My reef-pi build freshwater style!

Diamond1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does is go away if you do page refresh ? I am experiencing this as well . It’s a bug that was introduced in 2.2 , supposed to fix another bug :-(
No it still is doing the same thing. It's really odd because my second pi running my light is working as it should.

OP
OP
Bigtrout

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out how close these 2 temp sensors are tracking...on opposite ends of a 75 gallon. The green is ambient air temp.

And memory utilization holding steady in reef pi
Screenshot_20190126-142824_Chrome.jpg

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out how close these 2 temp sensors are tracking...on opposite ends of a 75 gallon. The green is ambient air temp.

And memory utilization holding steady in reef pi
Screenshot_20190126-142824_Chrome.jpg
I love looking at graphs :)

OP
OP
Bigtrout

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished a few things today, getting closer to having pwm for my lights but other stuff keeps getting in the way.

Made my harnesses from the Mike Lane hat pwm connectors to the dfrobot mosfet boards. Mounted my pH board inside my case and soldered in a connector to the reef pi board. Used the dip switches to give it an an i2c address of 45, ran i2c detect and see a 45. Drilled the case for my light cable connectors...only thing left is cabling into my lights!

OP
OP
Bigtrout

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabled into my lights timer connectors and I have reef pi controlling my lights! For now its a simple on off schedule because of the pwm frequency issues i have found, not being able to set pwm frwquency under 1000, is too fast for the mosfet modules I used, so any setting above 1 is ON.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabled into my lights timer connectors and I have reef pi controlling my lights! For now its a simple on off schedule because of the pwm frequency issues i have found, not being able to set pwm frwquency under 1000, is too fast for the mosfet modules I used, so any setting above 1 is ON.
I am controlling some mosfet based circuits using pi pwm , set at 150 hz frequency via reef-pi ui. I am yet test the same with pca9685

OP
OP
Bigtrout

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i tested reef pi pwm pins with my lights and it works @ 200hz but I need 4 channels for my lights

What did you have to enter in pwm freq settings to output a real 150hz?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i tested reef pi pwm pins with my lights and it works @ 200hz but I need 4 channels for my lights

What did you have to enter in pwm freq settings to output a real 150hz?
I don’t know what was real pwm frequency , I entered 150 via ui , and assumed that’s it. That what worked for me , frequency below 70 or above 1050 didn’t work. I am using p30n06le as logic level n channel power mosfet

OP
OP
Bigtrout

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok, i have been testing the real output frequency, with the strange results noted in main thread. These readings were taken directly from the pi pwm pins or the pca pwm pims

Im driving a module which uses an optoisolator to drive a p channel fet for my lights.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigtrout

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a build update, I planned on explaining how I did my light pwm, in case anyone else had a beamswork or finnex light for a planted tank(both are build with common cathode led arrays so require p channel mosfets), but have come to an impasse because of the pwm issues.

My choices from here:
Use existing hardware that I built and wait for working pwm drivers.

Use my existing hardware, change and recompile a one-off version of reef pi for myself making whatever pwm frequency i want to use the default freq in the pca9865 driver.

Build my own p channel fet modules that are fast enough to handle the 1500hz that the pca9865 pwm seems stuck at in reef pi, my current modules only handle 1000hz.

For now im using the pca9865 as a simple on-off, with the pwm frequency at 1500 being faster than my mosfet modules can handle, any setting more than 1 in a slider is full on and 0 is off.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a build update, I planned on explaining how I did my light pwm, in case anyone else had a beamswork or finnex light for a planted tank(both are build with common cathode led arrays so require p channel mosfets), but have come to an impasse because of the pwm issues.

My choices from here:
Use existing hardware that I built and wait for working pwm drivers.

Use my existing hardware, change and recompile a one-off version of reef pi for myself making whatever pwm frequency i want to use the default freq in the pca9865 driver.

Build my own p channel fet modules that are fast enough to handle the 1500hz that the pca9865 pwm seems stuck at in reef pi, my current modules only handle 1000hz.

For now im using the pca9865 as a simple on-off, with the pwm frequency at 1500 being faster than my mosfet modules can handle, any setting more than 1 in a slider is full on and 0 is off.
That will be awesome . If I understand correctly you are blocked on the pwm frequency bug in reef-pi? We have some patches merged recently , but I was not able to successfully test it out (oscilloscope still showing same frequency even after changing it via ui). I’ll continue debug this and update you accordingly. Thanks for being patient , we’ll get this chicken soon

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will be awesome . If I understand correctly you are blocked on the pwm frequency bug in reef-pi? We have some patches merged recently , but I was not able to successfully test it out (oscilloscope still showing same frequency even after changing it via ui). I’ll continue debug this and update you accordingly. Thanks for being patient , we’ll get this chicken soon

@Ranjib - I'm quite intrigued by this "chicken"! Got any pics? Lol

OP
OP
Bigtrout

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes whats stopping me is not being able to set the pca9865 to anything lower than 1500hz.

Other than that reef pi has been working flawlessly for me, even thru a power outage or 2!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes whats stopping me is not being able to set the pca9865 to anything lower than 1500hz.

Other than that reef pi has been working flawlessly for me, even thru a power outage or 2!
Yesterday night I tested my pca9685 test build and it was showing 230Hz across oscilloscope and multimeter

OP
OP
Bigtrout

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In other news, I mounted my enclosure under my stand, reef pi is now officially controlling everything, lights, filters, heaters and soon will have a ph monitor.
I set timers to shut down each of my canisters once a day for 1 minute to clear and bubbles, and it also seems to stir the tank a bit and move some detritus that may be stuck in the bottom.

I also did my weekly plant trimming...in one week it gets to be a jungle...here are before and after pics:

Before trimming
20190210_113001.jpg

After trimming
20190210_133117.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back