My Royal Gramma is being mean

BrownCow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first 2 fish in the tank were a midas blenny and a royal gramma and it was fine until I added the third fish. I really wanted to add a Kamohara Blenny so I did and i was so worried that him and the midas wouldn't get along i didn't even think about the rg and of course the 2 blennies get along fine and the rg is the one being aggressive. So my question is will he stop being aggressive once he gets used to the fish?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Some fish will just be mean, especially to others of similar body type. My orchid dottyback killed a Court Jester goby a few days after I added him. I would wait a week or so and then reassess. When feeding, keep a watchful eye on all of the fish and make sure that they are all eating.

DanH86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas seem to hate new fish. My gramma is being aggressive towards my Firefish that was added Saturday. He’s had part of his fin nipped off. It’s subsided from nipping to snarling since then so hopefully it’ll go completely over time.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by aggressive.....taking shots and the others....or simply opening his mouth super wide.
If the latter, absolutely gramma behavior, it’s how he tells others, this is my territory.

I have not ever witnessed a gramma, hit, bite or continuously chase anyone.
B21DAB50-9D79-499F-AE60-C1F48FDB6C3B.jpeg

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by aggressive.....taking shots and the others....or simply opening his mouth super wide.
If the latter, absolutely gramma behavior, it’s how he tells others, this is my territory.

Agree 100%^^^^^^^

OP
OP
BrownCow

BrownCow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It seems like my gramma is constantly keeping an eye on the new fish and is guarding ALL the rocks and he did actually bite the new fish once too.

OP
OP
BrownCow

BrownCow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas seem to hate new fish. My gramma is being aggressive towards my Firefish that was added Saturday. He’s had part of his fin nipped off. It’s subsided from nipping to snarling since then so hopefully it’ll go completely over time.
It sucks man. I'm thinking about removing mine if he keeps it up

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru the odyssey of having a mean gramma for almost a year. Constantly picked on every fish in the tank. Finally I just had enough and took most of the corals out and dismantled the rock to capture it. Best thing I ever did.

OP
OP
BrownCow

BrownCow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru the odyssey of having a mean gramma for almost a year. Constantly picked on every fish in the tank. Finally I just had enough and took most of the corals out and dismantled the rock to capture it. Best thing I ever did.
dang, it suck to have to do that but I'm not having it. I'm giving mine 1 more day and if he doesn't chill out he's gone.

William Morris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it wasn't bad and the rebuild was painless and actually looked better. Good luck trying to catch it. Tried everything and then just went full throttle and tore it down.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gramma is an excellent fish generally.....relax....give him some time to show others where he lives.
I kept these for more than 25 years, it should settle out.....

Mine did this as well.....on and off for a month or so....

Are you sure that’s a gramma?
I have seen many mislabeled dotty backs.....and then the behavior Becomes normal....

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RG's often "pose" by taking an aggressive mouth fully open stance in the presence of new fish. I've never seen any sort of attack, nipping, etc. They are "all hat and no cows" in my book.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back