

I wanted something a little different with the aquascape. I think I got a bit carried away with the putty...

Light6.jpg Light2.jpg IMG_20201012_131420.jpg IMG_20201012_131005.jpg IMG_20201012_130936.jpg IMG_20201012_121433.jpg IMG_20201012_121422.jpg IMG_20201012_121232.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start Ray and Welcome to R2R!!!

Ive got a 4 1/2 year old S650 mixed reef so if you need any help just let me know

The sump redesign is probably much better, I keep meaning to buy another one and re arrange it, in particular install an X Filter 1 or 1.7 into it like in my big tank.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back Ray!!

OP
OP
Ray's-Reef

Ray's-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start Ray and Welcome to R2R!!!

Ive got a 4 1/2 year old S650 mixed reef so if you need any help just let me know

The sump redesign is probably much better, I keep meaning to buy another one and re arrange it, in particular install an X Filter 1 or 1.7 into it like in my big tank.

Hi Shaun, I just had a look at your link and your tank looks amazing... I am sure I will have a few questions on the S-650 system. I was thinking of incorporating a roller mat filter in my sump but with the filter sock system in my sump it would of been a little difficult for it drain from the socks.

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Shaun, I just had a look at your link and your tank looks amazing... I am sure I will have a few questions on the S-650 system. I was thinking of incorporating a roller mat filter in my sump but with the filter sock system in my sump it would of been a little difficult for it drain from the socks.
Thanks Ray

It would be well worth thinking about altering the socks section before you get it all ’wet and smelly’ because with the X Filter, even in my large tank the last roll lasted 3 months before it needed changing. As opposed to changing the socks in the S650 every 4 days or so. The X Filter is better than the Clarisea as well and easier to install. I’ve had both fitted in the big tank, before sending the clarisea back.

If you can’t alter it, there’s nothing wrong with socks though, so go for it, they work. I use the red sea mesh 225 micron ones and have around 10 and just put them in the washing machine when there nearly used up, every month or so. Just plain water for a couple of hours is fine.

It looks like the rear circulation pumps are missing and nozzles so it’s worth sealing those holes up to stop anything getting through to the rear chamber. I’m assuming the flow is from the maxspect pumps?

Those rear circulation pumps, or rather the cleaning of them, used to drive me insane getting them out. I only did when one stopped working every year or so! Lol. I have 2 MP40’s now controlled by Apex from the big tank and it’s a delight to clean them.

Anyway keep the pictures coming!

OP
OP
Ray's-Reef

Ray's-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ray

It would be well worth thinking about altering the socks section before you get it all ’wet and smelly’ because with the X Filter, even in my large tank the last roll lasted 3 months before it needed changing. As opposed to changing the socks in the S650 every 4 days or so. The X Filter is better than the Clarisea as well and easier to install. I’ve had both fitted in the big tank, before sending the clarisea back.

If you can’t alter it, there’s nothing wrong with socks though, so go for it, they work. I use the red sea mesh 225 micron ones and have around 10 and just put them in the washing machine when there nearly used up, every month or so. Just plain water for a couple of hours is fine.

It looks like the rear circulation pumps are missing and nozzles so it’s worth sealing those holes up to stop anything getting through to the rear chamber. I’m assuming the flow is from the maxspect pumps?

Those rear circulation pumps, or rather the cleaning of them, used to drive me insane getting them out. I only did when one stopped working every year or so! Lol. I have 2 MP40’s now controlled by Apex from the big tank and it’s a delight to clean them.

Anyway keep the pictures coming!

Hi Shaun,

I think I will run the socks for a few months and see how I get on. I am sure I will want to change up a few things in a few months time. I have about 6 x 150 micron socks. Some small and large.

The tank looks a bit shabby, But is complete with doors, trim etc..
I got rid of the 4 pumps and kept the 4 nozzles. That's the reason I got rid of them. Looked like a nightmare job to clean. Yes the 2 maxspect Gyres will be for circulation.

I remember 10+ years ago when I had my 3ft tank with a red sea prizm skimmer, maxijet1200 powerhead and a interpet cannister filter with sand and live rock. I had a few clowns, Yellow Tang, Regal Tang. and 3 x T8s. Only coral that survived was pulsing Xenia. I have learnt a bit more now so hopefully I will have more success.

I have had the tank for about 6 months now and the missus keeps asking whats that big tank for!! I just need to convince her that her large shabby chic bookshelf will be replaced soon with the 650 system..

I was originally going to set up a Fluval Osaka 2ft tropical system but decided nah I want bigger..

I am going Bare bottom on the tank and installed some 3mm pinseal ABS plastic sheets. After the initial cycling of the bare bottom I think maintaining it will be a lot easier for me and I actually like the look of a bare bottom tank.

I am receiving a few more goodies soon so will upload PICs and progress

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ray's-Reef

Ray's-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with a bottomless tank and wanted minimum contact with the scape to the bottom. Does actually look a lot better than in the pictures

IMG_20201017_125153.jpg

OP
OP
Ray's-Reef

Ray's-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the plumbing on the sump is finished. Just need to tidy up the wiring and then I will start on the tank. Never used one of these Gyre pumps before so might try them out tomorrow. Also need to change the Return and the UV green hoses to black ones.

Master.jpg Max.jpg

OP
OP
Ray's-Reef

Ray's-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed the old irrigation manifold and made my own. I contacted TMC and they sent me a free hard pipe adaptor for the UV so all installed. I didn't like the irrigation manifold as it went from 32mm to 25mm. All 32mm now.

IMG_20201029_134102.jpg

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just organizing the 32mm and 40mm drains.

mmmmmm.jpg
Good job, and that’s basically what I’m going to do when the X Filter 1.7’s come back into stock as I’m going to install one

I think Im correct in saying the main downpipe is 40mm and the emergency overflow 32mm looking at yours and mine ?

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build. I have the Waterbox 5526 peninsula which is similar in size (180 gallon system). I continue to use the filter socks which have worked well for me. The Waterbox sump has 4 filter sock holders so it performs well. Great to have you here!

OP
OP
Ray's-Reef

Ray's-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job, and that’s basically what I’m going to do when the X Filter 1.7’s come back into stock as I’m going to install one

I think Im correct in saying the main downpipe is 40mm and the emergency overflow 32mm looking at yours and mine ?

Thanks. Yes the main is 40mm and the emergency is 32mm

OP
OP
Ray's-Reef

Ray's-Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both bulkheads on my sump are 40mm. You will notice a 40mm-32mm reducer on the emergency line near the ball valve which allows me to use the 32mm pipe

Back