My Rose BTA is shriveled up, deflated and losing tentacles

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is going on? This is day 5. Yesterday it expelled waste and today its since moved and very deflated and looks as if it’s missing tentacles. There is a picture from yesterday and one today.
Parameters
Ph 8.2
KH 10
Calc 440
Mag 1400
Phosphate .25
Nitrate 5
Temp 75
Salinity 1.024

IMG_2537.jpg
e9d67beba628551b0a2479e0588d3472.jpg

OP
OP
Cfellini91

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it and what's the lighting?

I have had it 2 months. It was fine and a couple weeks ago looked as if it was splitting but then he started acting like this. I have 2 lights. I have a stock light that came with the tank (24g Aquatop) and I bought a new light about a month ago. I can’t recall. It’s a 24/7 light.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it 2 months. It was fine and a couple weeks ago looked as if it was splitting but then he started acting like this. I have 2 lights. I have a stock light that came with the tank (24g Aquatop) and I bought a new light about a month ago. I can’t recall. It’s a 24/7 light.
Ok 2 months isn't super long. The lighting change a month ago might have something to do with it.

Any aggressive usage of carbon or supps added recently?

OP
OP
Cfellini91

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok 2 months isn't super long. And the lighting info isn't ideal cause 24/7 light puts off all sort of alarm bells in my head without knowing more about the type of light, its wattage, etc.

I bought the light at the LFS. The manager has been super helpful and told me this light in tandem with my other light is more than enough for my tank. He has been solid in everything. Here is an amazon link to the exact light
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...anted+plus&dpPl=1&dpID=51IHJkJglKL&ref=plSrch

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the light at the LFS. The manager has been super helpful and told me this light in tandem with my other light is more than enough for my tank. He has been solid in everything. Here is an amazon link to the exact light
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L...anted+plus&dpPl=1&dpID=51IHJkJglKL&ref=plSrch
I wasn't saying the light was not sufficient for your tank. Quite the contrary. Adding it a month after you got the rbta may have shocked it a bit. They are more sensitive to LEDs and their adjustment IME. Have never lost one under T5 or halide, but have had clients fry a couple when they've played with their LED settings.

In general I'd say not to stress or make any drastic changes because of the rbta looking deflated. May have just been overfed and needing to clear out its system if you've been feeding it. Best to give it a few more days to recover before trying anything drastic I think.

OP
OP
Cfellini91

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't saying the light was not sufficient for your tank. Quite the contrary. Adding it a month after you got the rbta may have shocked it a bit. They are more sensitive to LEDs and their adjustment IME. Have never lost one under T5 or halide, but have had clients fry a couple when they've played with their LED settings.

In general I'd say not to stress or make any drastic changes because of the rbta looking deflated. May have just been overfed and needing to clear out its system if you've been feeding it. Best to give it a few more days to recover before trying anything drastic I think.

Thank you! That is what I am thinking. Today’s day five, I’ll give it a couple more days and see how he does. I’m stressed in losing him but also if he dies I’m scared he will crash the tank

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be that the hammer is stinging it. They are right next to each other. Normally I would never expect an anemone to lose a battle to a coral, but if it were already stressed, perhaps.

Anemones also just do weird things too often. I say continue monitoring and keep posting pictures of the progress.

OP
OP
Cfellini91

Cfellini91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could also be that the hammer is stinging it. They are right next to each other. Normally I would never expect an anemone to lose a battle to a coral, but if it were already stressed, perhaps.

Anemones also just do weird things too often. I say continue monitoring and keep posting pictures of the progress.

The BTA normally has its spot on the back of the tank. One thing I thought of last night. A couple months back I bought 2 peppermint shrimp to take out Apatisia in the tank. Once they wiped it out they started going after my hammer. So I got ride of them. I had some come back so I went and got another peppermint last Friday. Sunday last week is when the BTA was moving around and becoming stressed. I believe the peppermint is the culprit. I called the LFS and they said they are all from the same “batch” it’s not common but possible.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BTA normally has its spot on the back of the tank. One thing I thought of last night. A couple months back I bought 2 peppermint shrimp to take out Apatisia in the tank. Once they wiped it out they started going after my hammer. So I got ride of them. I had some come back so I went and got another peppermint last Friday. Sunday last week is when the BTA was moving around and becoming stressed. I believe the peppermint is the culprit. I called the LFS and they said they are all from the same “batch” it’s not common but possible.

It is possible and I have seen it. I had a Peppermint Shrimp go after a newly added BTA that was stressed from shipping. Normally I would not have worried about the anemone in that situation, but he was in a weakened state.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back