My red sea reefer 170 build (existing tank!!)

vinz4u

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,

I'm new to reef2reef but have been smitten by the reef hobby for 2 years now. It all started with a used red sea reefer 170. I got it for a good deal and started my journey since Nov 2020. It was a struggle at first. I was used to a fw tank but saltwater was another story. Started to watch a lot of brs videos and other similar reefers on YT and was awed by the tanks. Wanted to get mine close to all the beautiful tanks I saw online. Slowly and steadily started the build, did a few mistakes here and there but learnt a lot. What I have learnt as every reefer would agree is patience is everything in this hobby. I have been a silent lurker on the community and never really posted anything. So here is my first real thread discussing my tank.

Tank: Red sea reefer 170
Return: orlushy dc 5000 ( I know cheaped out on the return, but has been going strong for over a year now. Had a jebao before)
Klir di 4 with custom 3d printed mount on the sock area (works amazing despite a lot of hate online. My rolls last for 3 months. Have quite a bio load, you will see!)
Brs gfo and carbon reactor with Sicce pump
Small sump refugium with mangroves. (no cheato) run on JBL led lamp
Red sea skimmer- a little big for my sump but does really well. Really like the large skim container.
Two duetto ato's for redundancy
Neptune Apex el with afs
Trident ( just added thanks to a community member)
Manual dosing currently using all for reef liquid.
Automated mysis slurry feed using a custom small refrigerator with a kamoer x2 pro pump.
Red sea RS90 led
Two 200w brs titanium heaters (1 redundant)
Brs CO2 scrubber
Lot of automation using kasa and gosund power strips with Google integration. On top of Apex. (I know I'm crazy! I had to be away from my tank for 3 months so had fully automated every aspect of the tank. Lost only one fish, a sleeper goby as he was always a pig, probably ate a lot than he could handle)
Automated rodi refills
Automated water changes using standard pumps using the previously described kasa automation)

20 lbs of Carib sea rock and sand
Have 2 breeding clowns, a firefish, 2 breeding banngai cardinals, a diamond goby messing up my layout all the time, a tiny bristetooth tang and a tiny Naso tang to help with gha. (but they only love nori! ), a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, 2 porcelain crabs, a ton of hermits and snails. Also have a few lps, a couple of RBTA,

PS: for the tang police, I am getting a 200gallon peninsula soon.

If I have mistyped anything or for any clarification do reach out! This is my first official post so go easy on me!

PXL_20220508_211114578.jpg PXL_20220521_032039034.jpg PXL_20220505_214125877.jpg PXL_20220505_221020585.jpg PXL_20220521_033737329.jpg

NaCl addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I'm new to reef2reef but have been smitten by the reef hobby for 2 years now. It all started with a used red sea reefer 170. I got it for a good deal and started my journey since Nov 2020. It was a struggle at first. I was used to a fw tank but saltwater was another story. Started to watch a lot of brs videos and other similar reefers on YT and was awed by the tanks. Wanted to get mine close to all the beautiful tanks I saw online. Slowly and steadily started the build, did a few mistakes here and there but learnt a lot. What I have learnt as every reefer would agree is patience is everything in this hobby. I have been a silent lurker on the community and never really posted anything. So here is my first real thread discussing my tank.

Tank: Red sea reefer 170
Return: orlushy dc 5000 ( I know cheaped out on the return, but has been going strong for over a year now. Had a jebao before)
Klir di 4 with custom 3d printed mount on the sock area (works amazing despite a lot of hate online. My rolls last for 3 months. Have quite a bio load, you will see!)
Brs gfo and carbon reactor with Sicce pump
Small sump refugium with mangroves. (no cheato) run on JBL led lamp
Red sea skimmer- a little big for my sump but does really well. Really like the large skim container.
Two duetto ato's for redundancy
Neptune Apex el with afs
Trident ( just added thanks to a community member)
Manual dosing currently using all for reef liquid.
Automated mysis slurry feed using a custom small refrigerator with a kamoer x2 pro pump.
Red sea RS90 led
Two 200w brs titanium heaters (1 redundant)
Brs CO2 scrubber
Lot of automation using kasa and gosund power strips with Google integration. On top of Apex. (I know I'm crazy! I had to be away from my tank for 3 months so had fully automated every aspect of the tank. Lost only one fish, a sleeper goby as he was always a pig, probably ate a lot than he could handle)
Automated rodi refills
Automated water changes using standard pumps using the previously described kasa automation)

20 lbs of Carib sea rock and sand
Have 2 breeding clowns, a firefish, 2 breeding banngai cardinals, a diamond goby messing up my layout all the time, a tiny bristetooth tang and a tiny Naso tang to help with gha. (but they only love nori! ), a cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, 2 porcelain crabs, a ton of hermits and snails. Also have a few lps, a couple of RBTA,

PS: for the tang police, I am getting a 200gallon peninsula soon.

If I have mistyped anything or for any clarification do reach out! This is my first official post so go easy on me!

PXL_20220508_211114578.jpg PXL_20220521_032039034.jpg PXL_20220505_214125877.jpg PXL_20220505_221020585.jpg PXL_20220521_033737329.jpg
You started huge! My current and 1st reef tank is a 65gal.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • None.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back