My Review of Orphek Atlantik V4 after 15 Months

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I’m taking apart my high end lights to investigate an electrical issue with the PC Card, loose wire or a diode failure. This was a direct request from Orphek to help expedite parts if needed. Specific instructions where given to follow. Hmmm...

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck sir. I took mine apart with the help of a friend and it was far more difficult than i anticipated. The diodes were hard to get off, etc. Then it still didn’t work.
one word of advice, DO NOT LET THE PC CARD TOUCH THE LED BOARD. Apparently this can fry them and in my case that is what happened resulting in me needing both units replaced.
but no real real answer on why the leds even needed fixed in the first place after 23 months....
maybe we can request Orphek in this thread to provide assistance for those that need it when repairing their lights. @Orphek

corey

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck sir. I took mine apart with the help of a friend and it was far more difficult than i anticipated. The diodes were hard to get off, etc. Then it still didn’t work.
one word of advice, DO NOT LET THE PC CARD TOUCH THE LED BOARD. Apparently this can fry them and in my case that is what happened resulting in me needing both units replaced.
but no real real answer on why the leds even needed fixed in the first place after 23 months....
maybe we can request Orphek in this thread to provide assistance for those that need it when repairing their lights. @Orphek

corey
Thanks. They only thing I can think off is there was still an electrical charge still on one of the boards even with power off and it grounded itself to each other. It doesn’t take much. Just a simple static charge from your finger can kill a computer board. I was alway told to touch something metal first and don’t move your feet to help discharge static electricity from you body right before touching anything computer related.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were taken apart on a static free board. My friend that helps me works with circuit boards for a living. We did it at his shop to have the right tools, lighting, and anything else. Orphek says since the PC Card was t attached properly during shipping that its likely when they received it and plugged it in that fried it.
either way be careful. its not a pleasant conversation having to fix lights so new. Yeah mine were older versions but the led board was t even 2 years old.

corey

dbq5anlxj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Compacts V2 and 2 full size V4s.

My Compacts have been perfect. I have had to replace the LED Boards on both of my full size. Orphek has been great with customer service. No run arounds, no jumping through hoops. Just a happy customer.

So far no issues with the replacement LED Boards.

I have had the Radion G4 Pros before the Orpheks. I have had better growth from my Orpheks then I ever had with my Radions. So while for me this was inconvenient, I must say I wouldn't go back to any other light.

I like the fact that these lights are easy to work on. Anyone that has opened a Kessil, Radion or Hydta knows the puck styles aren't always to work on.

I have seen Saw Donkeys tank so I do know the pain he has to go through to swap them out. On my tank it's a pain but not as bad as Saw donkeys.

The OR2 Bars are amazing for anyone looking to get some. Rumors are soon they will be dimmable. I hope this is true.
Hey. I'm running a kessil a360x right now. I'm thinking to switch to radion or orphek. Which one do you think make the coral pop more? thanks

SPS247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! My Orphek v4 is alive. Customer service has been top notch. Parts where shipped to me to do the repair after some minor testing to confirm what is wrong. I had to do a little operation but my light is working again.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x V3+ compact fixtures here set up August or September of 2016 so about 2 1/2 years old. All LEDs on channel 2 have burnt out but still function. All the lenses are burnt. Currently working on a solution with Kris at Orphek. So far customer support has been quick to respond. However I’m not super excited about their solutions.

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2x V3+ compact fixtures here set up August or September of 2016 so about 2 1/2 years old. All LEDs on channel 2 have burnt out but still function. All the lenses are burnt. Currently working on a solution with Kris at Orphek. So far customer support has been quick to respond. However I’m not super excited about their solutions.

Please keep us updated with the outcome. I have been running a V4 for about 1 1/2 years I think I may have a couple of diodes out ( hard to see). I’ve been considering another V4 and a compact for my frag and new Display tank, but to be totally honest I am starting to rethink my future lighting purchase.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is too bad because I really like the lights. So the first response was asking if I know how to solder. But the they upgraded the LEDs and they have thicker elements so I could buy new PCB and LEDs $228 each free shipping and two free fans. I’m not really into spending $500 to repair 2 year old lights. Gosh I have a DIY Rapid LED kit that I built in 2012 and the LEDs are still good. So I’m seeing if I can just buy some LEDs and lenses. No response yet.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Compact made in 2017 (Gen1) with burnt out diodes. Some of those earlier diodes orphek used burn out fast!

I contacted them and received replacement diodes to solder in. Noticed more burnt out past November and I got more diodes...but was sent the wrong wavelengths..

Tried to sort it out and was given the option to just replace the PCB with the newer Gen2. Kris got it out to me pretty quickly and I swap it in just last week.

But yeah, their customer service is pretty good in my experience and should take care of you. Just was disappointing the LEDs they used were so bad and I've never heard other people report that they burn out.

Hope the new LEDs last a whole lot longer! Time will tell..

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EVEN THOUGH NO ELECTRICAL CURRENT was running since they were in the mail.....the 2 coming in contact with one another is likely the culprit of both going bad. Look, I’m not an electrical expert but I am confused how with no current running they could harm one another. Anyone more knowledgable have an opinion?

Well it is VERY unlikely but caps can store energy for a time.
Also diodes are considered static sensitive devices soo there is that.

My "opinion" is it would be rare to have that happen..

OP
OP
sawdonkey

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a Compact made in 2017 (Gen1) with burnt out diodes. Some of those earlier diodes orphek used burn out fast!

I contacted them and received replacement diodes to solder in. Noticed more burnt out past November and I got more diodes...but was sent the wrong wavelengths..

Tried to sort it out and was given the option to just replace the PCB with the newer Gen2. Kris got it out to me pretty quickly and I swap it in just last week.

But yeah, their customer service is pretty good in my experience and should take care of you. Just was disappointing the LEDs they used were so bad and I've never heard other people report that they burn out.

Orphek replaced both of my boards a 4-5 months ago and they are doing fine. I love these lights when they’re working properly.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What was your experience with soldering new diodes versus replacing the PCBs? I'm trying to decide what to do.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys/Gals help me decide what to do. Final offer from Orphek is I can purchase replacement LEDs and Lenses for a total of $146.60. Or I can purchase 2 new PCB with leds for $400 ant they will through in 32 free lenses and 4 new fans (can probably get them to do free shipping too). Just wondering what all your experiences have been with either replacing just the leds or replacing the PCBs. I would like to save $$$ for these already $$$ lights, however my time is also valuable. Does any one have any experience with longevity of the PCBs? I would hate to spend $400 just to have them blow again in 6months, and go through this process all over.

Cheche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This lights are so expensive.. to have this many faults.. and then they ask the customer to actually fix they recall mistakes.. I’m very disappointed with this lights and I was a big fan of orphek

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford it, spend the $400. It will be worth it. If you can't than $146.60 is better than them not working.

will25u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I considered the Orphek lights. I was looking at those, Noopsyche, Radion (ridiculously $$$) and reef breeders. I went with reef breeders. I’m glad you did this thread, but I hate the troubles you’ve been through. At least their customer service is trying their best.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my orpheks. Occasional issues with wifi, but once you leave your schedule alone they last forever without any problems. Not sure why you are having problems. Upgrades are easy to do when the next gen comes out. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

On my previous builds, I’ve used black box LEds (Ocean Revive) and had a lot of success. When I set my tank back up at the start of last summer, I thought I’d try something of a higher quality to see if I could get even better results. I purchased two Orphek V4s and a gateway directly from Orphek to the tune of nearly $2,000.

My initial impression was that I loved the spectrum, the controllability, and the overall look. I was super happy with the lights for a few months. Then, I noticed that the UV/violet Chanel in one of the fixtures was not lighting up. I emailed with the Orphek guys and they told me to open the fixture and jump each diode with a wire to see which one is bad. So I did and it was a burned out 380nm diode. So the sent one to me and I soldered it in. First, I should not have to solder diodes into $1000 light fixtures, second, every time I take my lights down, it’s a three hour endeavor. So, I soldered it in and it worked....for a while.

Shortly after this , the other fixture did the same thing, so I had to solder in another diode. Shortly after this, the UV channel in first one that went bad went bad again. Also, the blue channel was flickering. I emailed Orphek and they sent me a whole new fixture.

A few months later, and the other fixture’s UV channel is not working again. I emailed Orphek and the sent me a whole new board. I had to take the light apart and put it in. Total pain. Not to mention, the new fixture they just sent a few months ago, now has a partially working UV channel and a flickering blue channel.

So today, I take my lights down and jump diodes with a wire and replace FOUR diodes (I took these from the old board they replaced). Everything was working fine and I put the lights back up. Right now, I’m looking at my tank and one half of it is twice as bright as the other, because half of the blue channel and half of the UV channel aren’t working.

I have a friend that lives close by and he has three fixtures. He has had a very similar experience with all three. So....to sum it up, Orphek has great customer service and the really need it, because their product is flawed. If you’re considering dropping a couple thousand dollars on aquarium lights, I’d look elsewhere. If you like to take your lights down and put them up again over and over, like to solder, and like to talk to customer service, Orphek V4s are for you.

Back