My RO Buddie unit just hit ONE year old mark. Anything I should be worried about?

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this "100gal 3 stage unit" when I started the hobby a year ago, and it's still running at 0 TDS! (Of course the DI part was replaced twice already). I estimated I've done 200gal+ water change but TDS still reads 0 as of today. Is there any hidden stuff that I don't know? Or it's still good? My tap water is Hard Rock (700TDS average).

20201031_143340.jpg

OP
OP
Subnautica

Subnautica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always changed my carbon and sediment filters when I change my DI.

If you haven't changed them in a while, might be a good idea. RO membranes should last several years.

Hi! Wait, If you think they should last several years, why do you replace them?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah sorry I misunderstood. Thanks.

The rule of thumb is 6 months for the pre-filters, but that isn't anywhere near a precise timing. The amount of water and what is in the water are the determining factors. Another method is to install a pressure gauge after the pre-filters. Once the pressure starts to drop you know the filters are getting clogged and it is time to change them. Another way it to track how much water you are running thru your system. According to Aquaticlife, your prefilters are good for 1500 gallons of total water thru them. If your system is running 1:3 ratio, you are looking at 800+ gallons thru your system at this point based on the 200+ gallons you say you have made.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back