My review of the Coralife protein skimmer v2

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the v2 skimmer in my biocube 32 for about 2 months now. I have had since I started the tank. Adjusting the air flow in your skimmer so the bubble are reaching close to rim is very important, and your water level. After running it for 2 months it pulls a dark green foamy liquid. So much foam that I have to tape the lid closed so the foam don’t push the lid open. For 50 dollars and from just visually seeing and smelling what the skimmer pulls out I would have to give it 5 stars for a nano skimmer. It took me awhile of tuning my water level and adjusting the air flow. Which is probably why everyone says it don’t work..

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the v2 skimmer in my biocube 32 for about 2 months now. I have had since I started the tank. Adjusting the air flow in your skimmer so the bubble are reaching close to rim is very important, and your water level. After running it for 2 months it pulls a dark green foamy liquid. So much foam that I have to tape the lid closed so the foam don’t push the lid open. For 50 dollars and from just visually seeing and smelling what the skimmer pulls out I would have to give it 5 stars for a nano skimmer. It took me awhile of tuning my water level and adjusting the air flow. Which is probably why everyone says it don’t work..
Nice write up! This can be very helpful for anyone running that skimmer, especially in a biocube!

Thanks for your review and words for anyone looking to get some help on that certain piece of equipment!

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions are very basic and don’t say how to adjust the air flow. With that said, how do you adjust the air flow? Lol!

I’ve only had mine for a couple days and was wondering why nothing really awesome was happening besides clean little bubbles, but according to my reading it’s normal. Apparently, it takes about 2 weeks before I get to see anything interesting.

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions are very basic and don’t say how to adjust the air flow. With that said, how do you adjust the air flow? Lol!

I’ve only had mine for a couple days and was wondering why nothing really awesome was happening besides clean little bubbles, but according to my reading it’s normal. Apparently, it takes about 2 weeks before I get to see anything interesting.
My new review for the skimmer it’s junk. Last weekend the skimmer went bad. Pushing tons of micro bubbles into my main display. I took apart the skimmer, cleaned it. Could not find anything wrong. It was just forcing tons of micro bubbles for no reason. Then I tried ordering the tunze 9001 they are sold out everywhere. So I got the Aquamaxx hob 1.5 instead of buying another coralife and having to deal with that again. Also with the Aquamax you can get the fuge basket for chamber 2 with tunze you cannot.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new review for the skimmer it’s junk. Last weekend the skimmer went bad. Pushing tons of micro bubbles into my main display. I took apart the skimmer, cleaned it. Could not find anything wrong. It was just forcing tons of micro bubbles for no reason. Then I tried ordering the tunze 9001 they are sold out everywhere. So I got the Aquamaxx hob 1.5 instead of buying another coralife and having to deal with that again. Also with the Aquamax you can get the fuge basket for chamber 2 with tunze you cannot.
What chamber does the aquamaxx fit in? I currently have the InTank media basket and refugium in chamber 2. How long have you been running the aquamaxx? Is it fairly quiet? Did it require any modifications or for you to take the top off? I know the Tunze did require some small mods which I didn’t want to do.

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What chamber does the aquamaxx fit in? I currently have the InTank media basket and refugium in chamber 2. How long have you been running the aquamaxx? Is it fairly quiet? Did it require any modifications or for you to take the top off? I know the Tunze did require some small mods which I didn’t want to do.
I don’t have it yet. It will be here on Friday. I can’t find any information on how to install the Aquamaxx on the biocube 32 other than one thread and don’t explain exactly how he did it. The few pictures I seen they have it in chamber 1 but you have to cut the hoop that holds the lid or else you have to put the return into chamber 2

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have it yet. It will be here on Friday. I can’t find any information on how to install the Aquamaxx on the biocube 32 other than one thread and don’t explain exactly how he did it. The few pictures I seen they have it in chamber 1 but you have to cut the hoop that holds the lid or else you have to put the return into chamber 2
Please loopback after you have it up and running and let me know what you think.

OP
OP
Themastaa

Themastaa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was pretty easy to install, and the modifications needed to mount the Aquamaxx took less than 5 mins. I used small wire cutters, and a needle nose plyers to remove the hood loop above chamber 1. I also have my heater still inside chamber 1. Here are some pictures
9CF9F370-71D4-47AC-8928-7BC639D6071F.jpeg
7DCF952E-938B-461C-BD72-2BF87837428B.jpeg
6AB5686E-842E-428A-9535-82429BF154B7.jpeg
3402D807-E9D8-4D4E-8B1E-F16937C3A481.jpeg
64025C2B-8E63-4CD5-B107-252B820FD26D.jpeg
2344A526-49A2-43B2-B69D-F8765DE206D7.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back