SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that Orange Julius has me drooling... hurry up and grow that thing so I can buy a frag from you! Oh, posted a big update on my thread today... go check it out!

Edit; Orange Julius got me so excited I completely forgot about the blue acro. That thing is beautiful, blue is my favorite color.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that Orange Julius has me drooling... hurry up and grow that thing so I can buy a frag from you! Oh, posted a big update on my thread today... go check it out!

Edit; Orange Julius got me so excited I completely forgot about the blue acro. That thing is beautiful, blue is my favorite color.

lol thank you! It's really nice, wish I could get a pic like it looks in person! The mother colony is doing well also so it's steady growing, I'd say in another 6 months I'll be able to pull off enough frags to sell.
e58cf58e60d6736052f977e9441c5be4.jpg

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, cant wait until I get my nano stabilized and mine starts taking off like this.
Everything looks great after the frag tank switch.

Thanks turts, yeah I think it made it thru the switch pretty well, I was going to take all the sand and LR out but I think I'll just leave it like this. I really don't want this tank up and running any longer than I have to. It's just too much to care for both tanks like they need.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just too much to care for both tanks like they need.

Something I have found out. I'm letting my 75 go fowlr as corals die because I dont have the energy or interest to try and keep corals alive in both tanks. Nothing special in there, I moved all my SPS and the two duncans into the nano. The rhodactis will stay tho, they are doing great.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I have found out. I'm letting my 75 go fowlr as corals die because I dont have the energy or interest to try and keep corals alive in both tanks. Nothing special in there, I moved all my SPS and the two duncans into the nano. The rhodactis will stay tho, they are doing great.

I love my nano, it's no secret, I wish I could find a way to have them all on the same loop of water. I don't want them side by side, that kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. I'll probably set it back up once I get the frag room built and a frag tank in it. Like you said, it's exhausting, and not to discourage you at all but especially after running this nano for almost 3 years and the last year going heavy sps, I test the water every other day and I just constantly feel anxious that it's gonna crash any day.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly believe the heart of this system is my Sump, a lil diy 10 gallon aqueon, cost me 10 bucs and some scrap acrylic and silicone. But it's dirty in a good way, so many different algaes growing and macro algae and organisms that thrive down in my Sump, different kinds of pods, sponges, filter feeders. Essentially it's the ocean in all its glory, and it sacrifices pristine glass and beautiful corals so that the DT can thrive as a spotless glass bowl housing these 30-60 dollar 1" pieces of awesomeness.
Without a doubt, my Sump is the most valuable part of my system.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to set up a 'fuge in my second chamber... there are a few baskets with lights that shine thru the glass. Just have to cut and peel off the back cover in that one section. Thats one thing I dont have, is the luxury of a sump with the extra water volume and a place to grow algae. A 10g sump would practically double my water volume.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to set up a 'fuge in my second chamber... there are a few baskets with lights that shine thru the glass. Just have to cut and peel off the back cover in that one section. Thats one thing I dont have, is the luxury of a sump with the extra water volume and a place to grow algae. A 10g sump would practically double my water volume.

I did the whole fuge in the back chamber thing. You should do a Sump, it's gonna make your life easier.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clue how I could set up a sump on that tank. I'm not going to drill a hole in the back of it. It looks too nice for all that...

I'd drop a eshopps pf nano overflow in that thing so quick it'd make your head spin! Lol as long as you have 4"x 2" in that back chamber you'll be golden

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna be tight if it fits. Not sure on the water flow either. Third chamber is almost exactly 3"x4". That'll leave 1/2" in the front for water to flow into the overflow and it might not fit all the way into the chamber. Depends on how deep it sits.

OP
OP
ReeferMadness80G

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m making my 40b sps dominated because of you. Thanks a lot lol. Jk. I hope mine turns out as cool as urs.

That's quite the compliment Brett, just remember to go slowly. Patience is key, the only things that happen over night with this hobby are bad things.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back