My Reefbot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I wanted to post my journey with my reefbot. Thus far, it has been great to use as an automated system to check the parameters of my tank. Being that it is an early adoption model, I guess there are some kinks to workout along the way.

OP
OP
S

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Currently, there is a support channel on the app, but it hard to determine when a rep will respond. I wish there was an alert to notify an end-user when they can communicate live with support.

OP
OP
S

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I wanted to ask the reefbot community if they have noticed the end-caps being scraped from the needle during testing.

endcaps.jpg

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So beginning some research on the Reefbot.
My question is how does the unit handle the reagents?
It looks like the vials of reagents just sit there in the track, the syringe moves back and forth.
Using the API test kit for Nitrate as the example, the part two reagent needs to be vigorously shaken for thirty seconds for an accurate test. If the reagent vials are locked in place then how can it (They) be shaken if required?

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So beginning some research on the Reefbot.
My question is how does the unit handle the reagents?
It looks like the vials of reagents just sit there in the track, the syringe moves back and forth.
Using the API test kit for Nitrate as the example, the part two reagent needs to be vigorously shaken for thirty seconds for an accurate test. If the reagent vials are locked in place then how can it (They) be shaken if required?

There is a magnet stirrer inside the reagent vial which stirs the reagent.

OP
OP
S

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My review of the reefbot.

I find the testing to be pretty consistent. Considering it is "robotic" the chance for human error is minimized.

When considering the Reefbot vs. other testing options: <kind of like Apple vs. Android>

Reefbot:
- to certain extent an "open" platform. I get to choose which elements and when to test.
- however, being that it is an "open" platform there are some "kinks" you may encounter along the way with the operation of the reefbot. <it can be more hands-on - so to speak at the beginning stages till you understand "how" to operate it>

Understanding the lifecycle of a tank for a reefer - with the frequency being higher at the beginning
- 1st phase: may want to test more frequently (copper, nitrate, nitrate, etc....)
- 2nd phase: may want to dial in your alk, calc, and mag
- 3rd phase: 2nd phase and phosphate and nitrates

The reefbot allows me to adjust the type and frequency of testing based on the "lifecycle" of the tank. Yes, it does need to expand the range of tests of different elements, but it is a good start for now.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Are you still using this product? My question is, i purchased one from someone on this forum so it was slightly used, however I can’t find the user manual. So I’m trying to install from scratch, which isn’t bad so far. One thing I can’t find though is the tubing connections seem to be hooked up to a very flexible small sized tubing which I can’t seem to find anywhere. So I’m stuck at the moment. Any ideas what would work and if I can simply remove this flexible tubing and use my own Lowe’s brand rigid tubing. It’s definitely slightly bigger tubing.

Also what test kits have you been using, I’ve purchased Red Sea Phosphate and Alkalinity and Tropic Nitrate/nitrite.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
These are the connections I was referring to, what size tubing is needed and where can I get it. The smallest Lowe’s has is bigger than this.

4D795657-665F-4F89-822A-40F1D2D80E89.jpeg

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
I bought mine used also it's been one headache after another first I couldn't connect to the machine via Wi-Fi or ethernet cable on the app indicate that I am connected however I was not. After a few emails which takes one day per email which they suggested I turned on and off the machine like 4 different email. They finally did sent me a link to rewrite my SD card. After that and a few emails(1per day)they somehow fixed it remotely with the ethernet cable connected to wifi modem. Now I try wifi again..same thing. So I had to use a wifi extension that has an ethernet port so I can move machine to my tank. Now I'm testing kind of...so Ive run 4 alkalinity test all which came back colors undetermined (which uses my regent) i did replace the regent and needle after the first undetermined test ..Also ran 2 phosphate tests which came back .03 which was pretty close. I've emailed with the alkalinity test issues and got a response that had a video on how to check your valves are clear. Mine were clear and responded back . It's been several days now and they can't tell me why I can't do an alkalinity test . I was really hoping this bot was going to perform. So far it's been a flop. Maybe someone @reefkinetics will help. Until then it's big and taking up space in my cabinet.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Hmm sounds like you have had a rough go at it Vinman. I have also purchased the alkatronic/dostronic and the Trident. I will have all 3 running to compare. Will also be comparing installation for all 3 as well. I just hope the Mastertronic comes out soon so i can have something similar to compare the reefbot tests to.

Anyways my question still stands, what is this tubing and where can i get it?

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
It’s been a pretty bumpy ride for me as well. I even modified my aquarium stand to accommodate getting the ReefBot to sit at the recommended space and height requirements for the sump. My unit was purchased new and when I opened it thebar that holds the Vials was bent. I was told to bend it back, which I did by using a considerable amount of force. Which was concerning because it must have taken some hit to bend in the first place. The. After a month of operation the tests started coming back with results that could not be interpreted. Found out one of the magnetic spinners was not functioning due to a cut cable in the track. That was fixed. Now test kits that once worked don’t return results and after tons of troubleshooting they want me to send it back. Which is fine but I have no box or anything so my brick just sits there. So far a complete waste of money and time.

B0312B41-F314-4AB5-8EC1-57792DB895AF.jpeg

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
I finally got the corrected chip in and still no luck, tests for ammonia coming back pink when manual tests all say 2ppm (dark green). I’ve tried 2 different testing methods and still not a single test is the right color. I’m about done with it.

2903E82C-AB68-47E6-9BED-8A97C65531B5.png 297F4D32-385C-4E6C-A3A3-D9BA08323136.png 4DC34E82-1F6B-4143-A733-1A4FE12CDB0A.png

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
I finally got the corrected chip in and still no luck, tests for ammonia coming back pink when manual tests all say 2ppm (dark green). I’ve tried 2 different testing methods and still not a single test is the right color. I’m about done with it.

2903E82C-AB68-47E6-9BED-8A97C65531B5.png 297F4D32-385C-4E6C-A3A3-D9BA08323136.png 4DC34E82-1F6B-4143-A733-1A4FE12CDB0A.png

That's terrible. Mine worked for about 6 weeks and then none of my results registered for days. Finally determined that the magnetic spinner stopped functioning. But even after the repair I am still unable to get any test results back from my Magnesium test kit and now my calcium test kit does the same thing. I really wish the reliability was there. It really seems hit or miss.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve got two reefbots, one works just fine and the other has never worked correctly. They try to be responsive, but it’s hard with them being on the other side of the earth and lack a way to get parts or exchanges done inexpensively.

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score

I understand that regret. In all honesty I really want this thing to work because sitting conducting chemical test is tedious. But just like you I don't understand how the reliability of the unit cannot be restored after fixing broken components.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Well I figure since I’ve bad mouthed it due to not being able to get it to work I might as well post praises now that’s it’s working. So far all my tests are matching my manual results. I gotta say I’m liking it now that I can trust the results. I think what finally got me over the hump was getting the mixer to work so it spins the magnets and running the calibration till it calibrated successfully.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back