My rendition of 300

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, I love the thought you have put into the details!

This really stuck a chord... My wife always says why do you do that, nobody will know but you, but that is exactly the point, I will know.
When things aren't precise, it can be like a stain on one's brain! : )

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, I love the thought you have put into the details!

This really stuck a chord... My wife always says why do you do that, nobody will know but you, but that is exactly the point, I will know.
When things aren't precise, it can be like a stain on one's brain! : )
I feel that it's sort of a curse, I have attention to detail for some of the stuff that I do, and I think that gives a false presumption on me as a person. Too many times before going to see a persons tank for the first time, I get the canned disclaimer, not to look too closely at it as if I'm there to point out everything that I think is wrong.

The truth is, that notion is not even a thought in my head until they bring it up. As much as I don't want someone critiquing my work, I definitely wont critique yours... unless you ask.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One key term I learned while in the service is "It's within limits". The time it takes to make something perfect is time that item is out of service. So there are acceptable limits on items. I apply that same concept to allot of the work I do too.
Keep in mind that some limits are much smaller than others.

A for instance, I was in a school for the military. We had projects to accomplish to pass the class. All the projects had acceptable limits. 3 people out of 8 failed because they didn't finish all the projects. Everyone one of the completed projects they turned in where excellent. However, we where not graded or scored on how perfect an item was. We where scored on completion. This class had allot to do with time management as well as learning skills. Perfection can bite you if you let it rule your work.

In life you strive for perfection, but sometimes you have to accept good.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sitting in the living room and heard a pop, didn't think much of it, heard it again and the dog perked up this time. I went to investigate, open the fish room door and smelled burnt electronics and sizzling.

One on my EB832's was popping, I quickly flipped the circuit breaker and asked out loud, "Why didn't the GFCI trip? Further investigation showed that water dripped onto the box and must have seeped in.

Well, There was another EB832 right next to it that had 6 empty slots. I categorized which components were essential and which can stay unplugged. swapping it over and reprogramming went a lot quicker than expected, the tank didn't really skip a beat.

Now to evaluate the damage, took it apart and realized that the only component that appeared to be damaged was the 24v 4A power supply for the 1link and accessory ports.

pBGcM9vl.jpg

I was just about to go online and place an order when I thought, "I wonder if this is an off the shelf power supply?" Sure enough, the measurements were the same as a 24v 5A power supply sold on amazon. Only $20 and worth trying.

2 days later the package arrived. Pulled the casing apart and set them side by side, the only difference is that they are mirrored.

MjltTw4l.jpg

L397wZfl.jpg

Seems like Neptune accounted for this because the plastic mold has 4 screw slots in each corner of where the power supply would go but only 2 clips were used to secured it in place. meaning that when they buy in bulk they probably get one or the other [Bonus for me!!].

QN7Pnjol.jpg

With some de-soldering and soldering I was able to make short work of attaching it to the other components

hB7jvi6l.jpg

y2O9bybl.jpg

ogkMIpAl.jpg

I buttoned it all back up and plugged it in... WOOHOO! everything worked as it should. I'm super stoked that I didn't have to drop another $300 to replace it.

I'm slowly plugging everything back in, I don't quite trust it yet, but Fusion shows that everything is working properly, the Volts, Watts and Amps display is working, all the outlets are cycling. I think that I dodged a bullet. Time will tell. I'm just glad that Neptune uses off the shelf components.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nice going !!

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sitting in the living room and heard a pop, didn't think much of it, heard it again and the dog perked up this time. I went to investigate, open the fish room door and smelled burnt electronics and sizzling.

One on my EB832's was popping, I quickly flipped the circuit breaker and asked out loud, "Why didn't the GFCI trip? Further investigation showed that water dripped onto the box and must have seeped in.

Well, There was another EB832 right next to it that had 6 empty slots. I categorized which components were essential and which can stay unplugged. swapping it over and reprogramming went a lot quicker than expected, the tank didn't really skip a beat.

Now to evaluate the damage, took it apart and realized that the only component that appeared to be damaged was the 24v 4A power supply for the 1link and accessory ports.

pBGcM9vl.jpg

I was just about to go online and place an order when I thought, "I wonder if this is an off the shelf power supply?" Sure enough, the measurements were the same as a 24v 5A power supply sold on amazon. Only $20 and worth trying.

2 days later the package arrived. Pulled the casing apart and set them side by side, the only difference is that they are mirrored.

MjltTw4l.jpg

L397wZfl.jpg

Seems like Neptune accounted for this because the plastic mold has 4 screw slots in each corner of where the power supply would go but only 2 clips were used to secured it in place. meaning that when they buy in bulk they probably get one or the other [Bonus for me!!].

QN7Pnjol.jpg

With some de-soldering and soldering I was able to make short work of attaching it to the other components

hB7jvi6l.jpg

y2O9bybl.jpg

ogkMIpAl.jpg

I buttoned it all back up and plugged it in... WOOHOO! everything worked as it should. I'm super stoked that I didn't have to drop another $300 to replace it.

I'm slowly plugging everything back in, I don't quite trust it yet, but Fusion shows that everything is working properly, the Volts, Watts and Amps display is working, all the outlets are cycling. I think that I dodged a bullet. Time will tell. I'm just glad that Neptune uses off the shelf components.
You really are good to have around. Will ping you if I ever get into a situation like yours.

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pBGcM9vl.jpg

MjltTw4l.jpg

L397wZfl.jpg

QN7Pnjol.jpg

hB7jvi6l.jpg

y2O9bybl.jpg

ogkMIpAl.jpg

Great repair! Do you mind posting a link to the part in case we need to get one at some point?

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weather is starting to cool down, no time like the present to get started. Let me know when you do so I can follow along. What's the dimensions of your 300?
Had to step down to a 200 due to weight in my house but it is being delivered end of September went with the innovative marine 200 int so it’s 70x30x21 gotta get a thread going , but now that it’s on the way I’m going back through yours to get some more inspiration

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great repair! Do you mind posting a link to the part in case we need to get one at some point?
I was asked by others to do the same. so I made added a thread in the aquarium controller section to make searching for it easier.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to step down to a 200 due to weight in my house but it is being delivered end of September went with the innovative marine 200 int so it’s 70x30x21 gotta get a thread going , but now that it’s on the way I’m going back through yours to get some more inspiration
Awesome, be sure to let me know when you start. I like the depth of that tank, quite honestly the depth is what I like the most about my tank....

Reef2Rags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is simply amazing!! Your attention to detail, ability to plan and execute, and vision are to be admired. Thank you for sharing all of this info. I will be coming back to this build for inspiration a lot!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back