My Review of Orphek Atlantik V4 after 15 Months

Hersheyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a V4 that I've been using for a little past 2 years now. Haven't had any issues with it, corals in my tank have responded very well, so well that I bought a 2nd unit about 3 months ago. I'm very happy with the Orpheks, and I have have used all differents lights, ati t5, radions, kessils, AI,

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zooxanthellae can produce mycosprorine-like amino acids (MAAs) that offer protection to radiation of about 310-350nm. Anything above, more or less, is useful in the promotion of photosynthesis. The amount of UV produced and actually reaching corals by any light source depends upon many factors and would have to be examined on a case by case basis.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I have four of these in boxes waiting to install when I build my new tank.

I guess I will make sure my light rack and canopy allow for easy removal of the fixtures.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's also very possible running the lights lower than 100% might increase the UV longevity if the heat is an issue. Or peak them up and run lower. I run them pretty high but I might just have them peak and them drop intensity later in the day now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Zooxanthellae can produce mycosprorine-like amino acids (MAAs) that offer protection to radiation of about 310-350nm. Anything above, more or less, is useful in the promotion of photosynthesis. The amount of UV produced and actually reaching corals by any light source depends upon many factors and would have to be examined on a case by case basis.
Love mine. They are however powerful. Placed them over healthy SPS under very low power and literally melted a bunch to white in hours!!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 6300 GHL mitras running over my aquarium. Took one down and replaced with the V4-2. I'm running the coral color program with just modified times at the moment. I didn't do any coral acclimation or any of that crap and the fixture is about 8 inches from the surface. So far so good with no issues what so ever. I"m testing to see if these lights will give me more sps color than my mitras. Will let the fixture run for about 3 to 4 weeks. I have the timing set on the lights that blends with my mitras so there is no disturbance in the tank. Love the colors so far. Everything pops more. Will have to see how the sps respond as well as the lps, zoas etc. If I get more color out of everything, I will probably stay with them. The coverage is so nice it will be hard for me to pass up. Hopefully mine has the issues resolved. The fixture looks great over the tank btw.

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 v3 run for 3 years they are going on a frag tank now.

I now use 2 V4 for around 6 months without issues.

The growth and color is amazing to say the least.

I’ve been in the hobby 23 years and have used everything.

It took me a lomg time to make the switch but I have no regrets and would buy these again.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 6300 GHL mitras running over my aquarium. Took one down and replaced with the V4-2. I'm running the coral color program with just modified times at the moment. I didn't do any coral acclimation or any of that crap and the fixture is about 8 inches from the surface. So far so good with no issues what so ever. I"m testing to see if these lights will give me more sps color than my mitras. Will let the fixture run for about 3 to 4 weeks. I have the timing set on the lights that blends with my mitras so there is no disturbance in the tank. Love the colors so far. Everything pops more. Will have to see how the sps respond as well as the lps, zoas etc. If I get more color out of everything, I will probably stay with them. The coverage is so nice it will be hard for me to pass up. Hopefully mine has the issues resolved. The fixture looks great over the tank btw.
For a real test I would put them up against the LX 7600 lights.

Reef Stallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had V3+ for about 2 years when I came across a post talking about LED’s burning out. I never even thought to check my unit. When I looked, sure enough mine were burning out too! I paid over a grand for the setup and was disappointed. I didn’t make a big deal out of it and just decided to purchase the V4 upgrade board. Spent another $500 to upgrade the light. 3 weeks later my channels start blowing out 1 at a time. I have no light while Orphek tries to figure out what to do. I just ordered 3 Red SeaLED 90watt lights to replace the Atlantik.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you have to send yours? I am contemplating sending mine in instead of doing it myself as I’m not a pro. I’d just hang my halides back up and maybe sell the orpheks. I know they grow coral but I do t want to be replacing diodes every year or whatever. What is the turn around time frame in getting them back.

corey

Reef Stallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you have to send yours? I am contemplating sending mine in instead of doing it myself as I’m not a pro. I’d just hang my halides back up and maybe sell the orpheks. I know they grow coral but I do t want to be replacing diodes every year or whatever. What is the turn around time frame in getting them back.

corey
Never sent them. I did the upgrade myself according to their instructions. Had to also replace the PC card and get the latest WiFi Gateway. I also replaced all 4 fans at their suggestion.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are the v2 which were upgraded befor I bought them to the V4. Yet somehow some leds are bad already. I will say this though, there customer support has been amazing.

corey

Reef Stallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek continues to work with me. They are sending out some new parts to install. I wanted to give an update to let people know that Orphek is trying to help. I plan on hooking up the Red SeaLED 90's for now. If/when the Atlantik works again, I may either keep it as a backup or compare the performance of the two.

saltfishguy18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I to have issues with the c4 compacts. I have the gen 1’s back in May I noticed one unit had blues burnt out. Orphek said they would mail me replacements for me to solder in myself. I have no equipment to do that so there solution was to either have me mail in to us based rep or take to an electronics store and pay them. Needless to say I did nothing at the time. Shortly after that I was in a bad car accident and neglected the tank all summer. Three weeks ago I was looking at the lights and the uv lights are completely blown out. Orphek said they would mail me two new boards. They said it would be ready in about 10 days to ship. That was 3+ weeks ago and I’m told now not till mid November. For lights I spent close to $1500 for and only had for 2 years this is unacceptable. I do like the lights and customer service is responsive but they should have a better system for swapping these lights us vs telling customers to do it themselves. Clearly there is an issue with the longevity of these lights. I’m considering switching to new lights

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to hopefully swap out my bad leds early next week. Just haven’t been able to get to it lately.
quick question, my whites top out at 25% now and I I want to increase that to 50%. Should I do this slowly, or just change. They will increase intensity but it will be a shorter period of intensity.

corey

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Going to hopefully swap out my bad leds early next week. Just haven’t been able to get to it lately.
quick question, my whites top out at 25% now and I I want to increase that to 50%. Should I do this slowly, or just change. They will increase intensity but it will be a shorter period of intensity.

corey
Slowly. I did not go slowly and burnt some SPS with mine

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back