OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the color and par comparison between the 2?
If you mean between the coral care and the Orphek, the coral care is surely whiter at full power. I haven’t really played around with the coral care since I got them. I’m between tanks right now, so I’m just limping things along.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean between the coral care and the Orphek, the coral care is surely whiter at full power. I haven’t really played around with the coral care since I got them. I’m between tanks right now, so I’m just limping things along.
Yes. Was wondering how they compare. Will wait for your review

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll quote myself here. I now have burned leds in both of my fixtures….again. This is something like five boards in two fixtures that have gone bad. I have sold them for $150 each and the buyer can do the ICON upgrade. I’m done with Orphek altogether and have bought three Coralcare’s.
That's a bugger mate, was it the new Icons with new fans that burnt out or V4's?
I'm running v4's atm and may upgrade to ICON.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the ICON borads more reliable ?
Yes.
1/ They have different UVs
2/ the connections on the LEDs are more robust.
3/ The fans are better... I think.
4/ the top is stainless Steel and acts as another heatsink so its cooler running.
5/ The lenses are now glass, previously acrylic.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just some are glass at least that's how it reads.
Glass lens for its UV/violet LEDs

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.
1/ They have different UVs
2/ the connections on the LEDs are more robust.
3/ The fans are better... I think.
4/ the top is stainless Steel and acts as another heatsink so its cooler running.
5/ The lenses are now glass, previously acrylic.
Hi guys, just want to clarify what Atoll has said about the ICon Orpheks.
1/Improvements are the LEDs are made by someone else now and Orphek have switched to a more reliable led and more powerful.
2/ the LEDs board and heat sink are much improved with a larger area for cooling.
3/ the fans themselves have been improved in as much they have more output than the old ones.
4/the top case of the light is made from aluminium and has copper heat sink which transfers the heat to the aluminium outer case.
5/ the glass lenses are only on the UV LEDs to pull as much heat away from them as poss.
the program is 10x better.
I should point out I am not associated with Orphek in any way.
I have 7 v4’s over my 300 gal.
I’ve used v4’s on other tanks since 2017… they grow coral full stop.
I did have problems with LEDs on earlier models but my late v4’s are still brilliant ax the dah I bought them.
V4’s have a few versions and as some have experienced they have a weakness if cranked up.
The later models are good though… the Icons I am in the process of upgrading to as I want improved software and keep up to date.
My v4 boards will be sold and used in my frag set up!
For me Orphek are the best lights as I can house them 16-18 inches above the water and still work on my tank!

Royal_pudding

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, just want to clarify what Atoll has said about the ICon Orpheks.
1/Improvements are the LEDs are made by someone else now and Orphek have switched to a more reliable led and more powerful.
2/ the LEDs board and heat sink are much improved with a larger area for cooling.
3/ the fans themselves have been improved in as much they have more output than the old ones.
4/the top case of the light is made from aluminium and has copper heat sink which transfers the heat to the aluminium outer case.
5/ the glass lenses are only on the UV LEDs to pull as much heat away from them as poss.
the program is 10x better.
I should point out I am not associated with Orphek in any way.
I have 7 v4’s over my 300 gal.
I’ve used v4’s on other tanks since 2017… they grow coral full stop.
I did have problems with LEDs on earlier models but my late v4’s are still brilliant ax the dah I bought them.
V4’s have a few versions and as some have experienced they have a weakness if cranked up.
The later models are good though… the Icons I am in the process of upgrading to as I want improved software and keep up to date.
My v4 boards will be sold and used in my frag set up!
For me Orphek are the best lights as I can house them 16-18 inches above the water and still work on my tank!
Do you know how these (or the orphek bars) would work on a 5x2x2 mounted just above water, with only 4 inches mounting height?

Miles Laughton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate, I think 16inches is recommended?
I did have my old tank lower.
So 5x2x2 two full size units would be fine, if you stretch to it 2 no bars as well.

I have one on my frag tank which is 42inches x 24inches

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back