My refugium keeps killing my macro algae

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had cyano in my refugium early on. I added a small powerhead and it hasn't returned. Increasing flow is a common solution for cyano.

Yes, if your tank runs out of any of the required nutrients (or adequate light), then chaeto will die.

OP
OP
C

Crustoceous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing that the macro did well for some time because there were plenty of nutrients... then reached a point where it overgrew what the tank had for nutrients and crashed, then the nuisance algae took over with the small nutrient load? I guess that would help explain how there’s barely any algae in the tank or in the sump... just a fine light fuzz.

so do I need to worry about the nuisance algae before trying again, or just supplement a new batch of macro?

OP
OP
C

Crustoceous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have red algae first, it got overtaken by nuisance algae and completely died out. Right now the chaeto has started to come back, and the nuisance algae is in check but still predominant... I’m kind of waiting to see what develops from that. There’s a short green carpet on the refugium walls and back wall of the tank but nowhere else really.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had chaeto live in a sump refugium. It always grows either cyano or hair algae due to the light I suppose. I can keep small bits alive on my urchin though, lol

Back