OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the temp running without a heatsink. I had one burn up on me getting too hot.

Great looking solder joints!!

Thanks for letting me know. I will keep an eye just in case. I solder everyday do everything from through hole to LGA and BGA, TSOP and VSOP. And package sizes as small as 0201. 0201 is such a pain though. I do deal with 0805 and 0603 packages almost daily though. I can hand solder those with a soldering iron.

Looking like progress is being made! The pi3b+ was redesigned from the 3b to run cooler. You may not even need the heatsink. From Raspbian, you can put the processor temp tool in your toolbar.

Thanks for letting me know that I will be sure to use that tool!

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for letting me know. I will keep an eye just in case. I solder everyday do everything from through hole to LGA and BGA, TSOP and VSOP. And package sizes as small as 0201. 0201 is such a pain though. I do deal with 0805 and 0603 packages almost daily though. I can hand solder those with a soldering iron.

Thanks for letting me know that I will be sure to use that tool!
I'm running my 3b+ with no heat sinks or fan, runs at about 50*C.
It is in an open face box though in a house cooled to 75*

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More progress being made.

F750DCB9-99E2-481F-9698-04A87EE4B461.jpeg

89250B94-F7A2-4369-83B2-1B565277E1EC.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s basically done. Need to add a way to keep the lid closed and replace the relay board. But it will work for testing purposes

I had a pin that wasn’t showing connectivity so I pulled out the pins and found out the through hole wasn’t plated. You can see I bypassed that hole and soldered directly to the led. That’s the nearest component for that particular hole.

Anyway definitely not pretty but I didn’t want to spend the money to make a nice acrylic box when you are never gonna see it. So quick simple ugly Functional!

Anyway if anyone wants to have a quick look at my wiring and make sure my mind didn’t play tricks on me that would be great!!

Oh and if I add more outlets at a later date I will be using stranded wire instead of solid

D6764325-994D-46E6-AE81-129EA23C4EEE.jpeg

354B9456-1F2A-4A3C-AEB1-6007B979A94B.jpeg

03853D0B-C077-4F89-B548-79D8FA85BD15.jpeg

buddy.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! I am thinking of just making a box for my outlets instead of buying the ABS ones too... should save a lot of costs.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it.
What kind of sockets are you using? Are they tamper resistant?

Thanks man and yes they are 15a residential tamper resistant. I liked the flat front and that is ultimately what drove me to get them.

Nice work! Looks easy soldering the jumpers and components when the picture is blown up like that... I'm much more used to 2 ga wire than 22 ga! Yours is much prettier!

20181211_090718.jpg

Good lord I couldn’t imagine working with 2 gauge. Or the amount of juice that runs through that size of wire. But thank you.

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man and yes they are 15a residential tamper resistant. I liked the flat front and that is ultimately what drove me to get them.

Good lord I couldn’t imagine working with 2 gauge. Or the amount of juice that runs through that size of wire. But thank you.
The equipment I work on runs on 480V 100 amp service. Obviously not all of it is 2 ga but my comment was about how tiny these circuits are and how difficult it is for me working with these smaller jumpers. :D

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The equipment I work on runs on 480V 100 amp service. Obviously not all of it is 2 ga but my comment was about how tiny these circuits are and how difficult it is for me working with these smaller jumpers. :D

Yip I work on the complete other end of the spectrum.

9291875A-EEB7-40AE-91FE-0792D40D318D.jpeg

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok excuse my horrible mark up job. But if wanting to run two temp sensors you just connect the additional temp sensor in series? Like the pic I left the red and black wire out. But the signal(yellow) can just plug in right behind the first one in this picture correct?

E49704DA-37F5-454C-AF04-986D20E39D32.jpeg

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok excuse my horrible mark up job. But if wanting to run two temp sensors you just connect the additional temp sensor in series? Like the pic I left the red and black wire out. But the signal(yellow) can just plug in right behind the first one in this picture correct?

E49704DA-37F5-454C-AF04-986D20E39D32.jpeg
That is correct. You can hook up numerous temp sensors in this way.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys question here about connecting remotely. I change my host name to
Reef-Pi.

I have to find out what IP I am connecting to the internet with not my local. And then I would type that up address into a browser bar?

How do I configure what port to use on the PI?

I can connect to the pi as long as I am on the same network by using
http://reef-pi.local that works

ScottBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-Pi.

I have to find out what IP I am connecting to the internet with not my local. And then I would type that up address into a browser bar?

lol is there a terminal command to reset reef-pi to default settings. I messed with something and now I cannot access it on my Raspberry pi.

Sorry , I'm not able to confidently help with either question. See if @Ranjib can help.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol is there a terminal command to reset reef-pi to default settings. I messed with something and now I cannot access it on my Raspberry pi.
you can stop reef-pi, delete the database and start again, that will reset everything (including all configuration). https://reef-pi.github.io/guides/troubleshooting/ , under resetting reef-pi.
But you can always find out exactly how to access reef-pi from the log, particularly when reef-pi start. So you can issue a restart command and look out for this log.
Restart and watch log:
Code:
sudo systemctl restart reef-pi.service
sudo journalctl -fu reef-pi.service
check for this specific pattern
Code:
2018/12/12 16:31:09 Starting http server at: 0.0.0.0:8080
so.. three things to note here, http or https, and the port (8080 here). you can use the exact information (0.0.0.0 means reef-pi is listening to the raspberry pi ip, whatever it is)
http://<ip>:8080.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef-Pi.

we need more details. How you are accessing reef-pi remotely? VNC or portforwarding or something else?

OP
OP
J

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we need more details. How you are accessing reef-pi remotely? VNC or portforwarding or something else?

Thanks for all the other Info on my way home can’t wait to get all pi’d Up....lol.

Ok enough of that. So before I screwed it up I was using VNC but after reading through a couple posts I would like to connect directly without using a 3rd party program like VNC. I hope that answers your qustion.

Back