My rendition of 300

Randy Ruiz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting following your project. Makes my tank upgrade look like a picnic. But I'm not doing auto water change, etc. However, think I do want to get an Apex, so you got me thinking I should maybe be doing some special wiring for it. Not sure what state you are in, but if that were in Calif., don't think you would be able to put plumbing & electrical through the studs.
Look forward to seeing your finished product. Looks like you are close. Nice, dishes almost done.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I tried my best to account for most everything in this build. I knew that I was going to have the Ecotech and Apex at the heart of the project. After taking a 4 year hiatus I tried really hard to catch myself up on what new products were available so that I could plan accordingly and run all the cables necessary behind the walls. What I didn't expect was the push back from neptune systems when I started inquiring about specific connectors they used on their new Apex model. I wanted to make wall plates with their molex connectors and just needed to know which ones they used. I would have thought they would've championed the idea that my build was going to revolve around their product but instead I was stonewalled. I ended up ordering a sampling of molex connectors so that I could find the right ones. That was a real eye opener of where they were 4 years ago and where they are now.

I had the opposite experience with Ecotech, they were completely supportive and willing to offer support and guidance along the way. Which to me when you're trying to create a one off design that pushes the needle pass normal the encouragement and support meant the world to me.

It's a funny story about the laser cutter. I've had this 60 watt laser since 2014 and use it all the time. Over the years the CO2 tube starts to weaken and needs to be replaced. Knowing that these tubes cost upwards of $600, I wanted to get my moneys worth. Even though it took multiple passes to cut acrylic it was still working, so why replace it??? For those that aren't familiar with the way these tubes get cooled, they require a flow of cold water through the tube to remove heat that is created from lasing usually done with nothing more than a simple pond pump. There is a fail safe incorporated to protect the glass tube in the form of a flow sensor. When water passes through the sensor it closes a contact to tell the computer that the tube is getting a steady flow of water. When flow stops or slows down the laser stops as well.

Sometime ago the contact in the sensor got stuck in the closed position which never posed a problem until the pond pump stopped working. I was cutting a probe holder out of 3/8" acrylic and realized that I had to make more passes than usual, after about the 10th pass I noticed it wasn't making progress. It only took a few seconds to determine that the laser tube cracked.

I was so bummed that I shut it all down and didn't think about it for a couple weeks. The laser was purchased directly from china and even though there was a communication barrier, any time I had a problem or question I would simply send an email and receive a response in a timely manner. It must have been some time in the recent past, the company must have changed names or closed down, because when I needed guidance in tube replacement my emails were being returned as undeliverable. I tried to research the company on the web with no luck. I remember promising local hobbyist that I would cut some parts and even make some things for them only to tell them the bad news.

I had no other choice but to educate myself on laser tubes. I turned to the web and tried to find the best way forward. I had to learn a lot about what tubes would be suited and which ones would work with my current power supply. In my research, I discovered that the best tubes came out of Germany and China. A company out of Beijing called Reci seemed to be hands down the preferred place to get them. $600 and 2 weeks later, I mounted and aligned the tube and it cuts through 3/8" acrylic like butter. I was so happy that the old one cracked it's cutting better than it did on day one. And I'm back to using the laser for what ever my mind can conjure up.

I think that there are so many instances that hobbyist have great ideas but there isn't an outlet to bring that idea to fruition. With the now affordable 3D printers, people are making their lives easier with brackets and devices that only existed in their minds. To have that ability to create and offer new innovative ideas to the community is only going to make this hobby better.

Last edited:

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the positive feedback.

I tried my best to account for most everything in this build. I knew that I was going to have the Ecotech and Apex at the heart of the project. After taking a 4 year hiatus I tried really hard to catch myself up on what new products that were available so that I could plan accordingly and run all the cables necessary behind the walls. What I didn't expect was the push back from neptune systems when I started inquiring about specific connectors they used on their new Apex model. I wanted to make wall plates with their molex connectors and just needed to know which ones they used. I would have thought they would've championed the idea that my build was going to revolve around their product but instead I was stonewalled. I ended up ordering a sampling of molex connectors so that I could find the right ones. That was a real eye opener of where they were 4 years ago and where they are now.

I had the opposite experience with Ecotech, they were completely supportive and willing to offer support and guidance along the way. Which to me when you're trying to create a one off design that pushes the needle pass normal the encouragement and support meant the world to me.

It's a funny story about the laser cutter. I've had this 60 watt laser since 2014 and use it all the time. Over the years the CO2 tube starts to weaken and needs to be replaced. Knowing that these tubes cost upwards of $600, I wanted to get my moneys worth. Even though it took multiple passes to cut acrylic it was still working, so why replace it??? For those that aren't familiar with the way these tubes get cooled, they require a flow of cold water through the tube to remove heat that is created from lasing usually done with nothing more than a simple pond pump. There is a fail safe incorporated to protect the glass tube in the form of a flow sensor. When water passes through the sensor it closes a contact to tell the computer that the tube is getting a steady flow of water. When flow stops or slows down the laser stops as well.

Sometime ago the contact in the sensor got stuck in the closed position which never posed a problem until the pond pump stopped working. I was cutting a probe holder out of 3/8" acrylic and realized that I had to make more passes than usual, after about the 10th pass I noticed it wasn't making progress. It only took a few seconds to determine that the laser tube cracked.

I was so bummed that I shut it all down and didn't think about it for a couple weeks. The laser was purchased directly from china and even though there was a communication barrier, any time I had a problem or question I would simply send an email and receive a response in a timely manner. It must have been some time in the recent past, the company must have changed names or closed down, because when I needed guidance in tube replacement my emails were being returned as undeliverable. I tried to research the company on the web with no luck. I remember promising local hobbyist that I would cut some parts and even make some things for them only to tell them the bad news.

I had no other choice but to educate myself on laser tubes. I turned to the web and tried to find the best way forward. I had to learn a lot about what tubes would be suited and which ones would work with my current power supply. In my research, I discovered that the best tubes came out of Germany and China. A company out of Beijing called Reci seemed to be hands down the preferred place to get them. $600 and 2 weeks later, I mounted and aligned the tube and it cuts through 3/8" acrylic like butter. I was so happy that the old one cracked it's cutting better than it did on day one. And I'm back to using the laser for what ever my mind can conjure up.

I think that there are so many instances that hobbyist have great ideas but there isn't an outlet to bring that idea to fruition. With the now affordable 3D printers, people are making their lives easier with brackets and devices that only existed in their minds. To have that ability to create and offer new innovative ideas to the community is only going to make this hobby better.
Hey Jimmy, welcome to the party! Now i don't have to check that other site everyday for updates!

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting following your project. Makes my tank upgrade look like a picnic. But I'm not doing auto water change, etc. However, think I do want to get an Apex, so you got me thinking I should maybe be doing some special wiring for it. Not sure what state you are in, but if that were in Calif., don't think you would be able to put plumbing & electrical through the studs.
Look forward to seeing your finished product. Looks like you are close. Nice, dishes almost done.
Hehe, Yes dishes are almost done!!

Funny you say that, I didn't even realize the electrical and plumbing issue. I made it extremely clear to the city inspector that I wasn't trying to cut corners to maximize time and profit. I wanted him to point out everything that could possibly be a problem so that I can have it fixed. That one didn't register on his radar. Now that I look at it, I wish it did. Grrr!!!

I really like the idea that I have wall plates set throughout the room with aquabus connections to tie everything in neatly.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jimmy, good to see you on the other side. :0)

How is that peristaltic pump working out for you??

Well, a local reefer in the area and I are working on version 2. The current pump is working great and doesn't show signs of the contrary. The one issue I have is accuracy that stems from the integrity of the silicone tube, which I hope version 2 will remedy. Keep an eye out on that thread in the DIY section. I hope to have something to report next week.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jimmy, welcome to the party! Now i don't have to check that other site everyday for updates!
As much as it pains me, RC has been my home for so many years, I guess it's time to move over. The deciding factor was that the local club just named R2R as the official site to get club related information.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a local reefer in the area and I are working on version 2. The current pump is working great and doesn't show signs of the contrary. The one issue I have is accuracy that stems from the integrity of the silicone tube, which I hope version 2 will remedy. Keep an eye out on that thread in the DIY section. I hope to have something to report next week.

Awesome, eager to hear more! If you decide to sell one, let me be the first to purchase. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the Kamoer...

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a while since I have posted anything, I figured that it's time to do some sort of update. The tank has been on the slow path to stocking with live stock. For a long time the only fish that I had in there was small fish, and most weren't herbivores, so the algae got way out of hand. Hair algae was at least 6-9" tall and I couldn't even see the rock. It looked like I had a fresh water planted tank, Having almost every issue under the sun with QT, I'm finally starting to see the fruits of my labor.

Here's what I have in the tank right now:

Blonde Naso
7cj4JCEl.jpg

Powder Brown Tang
9hLvKWSl.jpg

Fox Face (doesn't like his picture taken)
lkw4NKPl.jpg

Solar Wrasse (my wife's favorite)
rt8t2Sml.jpg

If you look on the left there's a lubbock wrasse

Lemon wrasse (one letter away from greatness [Limon])
9G9vU7Hl.jpg

Purple Tang (another of my wife's favorites)
wFtnq3Kl.jpg

Pair of clowns (as of yesterday the male is on the other side of the tank, which I can only assume is that there might be eggs in the tank somewhere)
yYeHDgol.jpg

Lawnmower Blenny (Gramps)
LUO63udl.jpg

Six Line wrasse (can't get him to stay still)
cV9F9fCl.jpg

Not in the photo's is:
mandarin goby,
2 [of the 8] chromis,
& Diamond Goby

I also have 3 more fish in the QT:

Hippo tang
Copperband butterfly
Hawkfish

I also had a powder blue and yellow tang but they didn't make it through the QT process. Funny that those 2 fish have been in every reef tank that we ever had, and to not have them in this set up feels weird.
The tank isn't completely stocked yet, there are a few other fish that we want.

Back to the algae problem, the tangs made short work of the algae, it look less than 2 days for them to completely rid the rock of all of it. I was extremely pleased with their work ethic.

All the while I have been slowly stocking the tank with little frags of SPS and LPS coral which means that I had to start watching and maintaining alk and calc.

My intentions from the beginning was to have a calcium reactor supplying the essentials to the tank but every time I got around to take inventory and get everything needed it would fall by the wayside and I'd kick the can down the road. In the mean time I was relying on 2 part dosing and kalkwasser to maintain the levels but it always seemed that I'd forget to refill one or the other and the alk would swing stressing the corals to the point that they stop growing get burnt tips or they stn.

Now that I have a few coveted coral in my tank I needed to kick myself in the butt and get the CaRx on line and get stabilityin the tank. So, today I got up early and got started. The good thing is that with all my procrastination and failures to start, I had accumulated all the pumps, parts and plumbing needed to get it going. I just needed to put it all together.

I know this is a lot over kill but I have a Vectra S1 supplying water to the reactor. I made a manifold with 2 other ports just in case I needed something to flow water through in the future.

mJ3eEdjl.jpg

Being that this is my first time incorporating a CaRx I did a lot of research trying to use the most up to date practices to get it right. I leaned a lot on @TMB (Tom) experience, It didn't take much convincing to set it up so that the Vectra will pressurize the reactor and using the peristaltic pump on the backside to regulate the flow out the effluent.

TuQgawEl.jpg

oC0r60il.jpg

Up there on the top is the DIY peristaltic pump. I calibrated it for this configuration and have it constantly running at 20ml per minute. I also programmed the Apex to control the pH inside the reactor to run between 7.03-7.08.

Hopefully this will give me a good starting point, I tested the effluent after the pH dropped to 7.03 and the c02 solenoid cycled 3 times and it was 9.3.

Hopefully that is a good starting point, now comes the constant testing to dial it in.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for me to feel this jealous. The build was insanely incredible. Your skills are second to none. Please update with FTS. I’d love to see what the whole thing looks like with fish in it.

ylreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man. I always envy reefers who hVe the opportunity to build their home around their tanks lol. But you sir, even have a moat [emoji23]. Omg.

How I missed this build I'll never know, that is some serious DIY skills you have there. Enough to start your own reefing business iid say. Come on when do we get to order lol.

I see a bedroom being taken over for a frag system soon [emoji16]. Or even an extension being added and turned into a shop [emoji106][emoji106]

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back