My Review of Orphek Atlantik V4 after 15 Months

littlekensho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a month out on this thread, however, I thought I'd post my experiences with Orphek.

I purchased my lights, yes, 2 Atlantik V4 (freshwater versions) on Cyber Monday sale in 2018. Items arrived sometime mid-December, installed right in the new year. Fast forward to this past Feb/March, noticed something "off" about my light color. It took a good while of investigation, but diodes in channel 3 completely out ( half) and the other half burned with much less intensity than my other light. I finally messaged Orphek in May, and it took quite a bit for a response, multiple requests for photographs, and overall just a delay in service and a sort of flippant attitude regarding the issue, since the light "was out of warranty". Took a lot of discussions back and forth month for my new PCB board replacement to ship in for a "discount of 200$ shipped". Fine. I need the light to work correctly, with the correct color spectrum to grow my plants and forgo the algae that likes to grow under this particular light, and not the other. The replacement finally showed, and after paying for an install, it was the INCORRECT color array, salt instead of fresh. Again, took several very obvious images to prove this was the case. I was told a new freshwater would be built and shipped, to return the other.
Now, my light had to be taken back apart, the incorrect PCB board repackaged and returned.
Crickets from their end. Finally got a response they were "on holiday until June 28 then they would update. Crickets, again.
At this point, I'm canceling the PCB order, and I'm completely and utterly done with their customer service, and the quality of the 1100$ light, and poor controller app. So, overwhelmingly done.
I have a 32-inch deep tank. My lights need to be about 15-preferably 18 inches above my tank for me to climb into it on a 6ft ladder to plant, trim, clean, and scape. I am strongly looking into Kessels at this point, they at least have a 2-year warranty if you reside in US and register them. But I must admit, after this poor adventure, I'm afraid to drop that kind of money into freshwater lights, but with the money (pit, HA) time and investments in my tank, plants, equipment and livestock I'm not sure where else to look when it comes to something to cover that depth with high tech high light plants.

If you reach out to anyone on the Facebook page, your post will not be allowed by Orphek. It's nothing more than an advertisement board for them.

I've spoken to a LFS who used to deal Orphek. They too had customer service issues, along with undercutting the retail seller of the cost from the company by direct to consumer reduction of prices. They were very hesitant to relay this information to me until I explained my current dealings with the company directly.

littlekensho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get a new board for free? My light was only just out of warranty and had to pay
They certainly didn't offer me a free new board, and our purchase times were around the same time. Instead they gave me a "discount" and still to this day have not received the correct board.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I have not went away from halides for my big tanks. I have tried a number of led fixtures and these issues are common across the board for me. Some may have better service but the fixtures always had issues for me. My halides won’t so I am comfortable as I can be now. Only tanks I will use leds on is small ones where I can just buy a new fixture if something goes wrong.
For what it’s worth I still have my or2 bars and they are working good. But I did have issues with customer service when no one could figure out what was wrong with them. Ended up being ballasts or lights touching each other causing flickering and I had to figure it out myself after weeks of emails back and fourth.

R33fedOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orpheks are sold at huge premium but their technology is ancient, essentially the PCB is almost identical to China black boxes. For that price I'd rather go radion.
That's nice to know, fortunately for us Orphek owners the PCB isn't what grows my stellar SPS. The diodes do. So I could give a crap how acient the HW is. If it's not broke, don't fix it. I switched from Radions to Orpheks and have never looked back. To each their own.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orpheks are sold at huge premium but their technology is ancient, essentially the PCB is almost identical to China black boxes. For that price I'd rather go radion.
Harrr yes the perfect Radion gen 5s. With all.the issues on release. I have had Gen3s they were fine but not in the same league as my Orpheks. Not perfect no light is...yet. I considered Gen5s but soon dismissed them given the issues people were experiencing with noisy fans, cracking cases and ify softwear and waiting times for replacement parts. These along with the fact I needed 3 XR30s as opposed to my 2 x Atlantic's. Saved some money and happy with my lights. No issues either. I would buy them again.
You pays your money etc.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice to know, fortunately for us Orphek owners the PCB isn't what grows my stellar SPS. The diodes do. So I could give a crap how acient the HW is. If it's not broke, don't fix it. I switched from Radions to Orpheks and have never looked back. To each their own.
Well that is a good point.The diode "package " is ancient in tech terms.
Question remains on the quality of the actual chips inside that "egg". THAT determines the value.
Next would be their heat transfer properties for long life.

Good thing, unlike more err modern designs they are much easier for an ind. to replace if need be.
Of course you could argue that it shouldn't be needed.

Second to diodes is how good and how well placed the secondary optics are

From a strictly outsiders opinion I've always been on the fence w/ them.
From a diy type I'd regret not having those types of diodes in a "foreign" company.

Oh and some black boxes do use "modern" SMD led chips.

I don't believe any "bars"are modern either.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought five of them. The lights are gorgeous, the wireless app connected flawlessly, and so far there have been no problems with lights or channels failing. Even if the tech is not super modern, the materials and quality seem really good to me, and they are quiet.

Compared to my Gen3 radions (which I am using downstairs now in my frag tanks)... I can't quite get the same visual look as the AB+ setting, which is my only gripe so far.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek user here as well... no issues since ive had them...received early Jan 2020. I added 3 Kessil a360X for enhanced shimmer and additional spectrum.

1597169848375.png

Luisreefmexico

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in my experience the orphek light are excellent lights, i have 2 atlantik V4 since Nov 2018 and they have never failed me.

Most of my hobbyist friends have Radion lights and also go well with good results, but when they see my tank get impressed with the spectrum and the par of my lights
i run my channels at 90% and I have to say that i connected it to a no break to avoid current variations and electrical overloads.
Last week i bough a atlantik V2.1 and i am going buy the upgrade to the V4.
currently this is my tank and also add a one photo of one frag of pc rainbow that is growing very well... i think

IMG_3393.jpeg IMG_3803.jpeg IMG_3804.jpeg

rusgum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo was taken 2 years ago. I updated it to a new board half a year ago. Glass lenses are coming soon. I'm happy with the light

FB_IMG_1595923644227.jpg

blackgate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i was really really thinking about selling my ati powermodule as I don't want to worry about changing bulbs and burning in bulbs etc. and getting an atlantik but this thread is a real bummer. I definitely appreciate everyone's reviews and opinions....just a real bummer

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek user here as well... no issues since ive had them...received early Jan 2020. I added 3 Kessil a360X for enhanced shimmer and additional spectrum.

1597169848375.png

Really clean setup! How did you mount those to the underside of your canopy? I hope/assume you have vents above those fixtures.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread got me all freaked out... but the five Atlantic V4s that I ordered all are working perfectly and were super easy to set up. Working great on my 11.5 foot tank. I flanked them with T5s - sort of like the WWC 900 tank.

1599935594051.png

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really clean setup! How did you mount those to the underside of your canopy? I hope/assume you have vents above those fixtures.
Thanks and yes the are vented and mounted to the top of the canopy using sea resistant screws. These are images from my install

1599936050819.png

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i was really really thinking about selling my ati powermodule as I don't want to worry about changing bulbs and burning in bulbs etc. and getting an atlantik but this thread is a real bummer. I definitely appreciate everyone's reviews and opinions....just a real bummer
Like anything else, the small percentage of buyers that have had issues speak loudest while the thousands of us that have had them for years with no issues, are quietly happy. Not minimizing their issues, just stating reality. I have been in the hobby for decades and would have fewer gray hairs if all of the vendors in the industry were as responsive as Orphek is.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back